Thread: Modify or leave alone...

Default Modify or leave alone...

I have a '72 win model 94 thuty thuty. It is in pretty good shape a few surface scratches but no major blemishes. It was my first gun and I keep thinking about putting a synthetic stock, true-glow or tritium site and having it coated so I will actually carry it.

The question is leave it alone or mod it, what are your thoughts?

Default do what you think is right

If it were mine I would probably do whatever I needed to to make it more useful.Besides if it was grandads or something like that I know my grandfather would rather see me using it in some way than it gathering dust in the safe and since its not old enough to be some distant ancestors rifle used "Taming the wild frontier" it should be used just like the good folks at winchester intended.
    just my 2 cents

although not pretty these, rifles function well and are reliable. they have a good reputation based on 100years of service. they can be much improved with better sights. using a tang sight or reciever sight the old rifle is faster on target and more accurate.

i have used williams (cheapest) ashley-xs sight systems, and marbles with complete satisfaction.

a lot of money can be spent on aftermarket parts, but the sight improvement will offer the most return.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Leave it

I carry and love my Win94BB. I have not had any problems with rust, I prep it by using Johnson's paste wax and carry a boresnake/oil/rag in a ziplock baggie in my daypack.
    It's your first gun so I would not change it at all. Now if you picked up a total beater, well coat-away! I have a Ruger pistol that was sent to Robar for their NP3 finish. It is tough and a dull gray which works well.

Ed

LuJon, i'm going to be doing my first duracoat job soon. If it turns out OK, and you still want to coat it with something similar, let me know and I might be able to help you out...

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am with e45colt, and simply coat mine with paste wax. I would guess by now that everyone on this forum knows my thoughts on rifle esthetics so it should come as no surprise that talking about synthetic stocks on a nice Winchester 94 tripped my gag reflex and made my eyes water…………. But hey, that’s just me. Bottom line is that a gun you wont use is really no use at all now is it? So do what you must.

I personally think that wear and tear to a blued gun simply adds character to the gun. To my eyes a well worn Winchester 94 with most of its blue gone and the stocks all dinged up looks much nicer than any stainless and synthetic “tool” that gets used for hunting. Besides, take a look at John Waynes movies, his guns weren’t all shiny and new looking, and I don’t remember ever hearing him ask Robert Mitchum, James Caan, or Glenn Campbell were he could find some plastic stocks and paint to keep them from rusting so they could go out and get the bad guys………..

Ok, I am sorry, I know that has got to be one of the most irrelevant and “embellished” things I have ever said on this forum……. But I thought it was funny!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I am with e45colt, and simply coat mine with paste wax. I would guess by now that everyone on this forum knows my thoughts on rifle esthetics so it should come as no surprise that talking about synthetic stocks on a nice Winchester 94 tripped my gag reflex and made my eyes water…………. But hey, that’s just me. Bottom line is that a gun you wont use is really no use at all now is it? So do what you must.

I personally think that wear and tear to a blued gun simply adds character to the gun. To my eyes a well worn Winchester 94 with most of its blue gone and the stocks all dinged up looks much nicer than any stainless and synthetic “tool” that gets used for hunting. Besides, take a look at John Waynes movies, his guns weren’t all shiny and new looking, and I don’t remember ever hearing him ask Robert Mitchum, James Caan, or Glenn Campbell were he could find some plastic stocks and paint to keep them from rusting so they could go out and get the bad guys………..

Ok, I am sorry, I know that has got to be one of the most irrelevant and “embellished” things I have ever said on this forum……. But I thought it was funny!
    Well I agree TOO:

Scars are Honorable on such a gun.

I suggest,,, Put a SLING on it, and if you can see the sights, carry as is. If not change the front sight to something you can see. Maybe, widen the notch in the rear sight, whatever.

My 94 has the barrel and magazine shortened, and a Lyman Receiver Sight, with a Marble square post at the front. Like Pinehaven says, "sight improvement will offer the most return."

Myself, I'd be less likely to use it, and more likely to sell it, (If I could) when it was plasticized, coated, and day-glowed.

JNOFO, (Jista Nother Old Farts Opinion)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default leave it

My 94 is an early 1950s model that I picked up for something like $125 about 15 years ago. The only thing I've done to it is put a Williams peep sight on. It was already drilled and tapped when I bought it. As I've mentioned before here on the forums, I still hunt with that gun. I originally bought it for hunting whitetails when I was stationed back East in the army, but I use it here as well. Most recently, I killed a pretty nice cinnamon bear with it.

Your gun is a bit newer than mine, but nevertheless, those guns have character. I've worn the bluing off the receiver from carrying it, and it has a couple dings in the stock, but when I compare it to a stainless/synthetic gun, it just looks more like what a hunting rifle should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a '72 win model 94 thuty thuty. It is in pretty good shape a few surface scratches but no major blemishes. It was my first gun and I keep thinking about putting a synthetic stock, true-glow or tritium site and having it coated so I will actually carry it.

The question is leave it alone or mod it, what are your thoughts?
    I'd leave it alone. I'm still wearing my butt cheeks up around my neck from kicking myself so long and so often. I modified or parted with most of my early guns, and years later, I'm more than sorry I did it.

If you want to trick out a 94, pick up another one and go to work. But the memories tied with that old one are way too valuable to mess with.

Besides, take a look at John Waynes movies, his guns weren’t all shiny and new looking, and I don’t remember ever hearing him ask Robert Mitchum, James Caan, or Glenn Campbell were he could find some plastic stocks and paint to keep them from rusting so they could go out and get the bad guys………..

Alangaq thank you for that. I have been having a crappy day at work and that made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd leave it alone. I'm still wearing my butt cheeks up around my neck from kicking myself so long and so often. I modified or parted with most of my early guns, and years later, I'm more than sorry I did it.

