Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules for a gunfight!

Default Rules for a gunfight!

Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight

RULES FOR A GUN, KNIFE, BASEBALL BAT OR FIST FIGHT
    1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker and go to cover. Distance is your friend. (Bulletproof cover and diagonal or lateral movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a semi or full-automatic long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Yell "Fire!" Why "Fire"? Cops will come with the Fire Department, sirens often scare off the bad guys, or at least cause then to lose concentration and will.... and who is going to summon help if you yell "Intruder," "Glock" or "Winchester?"

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. "No battle plan ever survives 10 seconds past first contact with an enemy."

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. Practice reloading one-handed and off-hand shooting. That's how you live if hit in your "good" side.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket." At a practice session, throw you gun into the mud, then make sure it still works. You can clean it later.

26. Practice shooting in the dark, with someone shouting at you, when out of breath, etc.

27. Redardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I bel
    ieved him.
    I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Finally, Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.

1: Never be unarmed.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mark

These guidelines are very close to what I was taught, except for Rule #1:

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.
    The rule taught to me was:

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need. Also bring hand grenades and communication to artillery support, air support, and the guy carrying the nuclear football. Just as it's important to bring a gun to a knife fight, it's important to bring ordnance to a gun fight, artillery to a grenade exchange, Apache gunships to a tank battle, and nuclear warheads to a regional conflict. In short, always outgun the opponent.

Along the same lines, I got this shirt for christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris Willhoite

Good post mud. I like it, I like it a lot. "There is no fair fight. There is the living and the dead."

Default #5?

I agree with all except #5. I think its important most of the time, but there are times when cover, concealment, phone call, radio call are all secondary. You need to become the hunter. Take it to the person who picked the wrong guy to mess with. Finish the fight, and win!
    Also so important to shoot in the dark and low light.

Thanks AKMud, excellent post.

Question

I think rule #1 should be: If at all possible and in every way you can,
    AVOID ALL GUN FIGHTS! If you break rule #1, see rules #2-29.

Great post AKMUD, and excellent rules to mull on at any given time throughout your day.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    I think rule #1 should be: If at all possible and in every way you can,
    AVOID ALL GUN FIGHTS! If you break rule #1, see rules #2-29.

Great post AKMUD, and excellent rules to mull on at any given time throughout your day.
    I agree, he has it at 23 but it's #1 for sure!

Andy

Default lol

i enjoyed reading these thanks

Default Cutting air

I think this website is called the Alaska Outdoores Forum and I don't see the need for any of this nonsense . It's too bad you guys are all probably too young to have been drafted back in the late sixties , too bad , you could have found out there's nothing too great about slinging lead with another human being . I'd guess we're pretty crime free compared to america and that's why alot of people are here , pretty much hunting and fishing guys right ? Let's clean it up .

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    I think this website is called the Alaska Outdoores Forum and I don't see the need for any of this nonsense . It's too bad you guys are all probably too young to have been drafted back in the late sixties , too bad , you could have found out there's nothing too great about slinging lead with another human being . I'd guess we're pretty crime free compared to america and that's why alot of people are here , pretty much hunting and fishing guys right ? Let's clean it up .
    I suppose you could always complain to a moderator. Believe it or not there are people here whose employment brings a significant risk of getting into a gunfight. Other people just frequent the Dimond Center Mall! I think the "shooting" section of this forum is a pretty good place to post such things. BTW, there is a "hunting" and a "fishing" section of this board too. If you object to the subject matter in this section, don't view it. If you oppose self defense or learning skills and mindset that could save your life, that's up to you, but there's no reason to lecture people who choose otherwise.

Oh, good luck with the moderator / OP; he's a cop....

Default Ak

I've been here for over 25 years , never have even had a thought of needing a firearm for people problems . Nobody I know in Tok , nobody I knew on Afognak or Kodiak ever talked to me about needing to pack because of people problems , just bears . I don't doubt that city life can scare somebody and unfortunately we do have urbanization in this grand country and I don't doubt that cops might like to hang out and talk shop all I'm saying is that this isn't the place . "Alaska Outdoors Forum " , talk about fishing and hunting not gunfights , I'd suggest a urban life website .

