Thread: Swiss Ban C&R fishing

Default Swiss Ban C&R fishing

The Swiss have banned catch and release fishing. Although there are a few wrinkles in the regulation it looks as if C&R fishing is starting to go away in the EU. I know banning C&R has been discussed often in this forum often, it looks as if the Swiss (and possibly other EU countries) have gone and done it.

Not to mention they can no longer flush live goldfish down the toilet, have 360 degree clear aquariums, you can no longer have just one hamster nor teather a horse. For all you monkey fans, it looks as if Spain has "declared that monkeys and apes ("our mon-human brothers") may ot be killed or arbitrarily deprived of thier liberty.

Check out the last section in the "Earthweek" section in the ADN, it is located at B-2, sorry I couldn't find a link from the ADN website.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    The Swiss have banned catch and release fishing. Although there are a few wrinkles in the regulation it looks as if C&R fishing is starting to go away in the EU. I know banning C&R has been discussed often in this forum often, it looks as if the Swiss (and possibly other EU countries) have gone and done it.....
    That's okay by me. I like eating fish.

....Not to mention they can no longer flush live goldfish down the toilet.....
    Now, I wonder just how they're going to catch violators?

Environmentalists are all for laws and regulations, but they don't seem smart enough to figure out that if they're unenforceable, they may as well not pass it into law.

I read the article and was especially amused by the proposed regulations to prevent cruely to plants. I have just set my carrots and onions free to wander my yard.

I really do have to agree that some of their proposals are not enforcable....why have them??

Default C&R in other European countries

I don't think the Swiss are the first to ban C&R fishing. A while back I read an article that indicated either England or Germany also has a ban on C&R fishing in some areas. Also, it is illegal to fish near snags because the fish may break off in the snag and remain entangled in the snag only to die a slow death. And, these rules were mainly to address carp angling.

ClearCreek

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    I read the article and was especially amused by the proposed regulations to prevent cruely to plants. I have just set my carrots and onions free to wander my yard.........
    My wife (again) failed to completely harvest her garden, and sure enough, the moose are camped out there predating on the cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.

The poor, defenseless plants have no chance against a big, mean, old moose.

I should go out there and shoot the moose to protect the plants.............

There are many reasons that might necessitate catch and release fishing, such as conservation. However, "humane treatment" is not one...I don't know any fish that would not want to be released.