Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: kayaking pictures

Default upper Gulkana roadside fun

2 Yaks, and river gear, tent for camping, etc.,the bike for the shuttle with the front wheel taken off for compact packing, all in our car. Packing tight and saving gas dollars makes an adventure like this about a $75.00 trip. This was a 24 hour round trip from Wasilla.
    Put in 5 miles past Paxson right below summit lake, take out on the Denali highway. Higher water is better.
    MO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Portage River

Maybe some of the safer moving water in Alaska for beginner kayaking, alittle wood along the shore in places, but the river is wide. My 9 and 10 year old were ready for their first time in their own boat. It was family fun and worth the drive from the valley.
    MO's gang

Default Important IK Safety gear

After almost breaking my Femur on lionshead i knew leg pads were ok with me.
    I like rocky fast streams and a proper IK re flip and mount WITHOUT planting a foot to avoid entrapment exposes the legs to unseen rock impacts.
    These football pants and shin guards have worked pretty good. My thigh straps don't catch on any pads and its pretty comfy.
    If you run steep rocky streams, sooner or later you might be picking up a pair.
    Does anyone have a better idea than football pants.

Default Transporting boats

Two common methods used. You suffer, then suffer a little more, then you get the reward.

Default Puny humans

My third decent of granite creek. Darth Vader/ Jimmy running a typical rapid with Chad at the top. When I pause and ponder my significance, while absorbing the surroundings,it is humbling.

Default Redgate run, lower Willow Cr.

The best upper beginner or lower intermediate run in the valley....... There are several fun class ll drops and two drops in the ll+ to class lll range, it is fun, rather safe and a super training ground. There are numerous rocks scattered throughout the rapids so you can increase your eddy catching skills and increase maneuvering skills.
    Top and bottom of the first rapid, some call it a lll, Tim gave it a ll+.

Default Redgate part 2

The biggest rapid on the Redgate run called wave train. The sneak route is left of the giant rock, the fun skill building route is right, then try and run your boat between the boulders behind it. this is about 800cfs.

Default wood

A threat anytime you place your kayak in an Alaskan creek . We cannot figure out how Chads boats went under this log, but it did. On this blind corner two of us went right over the log, his boat nosed i guess at the wrong time, and got sucked under with him in it.
    Our response time to find out where Chad was came far to slow,If he had been trapped he would have died before we could have rescued him. This time everything was ok, we now carry this lesson with us and ask ourselves every time we run a tough drop etc,could we respond in time or at all.
    Our other fault was the middle guy lost sight of the last guy and the chain of communication was broken, this is unacceptable on whitewater.
    Just sharing a lesson, and I hope this can prove the importance of communication and reaction time to mishaps.
    For a great read, find Blackadars account of losing a friend, none of us wants to live with anything like that.

Default WoW

I have never done whitewater kayaking. We used to run open canoes and spent quite a bit of time waterlogged in them, but never ran them through this kind of water.
    Very cool photos. Really some neat scenery, color, and texture. Thanks for sharing.

Default Colorado River below Hoover dam

the wife and I decided to take the tour down Black Water Canyon on the colorado last Fall. 13 miles was nice, peaceful and relaxing. the hot springs that you get to soak in were incredible. Would do it again too.PA210028.jpg

Default additional pics of the Colorado

PA210039.jpgHere is another pic of the Hoover dam Area

Default Little Su

Fun at 500 cfs,with lots of rocks to maneuver around.

Default couple of pics

thye sea kayaking is in Homer around to the left of the harbor. thw Whitewater is my first adventure in a WW kayak at the slide on the Kenai.

Default more pics

more of the Kenai and Homer

Default around the Seward Harbor

On the Second day we headed towards the Sealife center. On the way back we picked up 2 seals that were way too curious. They folowed us back to where we were camping. At one point the larger one swam directly under my kayak flipped upside down and stayed right under there for about 30 seconds. This is one trip I'll never forget.

Default Gilahina river

Fairly continuous whitewater, a beautiful canyon and a decent amount of wood. Casey and Chad going through one of the several tight maneuvers in the canyon.

Default Gilahina

The rapids and canyon almost make the trip worth doing twice. The Chitna, the 27 mile float out after the fun, left a bad taste in my mouth/sand and silt. A great deterrent to repeat any stream in these woods.

Default Gilahina River

Did I mention wood on this river.

Default Chitna river

A couple of cool places

Default Klutina River

We caught it between a low and medium flow, most of the fun was from the many pourovers from the boulders in the river creating some fun holes to punch, and play in It was splashy and pretty continous and is one i want to try at higher water. Great scenery and if you pick the fun routes it is a good trip for most.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast