Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: kayaking pictures

Default blowing thru

looks like lots of fun and blowing thru the white stuff.
    great shots.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default willow fun

Punching through the hole on the last drop of the upper Willow right above the guardrail section. Chad having fun on Warm Up rapid at the beginning of the guard rail section. Spring is almost here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Tonsina adventure

Some fun nice drops and one scary wood section. Left Wasilla and drove to the river,did the car shuttle, ran the 25 miles of river and back home in 24 hours.

Default Tonsina Adventure

The beginning of the Haunted wood section and Chad under the cliff walls

Default upper Moose Creek

Take out where the pavement ends on buffalo mine road. Moose at 200 cfs. At this level the creek wakes up and is fun, at 250 cfs and higher it becomes harder and more serious. This is a great creek to build maneuvering skills and the continuous nature requires prolonged concentration at strong flows. This is a good creek to use as tool to progress into intermediate level kayaking. At low water 135 cfs or so the rocks are horrible at 250 cfs and higher you will not want to tip over. Overall this is a pretty safe creek to practice on, "BUT" watch for wood, it has recently been cleaned up a bit in the upper part, but the lower section is bad.

Default more Moose creek

Chad going through a spot we call Giggles, at 250 cfs, and another shot of the creeks continuous nature. Have fun. MO

markoathout

What month were these pictures taken?

Default Ch

They were taken at different times.

Default Kings river lower canyon

Paddlers eye view of the lower Kings canyon class V- drop, and a shot of the hole at the bottom of the drop about 100 yards from the top. At higher water a second violent hole forms at the white line below the river right side of the hole, sadly it is right below the tongue throught the top hole. This long drop is an absolute commitment once you begin,and it is steep at the top, with these holes below waiting on a swimmer. Chad and i rafted this drop with the Madwater boys and we found a portage route river left, where someone could put back in right below the drop. In our IK's we portaged on this route this trip, i don't know why. Every now and then a little voice says, " not today dummy" and i listen. On the other hand maybe i was still shell shocked, remembering how the tongues below smashed our raft side to side into the canyon walls. Yippee

A couple of fun drops, the irregular ledge drop is a little sticky,if you don't have momentum .

Jim Gonski, Chad and i went on an adventure up Permanante trail, put in under the magic mile and found a super fun class lll, lV and (V-) river. The scenery is awesome, with huge cliff walls. There are blind corners, with some wood, you will have to catch an eddy to stop. A picture of chad having fun, and peering around a corner in the canyon.

Default Brushkana creek fun

I think this is a fun little creek with great fishing down lower.

Default Brushkana creek fun

Take a fishing pole.

Default Mark

I am smiling all the way thru these pictures..
    Appreciate your work here and showing us some different waters and the views..
    very nice
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Brushcana Creek

What is the access for Brushcana Creek? I looked it up on the internet and in the Alaska Atlas. It looks like a fun area, and fishing is a plus.

Default Tonsina River

It looked like you floated the river in the spring? Is there enough volume for a 14' self bailer to go down that? How are the waves and hazards? I am a confident paddler on Class III and a cautious paddler on Class IV.

Default AK Flyster

Put in at Brushkana creek campground on the Denali highway, take out where the Nenana comes to the Denali highway. You will see the warning sign small parking lot. You could do it at a good medium flow, but this is a small stream. There are several rocks and continuous rapids, but its shallow and strainer free where the whitewater is. My second trip at a stronger flow than my first trip, I took my 8 and 9 year old in a 9 foot raft as a paddle team with my wife and 17 year old in IK'S. The kids and i kicked butt in the raft, my wife loved it, my oldest was scared and she has done the chickaloon section of the Mat. several times. If someones a class lll boater piece of cake. If someones a class ll boater they will learn something and live.
    Btw, below the big bluff river right, the creek is half a step harder for about one half a mile than any picture i posted, almost class lll at a good flow, but not quite.ll+

The hardest part from my point of view is the 12 mile flatwater boring Nenana part of the trip, but fish Seattle creek on the left as you pass it.

The greyling fishing in the holes below the whitewater is nuts at sunset, make sure you camp.
    Somewhere in the depths of this creek there is a camcorder/ camera that belongs to me, and has some really nice pics on it.
    Be safe have fun MO

Default Tonsina AKFlyster

I only floated this once so my memory somewhat gets jogged when i look at pictures.I hate trying to describe too much off of one trip, but this i can say, "the wood section is dangerous if you have a mishap". We came across two river wide strainers in hard class ll water with wood piled 10 feet tall totally lined down both banks and a few blind corners. The flood that caused this was obviously massive. This goes on for over a mile, but can be portaged, with work. (I am serious, be careful when you approach this section especially in a raft).
    The river has 6 major class lll+ lV- rapids depending on who you ask and the flow of the river will change things to. I thought the waves were excellent, large fun waves, that probably should be scouted in a raft.
    Yep!....its 25 miles of fun, and minus the wood a super trip.
    Read Embicks guide, he has a decent report.
    And yes it was spring.
    MO

Default AK Flyster

Thinking about your Tonsina question, i recommend that you call Keystone outfitters and talk to Sarah, she is a super nice lady, and i believe she has guided on the Tonsina. She could give better info than i. Also Chuck at Nova might be able to help.

Default upper Gulkana roadside fun

A fun tiny stream you will not drown in. 5 miles or so of ll- to ll+ continuous small rapids,these will put the stress test to beginners.
    My wife thinking, I SURVIVED.
    Try it, MO

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast