View Poll Results: How often do you grill outdoors in the winter?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • At least 1 or 2 times a week, and snow falling or 20 below doesn't slow me down a bit.

30 48.39%
  • 1 or 2 times a month, I like it, but its a lot harder than summer.

25 40.32%
  • Maybe 1 time per winter - maybe not.

6 9.68%
  • Not a chance, why grill outdoors in winter? That's dumb.

0 0%
  • I put my grill in winter storage and take it out each summer.

1 1.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grilling in winter?

Default grilling in winter?

Who grills outdoors all winter long? Yes, I do, but many look at me ODDly when I admit it.

I've tried, but being a charcoal man, I just can't get enough heat for long enough to do much with. Fairly thin burgers is about all. I suppose that a gas grill would work, but I prefer to have real wood and real wood smoke involved.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I made some great hot wings for new years eve on my charcoal grill. they work well in cold weather as does flank steak which has been marinated in soy sauce. I love standing out there warming my hands over the grill when it is cold out.

What kind of charcoal grill do you use? I have two; a small portable one that is about 16" square and a large home-made one in 1/8" steel diamond plate that is quite immobile, but in a bad spot to get at in the winter. So I've only tried using the smaller one set on the deck just outside the kitchen door. Perhaps it's just too small for the cold weather. It works great in the summer though.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I've tried, but being a charcoal man, I just can't get enough heat for long enough to do much with. Fairly thin burgers is about all. I suppose that a gas grill would work, but I prefer to have real wood and real wood smoke involved.
    Just a gasser here, but have found a great compromise. I bought grilling boards at Costco (they're like a buck apiece) and they are absolutely awesome.

You soak them in water for ~20 minutes, then use them. We used it on a couple salmon fillets and the flavor was superb. You can also save the board, re-soak them and use it again if you want. Give them a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    ... grilling boards ...
    I've seen em and heard good things about em, but I haven't used em.

I've got a couple red fillets sitting up front in the freezer that need to be cooked (the vacuum seal broke due to bone puncture). Might have to give this a try sometime... if the temperatures will just get rid of that minus sign.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have an "Aussie" grill that I bought this summer at a yard sale. I used to have a Brinkman that looks like a barrel or pipe laid on it's side that worked great.

I voted for 1-2 times a Month but actually more than that. But -20 is a bit to cold for grilling for me. I have 2 gas grills and 2 charcoal grills, but by far prefer the charcoal method. I also have a gas smoker that does it's best work at about +10.

Charcoal all the way for me! I am not sure what heat problems you are having, JOAT, but it has not been an issue with my charcoal weber. Is yours a weber? The new one has a propane starter, but I still use the old weber stack with news paper balled up to get the charcoal going. Toss a couple big chunks of mesquite on the coals and you have the base for some good grillin'! I have even slapped the pizza stone on the grill with a take and bake pizza. It turned out well. I have gotten some interesting looks from the neighbors, but that is nothing new. Blackened halibut is on the menu tonite. Here is a pic of a turkey smoked on the weber:

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Just a gasser here, but have found a great compromise. I bought grilling boards at Costco (they're like a buck apiece) and they are absolutely awesome.

You soak them in water for ~20 minutes, then use them. We used it on a couple salmon fillets and the flavor was superb. You can also save the board, re-soak them and use it again if you want. Give them a shot!
    Stop by home depot or lowes and pick up the damaged cedar fence planks. They end up being a lot cheaper than the pre-cut costco ones. I agree that salmon prepared this way is fantastic!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs up winter grilling is normal after all

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ... I prefer to have real wood and real wood smoke involved.
    I completely agree, but have bent my preferences to the ease of gas grilling. I do have a steel 2x2x10" woodchip box in there to get some real wood smoke involved.

The wife got me a huge silver Sam's club grill a few years back to further encourage me cooking instead of her cooking, and it worked. That grill can maintain any temperature up to 450 even in this cold snap we have. I rotisserie/grilled a 20 # turkey on thanksgiving and a lot of real wood smoke was involved.

I'm cheered to see 80% of responders grill regularly during winter. On that point at least, maybe I'm not as odd as I thought.

Default Winter cooking

Got a chicken and a pot of beans cooking on my charcoal powered big green egg -15deg. I love cooking in the winter, the smell floats all around the neighborhood in the cold still air.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Stop by home depot or lowes and pick up the damaged cedar fence planks. They end up being a lot cheaper than the pre-cut costco ones. I agree that salmon prepared this way is fantastic!
    Yeah, a couple good damaged boards and a few minutes with the skill saw would have me stocked up! That way, I could do a monster king if I wanted. Thanks for the tip...

I don't grill using charcoal but smoke using wood chunks in a nice sized smoker. Matter of fact, I smoked a Prime Rib on Christmas day for the wife. I'm itchin' to smoke up some brisket or ribs but it is a bit tad too cold right now. I generally draw the line when it gets below the zero mark.

I grill year round with charcoal in the Weber, I do use wood chips as well and have never had a problem with being to cold outside. A rick rack of ribs is set to go on the grill in about 30 minutes. Pic's to follow.

Spoiled one, nice looking turkey there, done that a couple times and man are they good!

I don't have quite the setup that I had at the last house. I had it to where I could keep all the required materials on the covered porch so they were dry and ready to use. I gave up the covered porch when I moved so we haven't done much grilling this year. I do have a mess of jalapeno cheese moose dogs that need to be grilled so I might have to break it out for lunch tomorrow.

A couple guys that I work with are using the Traeger grills and they love them.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Kind of expensive though.

Mike

We grill most of the winter though not normally at -30 lol.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Well, ya'll have got me fired up to dig a path to the "big" grill and torch it off. Must be that the little one just doesn't hold enough coal to get the job done. But the big'un ought to do it. Got salmon, got a pile of left over cedar fencing boards from one of last summer's projects, got charcoal, mesquite, hickory, matches... sounds like a cookout to me!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Right on JOAT, let us know how you like the fish on the grilling boards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast