Thread: Powder/primer shortage

Default Powder/primer shortage

Hey fellow reloaders. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but thought I would put in info I found out. Have not posted on forum for awhile as I moved down to AZ in Oct (military PCS).

Went to Sportasmans Warehouse yesterday in Pheonix to try to buy powder and primers. The shelves were bare, no powder available out of the 7 common types I requested. Only a few hundred primers none of which I needed. Handgun and rifle bullets were also picked over to the point that I could find nothing usable. I asked 2 different employees if SW was going under or in financial difficulty. They said they were recently bought out by a large corporation, but were in good shape?? Said all reloading component/ammo shortage directly related to the new political administration scare and the stockpiling that ensued after the election results. They said their other stores in Mesa and Tucson were in the same shape so don't waste the time driving!! I have also heard the large Cabela's store in Glendale is in about the same shape, but cannot confirm. I have been told from guys down here that everyone is afraid of the 500% sales tax that new administration has made mention of on firearms/ammo/reloading components?? News to me??

I did find some components at smaller local shops. One said they placed an order last week for 300 lb of powder and only received 30 lb. They said the distributors are all backordered and it will hopefully get better in a few weeks??

Just wanted to share the info so you know that the shortages are not just in AK.

Have a Blessed New Year
    Kevin

Thanks for taking the time Kevin to give a lower 48 report. There have been a few posts here suggesting that the "over reaction" is more Alaskan than US. However, I suspected that the rest of the country was in the same boat...a much larger boat than just us. I'll be traveling back home to Illinois/Wisconsin at the end of the month, and I'll go to the Cabella's in Milwaukee for a first hand view myself. I'll also be in Tuscon in March. I doubt that I'll see anything different than you have reported, not for a long time.

Just got back from visiting family in Missouri. Went to both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop. I talked to a salesman at Bass Pro, they are having the same problem keeping stock of primers, powder and handguns as we are here in AK. Almost no primers on the shelves. Bass Pro's handgun cases were only half full. They had just received a shipment of long guns they had been waiting on for a while.

Cabelas had a good stock of handguns. Had a decent stock of primers compared to what we've seen lately. Didn't ask about powder at either store. Boxed ammo stock was good at both stores.

Definately no AR's at either store.

Did learn one thing while shopping around in Missouri, DANG we're overpaying for boxed ammo. The few boxed I knew AK pricing on are running between $6-10 more per box to purchase in AK.

You could always try Midway.com.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrman View Post
    You could always try Midway.com.
    MidwayUSA.com ... Don't forget the USA part

Andy

No real new info, but just continuation of story. The handgun section at SW in Pheonix was half empty and no suprise, zero AR's. One sales guy said they had about 30 in stock that sold the day after election!!! The factory ammo was very bare too. I was at the Glendale Cabela's just after Thanksgiving and the line for the gun counter was abou 4-5 people deep the whole length of the counter. I was going to check on powder, but it is kept behind the counter down here and you had to take a number and wait for it to be called! There were over 100 people with numbers waiting so I did not wait. Have heard from many sources that the lines in this store have been this way for quite some time! It seems the firearms and ammunition industry is not quite having the economic slump that the rest of the economy is suffering!
    I hate to add to the general stockpiling/shortage problem we are now seeing, but think I will be buying up as many components as I can find and afford.