Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: canoeing pictures

Default canoeing pictures

post your pictures of your canoe adventures here
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Two on a little car

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default 2008 Canoeing pictures

My 3 year old fishing:

and camping on an island:

All that fun is hard work. Nap time:

Default canoe questions

Awesome pictures. You're living my dream. What size canoe is this? I'm new to canoe vocab, forgive the ignorance, but is the flat stern considered a "freighter?"

Default freighter

I bet someone else here can quote the exact definition of what is or isn't a "freighter canoe", but my belief is because this style of canoe can haul a large load; mine is rated for close to 1600# (more than my truck).
    My Scott Albany is described here. A fine boat.

Quote Originally Posted by a99collectible View Post
    Awesome pictures. You're living my dream. What size canoe is this? I'm new to canoe vocab, forgive the ignorance, but is the flat stern considered a "freighter?"

The term "freighter" seems to differ with region but this forum seems to consider any flat-ended canoe as a freighter......not so in most places East of Alaska.

Many companies have made their 15'-18' double ended canoes available with a square stern for those wishing to use outboard power. Usually they were simply referred to as "square stern". This was a simple modification of canoes designed for paddling.

I find that I prefer a motor side mount over a square stern on a paddling canoe. This would be for the minimal HP outboards of 4HP and less.

I believe it was Alumacraft that made an 18" aluminum canoe with a wine-glass stern also.

I find the 19' Grumman a bit wide at 42" to be considered a "paddling canoe" and probably consider it the small end of the Freighter spectrum.

The Freight Canoes developed in Canada with the advent of larger outboards as the advantages of the canoe hull design were desired for remote travel. Freight Canoes were not designed to be paddled in the conventional manner and usually ranged from 20' to 26'.

The long, narrow hull design is used in many areas of the world where users are concerned about load capacity and fuel consumption. The mexicans make a very nice 22' to 26' glass boat "panga" that is very efficient and versatile. An exact copy of that boat is now made in Fairbanks and sold as a Yukon boat or some such. Usually they are run with 50 HP + outboards....a very tough and versatile boat.

Being retired, I may have more time to relax on my trips than those with tight schedules so I often opt for less power on my Scott Hudson Bay.....I have both a 20 and an 8 HP 4 stroke. Most of my trips are big lakes or slower rivers and the 8 HP does just fine. The 20HP is usually only run at half throttle unless heading upstream. Very relaxing to quietly cruise along the shores and see the wildlife or troll down and catch a lake trout for dinner.

For those of you that like canoe travel in remote country, find some of Cal Rutstrum's books, "Once Upon A Wilderness", Chips From A Wilderness Log", Back Country". A fellow MN Swede, I met Cal some 50 years ago and canoed some of his areas. Our gear today is far superior but those old-timers had a wealth of knowledge for canoeing the bush

Hey familyman, how do you like your tohatsu. I once had a Tohatsu made by merc and was in awe of how reliable that little thing was. I've oftentimes regretted getting rid of it. Do you have any comparisons to make regarding your current Tohatsu against any prior motors that you have owned and/or have experience with?

Default Tohatsu

I love it.

My understanding is that Tohatsu makes all the mercs under a certain HP... I think about 30 or so...

Hard for me to make a comparison since this is the first brand new motor I've ever owned. Lots of power, starts great, weighs little enough for me to mount the motor alone, though it is a 4 stroke.

And its quiet too. Last year I was off the beaten path on a quiet river, slowly approaching a guy on his dock early in the morning; I was probably only 50 feet away when he first heard me - he about jumped out of his skin, thinking he was all alone out there... At that same slowest speed the motor is quiet enough to sneak up on riverside caribou. Try that in a 2 stroke!

New toys in store for this Tohatsu will be a River Runner skeg protector this year, and maybe a lift too.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hey familyman, how do you like your tohatsu. I once had a Tohatsu made by merc and was in awe of how reliable that little thing was. I've oftentimes regretted getting rid of it. Do you have any comparisons to make regarding your current Tohatsu against any prior motors that you have owned and/or have experience with?

On our website, markandchrislundin.com, on the outdoors page we have several canoe and kyak trips on the Paw Paw after a snow, and while it was the highest I have seen it in 11 years.

This one is taking a winter canoe trip on the Paw Paw River in SW Michigan after a good snow.

Hello again familyman. Thanks for the good news on your tohatsu. I def. had a typo there. i tryed to type "a merc made by Tohatsu" Tohatsu seems to have alot going for it. I run that prop protector and it does help alot. If you get into the shallows you can just plow your way though. You aren't planting the prop on bottom and loosing power. The only problem you will have is when you turn though, but it's better than nothing. It could probably be modified by adding two small steel bars that run from the skeg to the anti cav. plate. By following the theme with this thread, here is a couple pics:
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09-28-2009 at 10:58.

Default So,, I got

my packet from Scott Canoes this weekend..
    Looks like a trip to canada in the near future...
    I will update as things progress..
    Thanks
    Max

Be neat to see the Scott sold up here. You need to look up Yukoner in WH. Want to put your bedliner material on my 21 foot Scott Keels this spring, if it will hold up on your rental fleet on lo water Swanson it will work about anywhere. Was impressed with lack of wear on them when I stopped by last summer. Kurt

A couple of concept. drawings for a lift for my Scott need help designing somthing that
    will work with the splach guard and rear seat arangment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Scott

Little Sue & Scott

Looks like you are ready for adventure

Default Hawaiian canoes

Some canoe pis from Oahu

Default More Hawaiian Canoes

Some of them were huge in excess of 30'

a couple pictures from moose hunting and a picture of just a trip while camping

looks like you are rady for adventure.

catrina

Meth Addiction

http://www.crystalrecovery.com

My Fiancee's first fish. She is standing in front of my Coleman Scanoe at Eklutna Lake.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Little Su

September 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast