Thread: Thrillcrafts? They want us gone!

Default Thrillcrafts? They want us gone!

Two-cycle engines—common in most jet skis, snowmobiles, and other thrillcraft—are notorious polluters. The typical jet ski dumps an average of 3 gallons of gasoline directly in the water for every hour of operation. Indeed, jet skis release 8 times the amount of fuel as an equivalently horsepowered motorboat. Snowmobiles dump approximately 30% of their fuel out the tailpipe into the snow, including highly persistent polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which are then frozen into the snowpack. When the snow melts in the spring, a concentrated surge of pollutants contaminates ground water and surface water that can harm aquatic insects, amphibians and fish, not to mention human water supplies.

quoted from http://www.stopthrillcraft.org/kind.htm

I wonder what era they are using to get their information, geez.

As I just posted under the same thread in the ATV forum... the final stated goal on that website is to get ALL off road vehicles completely banned from ALL public lands.

It is also interesting to note that the entire website is a sales pitch for a $60 book by the same author. There is usually a profit motive behind every environmental activist campaign. This one is no different.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Post unmanaged recreation a threat?

Read the part about: "In 2003, Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth declared that “unmanaged recreation” was one of the top four threats to the integrity of the national forests."

Reading that makes me want to go do some of my own unmanaged recreation right now!

But, as silly as all this is, we need to remember that majority of our nation that decides federal hunting and weapons laws do not themselves hunt. This makes it especially important that in clear cut wacko cases like this, peta, and such that we hang together best we can, and provide a reasonable and truthful argument.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    We have been watching their organization for a while now. You can sign a petition against their organization here:

http://www.gopetition.com/online/24230.html
    AKMuddy posted this in the ATV section. Posting it here in case not everyone visits there...

Default Who's the elitist...?

"...The majority of Americans when they leave their cars to visit the public lands do so on foot or on other non-motorized equipment like canoes, skis and snowshoes....

A pair of hiking boots is all that is required to access our public lands. Compared to the cost of a snowmobile or an ATV which can run into the thousands of dollars, not to mention the big trucks and trailers to haul them, hiking shoes, snowshoes or skis are a relatively inexpensive cost of admission....".

While it is true that there are some who would never deign to use any kind of motorized transportation in the woods, many others would if they could. Much of this is driven by class envy and the desire for class equalization.

Still in all (as a power boat, ATV, and snowmachine owner) I'm willing to once again put myself in the role of devil's advocate and say that we must be conscientious, responsible and positive users while fighting to maintain our privileges. Many years ago, I used to be an XC ski person only, but when I was given a chance to use a sno go by a person who wanted to share their enjoyment, I became an enthusiast too (especially when I found out how much ground I could cover!). Enthusiastic prosyletism can go a long way. For example, consider the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign from the 1960s which took away the bad boy image from motorcycles and made them desirable to the average American. If all non-users see or hear of is folks tearing up hills, smashing into mushers, and making new trails in tundra it won't take much to get them on the enviro's side. Sad, but true

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Read the part about: "In 2003, Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth declared that “unmanaged recreation” was one of the top four threats to the integrity of the national forests."

Reading that makes me want to go do some of my own unmanaged recreation right now!

But, as silly as all this is, we need to remember that majority of our nation that decides federal hunting and weapons laws do not themselves hunt. This makes it especially important that in clear cut wacko cases like this, peta, and such that we hang together best we can, and provide a reasonable and truthful argument.

Talking No Posting

I'm sure that somewhere in the Forum rules here there are cautions against posting signs like that here Luke. tsk, tsk, tsk.

I bet David can take away that Mod-appointment just as fast as he gave it...

(I would have caught this sooner, except I was out doing some 'unmanaged recreation'.)