I've been here for over 25 years , never have even had a thought of needing a firearm for people problems . Nobody I know in Tok , nobody I knew on Afognak or Kodiak ever talked to me about needing to pack because of people problems , just bears . I don't doubt that city life can scare somebody and unfortunately we do have urbanization in this grand country and I don't doubt that cops might like to hang out and talk shop all I'm saying is that this isn't the place . "Alaska Outdoors Forum " , talk about fishing and hunting not gunfights , I'd suggest a urban life website .
    You moved to the right place then, you're just posting in the wrong spot. None of us lust for blood, we stay prepared to protect our lives and the lives of our loved ones. I hope that Tok is always as safe as you say it is, unfortunately for the majority of us living in or near an urban center is a job-requirement. I believe this is an entirely appropriate thread, considering the HUGE number of home-robberies in the Mat-Su and Anchorage this year.

You may not be interested in this thread, so don't read it! Urban Life website? We are all Alaskans, even if we do live in a higher population density. You don't have to be drafted to understand that taking any life is unfortunate, I take offense at your ignorance and the implication that we who have to protect our lives and families are somehow raining on your "Outdoors Parade." Stay out of the shooting forum and start your own about "non-confrontational solutions to armed invaders" if you don't like the subject-matter.

Jay

And the murders in Bethel were?

No community, regardless of how safe it is generally, is exempt from bad guys.

Juneau doesn't have many murders. I think the guy that was shot at Fred's was the first in 6 years at the time.

Wasn't it in Tok where the guy was claiming rights to public water and tried to shoot his way into proving his point? Or was that Delta?

It happens everywhere. Not often, but it does happen.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

That's my favorite.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Logman,

You are entitled to your opinion so by no means think that I am bashing you. The "rules" that I posted had a bit of humor, but a LOT of common sense when it comes to self defense.

I'm not saying we should go out and look for a gunfight, this was intended to bring to light some personal protection insight. I take defense of myself and my family very seriously....even in Alaska. I've lived here for nearly 38 years and have been in law enforcement for just over 11 years now. I have taken many assault reports and been on murder crime scenes where the story would have turned out MUCH different if the victim had been prepared for an attacker. The #1 rule within the police force is to ALWAYS "1 up" your opponent and these rules simply were pointing that out with a bit of humor.

Take it as you will, but when some gang banger in Anchorage tries to take advantage of me or my family, the story WILL be in our favor.

Also, self defense, concealed carry, etc... are popular topics in this shooting forum so there is no better place to post this that I can see.

All the best there in Tok and stay safe!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mark

I think this website is called the Alaska Outdoores Forum and I don't see the need for any of this nonsense.....
    Why? Gunfights occur outdoors, too.

....It's too bad you guys are all probably too young to have been drafted back in the late sixties , too bad , you could have found out there's nothing too great about slinging lead with another human being....
    1) There are plenty of military veterans who are very young who participate on this board who have exchanged lead-slinging in foreign lands while wearing military uniforms

2) The exchange of lead-slinging isn't restricted to military activity........which is the point of the thread

3) The exchange of lead-slinging is fairly well recognized as an unfortunate and unpleasant activity...............and that certainly doesn't eliminate the need to do so on rare occasion

.....I'd guess we're pretty crime free compared to america and that's why alot of people are here , pretty much hunting and fishing guys right ? Let's clean it up .
    Obviously, this has disturbed you a bit. Maybe you shouldn't have opened a thread titled "Rules of a Gunfight" and stuck to hunting and fishing threads?

Default New rule #1

I humbly offer forth the following rule #1 of gunfights:
    1. Avoid getting into a gunfight if at all possible
    2. If you can't avoid getting into said gunfight.......

Default Rumor

My trapping buddy here in Tok tells me there are guys welding Tech 9's to their car doors in anch and fbks , a gangster thing I guess but it seems heard to believe that kind of mentality exists in this great Country but I guess you guys are packing in fear of that , sad situation .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast