Thread: Day one of Build

Default Day one of Build

My first order of business with this rough inletted stock I have is to inlet the lock first. You need to dissasemble the lock to do so and that requires a mainspring remover tool. I placed my order for it last night.

In the meantime Ill get my feet wet by prepping the buttplate and triggerguard. These parts come to your door in really rough shape! the sprues stick up at least a 1/4".

Just from the short amount of filing I've done I figure there will be 2 hours minimum on getting these parts ready for attachment.

here are some pics to let you see what you get from the maker
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    My first order of business with this rough inletted stock I have is to inlet the lock first. You need to dissasemble the lock to do so and that requires a mainspring remover tool. I placed my order for it last night.

In the meantime Ill get my feet wet by prepping the buttplate and triggerguard. These parts come to your door in really rough shape! the sprues stick up at least a 1/4".

Just from the short amount of filing I've done I figure there will be 2 hours minimum on getting these parts ready for attachment.

here are some pics to let you see what you get from the maker
    Sounds as though you're about as patient as I am......

What took you so long? I mean, you've had that kit for two or three days now! ;-)

Those are good looking components, BTW! If you haven't filed brass before, I'd stop further from final dimensions than you think you need to, then switch to successively finer sandpaper. It's easy to get deep scratches with a file, and you'll have to do a lot of sanding anyway. Just don't want those scratches too deep.

Too bad I don't live closer. I've got a mainspring clamp, though frankly it's a good idea to have one in case you ever have problems.

Matt,

Good stuff! I also have a mainspring vise..doing a pair of 10 ga flintlock fowlers. Trying to get setteled enough to get them going again. Love the pics, our builds shouldnt be to far off from eachother. Bought my kit from Chambers flintlocks.