Thread: Kodiak BB

Default Kodiak BB

I finally participated in a successful BB hunt.
    I wasn't the shooter so I will not steal the glory from him but I have a few questions and observations I have been looking forward to sharing.

First and foremost I have to say those suckers are BIG! We managed to get a 10+ ft. monster that scored 28 7/8. Just seeing it dead was frightening. When they say they crash through the alders like a freight train they are not exaggerating. The sound and spead of such a large animal crashing through the alders is REALLY alarming.

Once on the ground just rolling that thing around while skinning was a job. Could barely pick the head up. I was astounded by the bulk of the front end it had. The neck was as big as the shoulders and the head was not much smaller. The more we worked on him the smaller my rifle got. By the time we were done I was convinced I was going to get a 416 for my next deer hunt. To come upon something like that while deer hunting would require a change of undies.
    The weather was pretty bad during most of it, sleet, snow and rain with 30 knot winds. Perfect Kodiak weather. we were both soaked to the bone by the time we got back to the truck. Yes that is right-- to the truck. This was a one day ROAD hunt. The good Lord was smiling down on us that day. It was a lot of work but he has a trophy of a life time.

I have been running around Alaska woods for my entire life and never had a problem with a brownie. Once I really got into trout fishing I decided to set myself up with a bear defense gun. Put a rifled barrel on the 870 and used those copper Federals. Before I would go out into definite bear country I would stop by the Sear's Mall and stand in front of the full mounted brownie they have there. I always thought my sabots would do a number on one. I am not so sure anymore. I am am paying pretty close attention to the bullet construction discussions here now and thinking real hard on incident prevention. Don't get me wrong, I am not scared. I have never once had a problem with brownies, I just think proper tools for job help luck favor the prepared.

I guess I used my one shot at uploading the picture of it but you can check it other one out here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44603

Th is a BIG bear. I can see why you would consider a 416. J.

wow!!!!! some bear (understatement) and nice job with the explaination on the hunt. did you keep any of the meat?

bears spook me, and we are extra careful to keep a clean camp. in the bush you don't have to be killed outright....the "ride" back to the hospital will probably do it.

thanks for your pics!

happy trails.
    jh

Default kodiak bb

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    wow!!!!! some bear (understatement) and nice job with the explaination on the hunt. did you keep any of the meat?

bears spook me, and we are extra careful to keep a clean camp. in the bush you don't have to be killed outright....the "ride" back to the hospital will probably do it.

thanks for your pics!

happy trails.
    jh
    Did not keep any meat. I have always been told that Brown bear meat was generally not edible. That is one reason I have not been too anxious to get one myself.

I really like just watching them in the wild and have done so on a number of occasions. I am new to hunting and have never even assisted in a brownie hunt before. I have bagged a few deer, mountain goat and now helped on a brownie hunt. I am hoping to pursue a black bear next spring and another mountain goat along with a deer or two. I would also like to get a moose and of coarse a sheep if that can be worked out. There are no definite plans for those though.

Since I have started hunting larger game (than grouse and rabbits) I have become more knowledgeable on the specifics of game management and know that the resource will not be adversely effected from hunting. I have learned that hunting is in fact an appropriate management tool that takes a very important place in the proper management of our wildlife resources. I also very much appreciate having the opportunity to harvest some of God's great animals for my families consumption out of the wild. The activity of hunting as well as the food products for we get has no substitute in our society.
    I feel sorry for those poor souls stuck in the concrete jungles and do not have the opportunity to experience this. I believe hunting plays an important part in the nurturing of a respectful and committed perspective on wildlife and our relationship with it based on knowledge and fact. NOT some lawyer inspired emotional fervor propagated by media as so often seen on the national stage these days.

Wow, a real diatribe. My apologies. This is something I have come to feel strongly about.

Very nice bear. I can see why you may wish for that heavier gun! Good luck with your hunting and keep snapping those pics! Good Job!

Thumbs up

Great thread and info. Congrats to you guys.

Those of us who have been on Kodiak though exactly what you are saying regarding the size and intesity of those bears.
    It can be scary stuff down there even if a guy is totally prepared.

Default Island bears

Lived on Kodiak for a few years and had my experiences and with those in mind cannot for the life of me understand the "06 for bear " crowd on this website , I don't think they've ever jumped one of the big guys up close , a couple times my .458 felt pretty small .