If you want to trick out a 94, pick up another one and go to work. But the memories tied with that old one are way too valuable to mess with.

bb; you're just making excuses to your wife to buy more guns! there's a few that i wish hadn't been sold.....a colt bisley .45, 4" blue m29, 25-20 marlin lever, redlabel 20ga etc.

you are probably right about buying another m94

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    bb; you're just making excuses to your wife to buy more guns!
    jh
    And how!!! Of course, she's giving me plenty of excused these days, deciding she likes some of mine and claiming them as her own. Talk about "self defense" guns..... Out of pure self defense I have to buy replacements if I want to shoot, too.

The one gun I really regret not owning never belonged to me in the first place. Back in the 50's when I was a kid my dad was a deputy in the Southwest. And he knew Bill Jordan, too, who worked in the next town. I've got my dad's hand tooled leather belt and holster with all the flowers and his name on the back and everything. But he sold his lifelong Colt SAA 45 before he died and before I got a chance at it.

Just like my wife, my kids have their pick of my guns any time they want them. The ones they find meaningful aren't going to slip through their fingers.

I have a handfull of rifles that are over 100 years old. And more than two handfulls that are over 50 years old. None of them have a fancy epoxy finish, nor are they made from stainless steel. All of them were carried in the field over those time periods and yet managed to stay in one piece with a little oil and lovin... Heck-fire one of them was in a boat that sank in sea water. And I'll bet that you can't tell which one.
    Everybody is starting to act like they could not go out the door with a wood stocked, blued rifle... whiskey tango foxtrot.?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Its obvious that most of us old guys have been there and done that with varying amounts of regret. Learn by our mistakes and leave the thutty thutty as is.

Its also obvious that many of you think as I do in that the gun your packing makes the hunt.

I returned to Missouri to deer hunt 2 years ago after a several year absence but the old gun that went along was the same one that made all of those trips in my earlier years.

The first night in camp there were eight of us sitting around the campfire and of course the rest were young pups compared to me. They were all talking about their WSM's and Ultras all in shiny and black. Million power scopes on all of them. About then Jr. goes into the RV and brings out my shooting stick. A well worn 1894 Marlin in 44 mag. The looks on their faces were evidence of the generation gap. I heard everything from where's the scope to you're not really hunting with that are you.

The rest of the night I was at center stage trying to place in those young lads minds a vivid account for each deer harvested with the little 44. I forgot a few and I made up a few but the boys loved em all.

Take that old gun out and use it. The only memories you will have with that 30-30 are the ones you make!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't sold my Marlin 336 T, (Texan) with a straight grip stock.

There was a time in the Greatland when you could buy a 30-30 cheap. The reason may have been because of people coming up from outside, deciding to trade them for something they considered beeg enough for the beeg bars. Still, I was never able to acquire another straight griped one.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

As it's your first rifle, another vote for leave it. My first rifle was a 10/22, and other than a trigger job I some how managed to leave it as is.

To me sentimental guns mean more than the fanciest custom. Keep it for your kids, as they will cherrish dad's first gun. I have my fathers first gun, a remington #4 rolling block 22 rf, it is by far my favorite gun.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Its obvious that most of us old guys have been there and done that with varying amounts of regret. Learn by our mistakes and leave the thutty thutty as is.

Its also obvious that many of you think as I do in that the gun your packing makes the hunt.

I returned to Missouri to deer hunt 2 years ago after a several year absence but the old gun that went along was the same one that made all of those trips in my earlier years.

The first night in camp there were eight of us sitting around the campfire and of course the rest were young pups compared to me. They were all talking about their WSM's and Ultras all in shiny and black. Million power scopes on all of them. About then Jr. goes into the RV and brings out my shooting stick. A well worn 1894 Marlin in 44 mag. The looks on their faces were evidence of the generation gap. I heard everything from where's the scope to you're not really hunting with that are you.

The rest of the night I was at center stage trying to place in those young lads minds a vivid account for each deer harvested with the little 44. I forgot a few and I made up a few but the boys loved em all.

Take that old gun out and use it. The only memories you will have with that 30-30 are the ones you make!
    Gotta luvit!!!!!

I used to get the same kind of grief using peep sighted levers in the low elevation brush when the New Age youngsters were racing to the mountaintops with the latest synthetic stocked stainless wonder caliber. I get it now using traditional muzzleloaders rather than inlines. And the proof hangs on the meat rack.

As the youngsters have aged they're starting to think about heritage and tradition rather than what they see on TV infomercials for the latest sponsored product advertized as "hunting shows" or read in magazines run by their ad department. I'm not sure they listen to my old hunting stories all that much, but I sure enjoy the sight of their mouths hanging open when they look at the meat rack!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gotta luvit!!!!!

I used to get the same kind of grief using peep sighted levers in the low elevation brush when the New Age youngsters were racing to the mountaintops with the latest synthetic stocked stainless wonder caliber. I get it now using traditional muzzleloaders rather than inlines. And the proof hangs on the meat rack.

As the youngsters have aged they're starting to think about heritage and tradition rather than what they see on TV infomercials for the latest sponsored product advertized as "hunting shows" or read in magazines run by their ad department. I'm not sure they listen to my old hunting stories all that much, but I sure enjoy the sight of their mouths hanging open when they look at the meat rack!
    Ain't that the truth. I've given up trying to convince other guys that the "old reliables" are still just as capable today as they were 100 years ago. A friend of mine used to tease me relentlessly about "that little gun" when I would take my 30-30 to the bait stand. Another one used to enjoy comparing his 7mm and 300 WSM rounds to my '06 ones. Apparently he was of the impression that burning more powder kills more animals. I prefer to compare freezers rather than cartridges.

Well what good is it if you don't use it? If the mods allow you to use it. then do them.