Thread: Temps up North

Default Temps up North

Can anyone tell me the temps up around glennallen or delta. I would like the head up there and chase some critters this week. I just dont want to freeze my #$# off. Thank you for the info.

Probably colder than us and we are still -45ish consistantly. Bring your long underwear LOL! Good Luck

Default Cold

Do they make heated long underware? I might wait a couple of days if its that cold.

Default Not sure on Glennallen

but the interior is supposed to stay COLD!

Default -40

been very cold here to in the -30s and 40s!! oh well it wont last global warming remember!!

Default cold

Thats my question global warming. It has been -25 for the last week here in wasilla. This is getting a little old.

I live in Delta and at 3 pm I had -50 at my house. It is supposed to get colder this week all the way to the weekend. Not sure the critters will be moving. Our high's here are staying in the -40 range.

Default Temps

Thanks for the info. I just hope this weather breaks.

We've had -40 to -50 hear in Nenana for about a week now. It's been killing me not getting out to hunt. I am going out tomorrow though. My wife got me one of those Lava Buns hunting seats for Christmas that I didn't think I'd ever use, but maybe I will give it a try tomorrow.

It's still cold and not expected to 'heat up' until Thursday and even then, it's only to 30 below-ish.

I'd wait if you are not used to the cold cold temperatures. 10 below is one thing and 40 below is a whole different approach on being outdoors, trapping included.

Rock Skipper is a good person to talk to. He's in Delta Jct as well. (or at least towards that area)
    Lurker.

Default Cold hunting

I went out the other day and it was -44 in Nenana. Saw a bunch of moose and one trapper, but that was it. I went with the heat packs in the mittens and bunny boots and it worked great for 6 hours. I was truck hunting though and made 7 15-20 minute stands without any problems. My typical cutoff is -32, but I can't stand it anymore and changing my rules.

So snocamoman did you run into anything? Its just got to feel good to get out.

Default Cold weather huntin'

akhunter,
    I didn't see any predators, just the moose and 1 Hawk which tried dive bombing the ecaller. I was glad that I got to test out the shotgun in those temperatures to make sure it would cycle. No problems with it cycling those 3" #4's. If any of you like to hunt when it hits the -20 and below range, make sure you if you're using a semi auto to strip out all of the grease/oil and go with a drylube. My AR didn't like to cycle at -30 until I stripped it and Moly lubed it. Now it works and cycles fine in any temp. I've never been able to get my Ruger 10/22 mag to cycle though in -30 temps and it drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I've never been able to get my Ruger 10/22 mag to cycle though in -30 temps and it drives me crazy.
    Try CCI mini mags in your 10-22, I have had 4 10-22s over the years and 2 of them would not cycle with anything but CCI mini mags till I weakened the bolt spring some. Them little mini mags are a hot little round and may cycle it for you even in the cold. Love the 10-22!

Andy

Default Good tip

Thanks for the info ADfields, I'll give it a shot and see how it works. I hope it works because I would like to have a reliable 22mag semi auto for the cold weather.

Heat wave coming through today. Started out at -40 and in the last hour jumped up to -32. wind is starting to come up a little, so the wind chill is still going to be down there. Good luck