Thread: Need suggestion for king rod for remote float trips (two piece 8.5'?)

Default Need suggestion for king rod for remote float trips (two piece 8.5'?)

I am looking for some spinning rods for king salmon. I mostly fly fish, but want to chunk some gear as well to increase my chances. Also, the wife does not fly fish, so I need some conventional gear for her. Hoping to get some input from more experienced gear fisherman. Remote float trip of 10-14 days so durability is most important thing. I will buy three (one for me, one for wife, and back up) so cost is an issue as well. Flying with them so two piece (at a minimum) for easy travel. I am curious about what length rods most people use for kings. Do I really need an 8.5' or 9' rod or could I get by with a shorter/stouter rod? Avg fish 15 lbs but some up to 40 lbs very possible. We will be throwing #6 spinners and some Kwikfish. Casting from gravel bars along the rivers edge. River is 35-40 yards wide and the deeper holes will be 9-12' deep with only moderate current. I have looked into Lamiglas, G Loomis, etc.. but not sure which model is most appropriate for my intended usage. Any suggestions?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

ugly stick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

All things considered, it would be tough to beat a Lamiglas Kenai Special, 8.5 ft rated to 25# test (Model G1315). Probably some of the most versatile king rods out there, esp if you plan to cast/hold the rod all day. I would venture to guess that blank has landed more bank-caught kings than any graphite rod in the state. These are NOT cheap rods, but they do come with a lifetime warranty. Loomis makes a comparable rod, but for more $$$.

A more cost effective alternative for a very good king rod to hold all day is the Berkley Air IM8 series. There is a 8.5 ft spinner rated for 25# test (Model A92-8-6H) that would fit the bill just fine.

The Ugly Sticks are an even cheaper alternative, but they are soft spongy-ass rods that lack sensitivity. However they will catch fish, and they won't break.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

also in the situation described above I'd reccomend a 10 wt, unless you are using bait or fishing something really really big fly fishing will put more fish on the bank imo

and yea ugly sticks aren't great for fishing plus but as a backup rod on a float trip there's pretty much nothing better than an unbreakable rod. I see no reason to have a spinning rod longer than 7.5 feet I think the reason baitcasters are longer is so that float fishers can mend line which is where a fly rod is better, also a bigger spread between baits when trolling with the longer rods and probably a couple other advantages.

Got the 10 wt fly rods ready. Sage Xi2 with extra tip, Sage XP for a back up, two Ross Big Canyon reels and two extra spools.

It is the spinning set up that needs improving. We have some awesome Cabelas XML three piece spinning rods paired to Daiwa SS reels that do great on dollies to silvers, but they will not be enough for kings.

I am not a big fan of the ugly sticks. Had them growing up but I prefer a little more backbone these days.

Heard recently that G Loomis and Lamiglas have some three piece rods out. Any insights on them? Sure would be nice for flying with.

If not three piece, anyone with info on the G Loomis or Lamiglass two piece rods that are 8.5' or shorter? Sounds like I am after one of the two. I would be curious if you own one, do they come in rod tubes. Anyone know the length/diameter of the tubes by chance. An off the wall question seemingly. But I am getting a custom dry bag made for my raft oars next week. Just ordered the oars for my raft and Sotar is making a bag for airline use. I want to be sure the bag is big enough to carry my king salmon rods in it, otherwise, I will have to take two overlength/oversize bags. At $50 a pop coming and going, that really adds up. But I need to pick out some rods, get the tubes, and measurements to the Sotar folks. Thanks for any info.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Any opinions on this G Loomis rod. I am looking at the 8'6" model.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0037164120908a

Also, I saw an Lamiglas Kenai Special 8.5' spinning rod on Amazon that was a three piece. Can't find it anywhere else, not even at the Lamiglas site. Anyone know of this rod? It sure would be easy to travel with if applicable.

Dan,

For your application, I'd recommend that you use a heavy or med-heavy action 8.5' Lamiglass rod. Are you proficient with baitcasters? If so, this would be the preferred setup, especially since you'll be using it on the river. You'd be able to ride the line out down the current and fish more area for each cast made. I personally use a Shimano Cardiff reel on my king setup, which has provided me with years of faithful service. Not too sure how well the kwikfish will do for you, but if you fish #6 vibrax in that moderate current, you'll do well. I know everyone seems to have their own preference, but I swear that the kings hit two colors of vibrax more than others. Use pink ones on cloudy/overcast days, and blue ones on bright days. Best of luck!

Default Dan,

Thought you said cost was in issue? If 245.00 bucks PER ROD is not anissue for you, count me in!!!
    Come on guys, stay focused! Seems you want a tough rod that's gonna hold up on the trip; Ugly Stik is the way to go. Have you seen them or tried any of their rods lately? We have used them for over 20 years and yes we have other brands too but I think they make a "lite" version spinning rod but whatever, I think you'll be able to find one that has the action & feel you want for the trip. I'd love to have the other rods mentioned and have used a Berkley Air for light tackle halibut jigging; absolutely loved it and no fatigue all day long. Still I'd go with a Stik for the trip you're talking about because they just won't bust and as far as warranties go, lifetime or not, that means nothing when you're hundreds of miles from civilization. Go somewhere that has a good selection of them and check 'em out.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Thought you said cost was in issue? If 245.00 bucks PER ROD is not anissue for you, count me in!!!
    Jim
    Like I said, I am into flyfishing. Compared to fly rods, $245 seems doable. Another way I look at it, living in NC, I will only use these rods once or twice a year at the most. So they should last a lifetime for me. Why not fish with something nice.

But there is some merit to the Ugly Sticks for sure. A dependable rod I have no doubt. But I am looking for something with a little different action. And for the wife, a lighter rod may be of benefit.

Any Loomis or Lamiglas users out there?

Fishingnw.com Has a G-1315 @ $170. Nice rod. I fish all three, Loomis, Lamiglas, Berkley. If any kids are going to use this rod buy a Berkley. If its for the wife only as you have said cant go wrong with a lami. Make sure its not a blank.

for plugs and spinners I'd get a baitcaster, when I'm not fly fishing you'll find me using one, I think its a lot more fun to fight the fish with the BC (yea I don't fly fish sometimes, like at ship creek or when trolling in the ocean, heck I've been know to use herring for kings even).

Don't think I'd ever spend more than $100 for a non fly rod I'm sure a lighter rod is nice but difference in casting is not anywhere near as noticeable.

Also since you live in NC got any bass gear? Thats basically what I use with 14 pound test

Lamiglas has a three piece rod that looks nice. Anyone familiar with this one...

MSRP on this rod is $330.00 and it does come with a tube. It is listed on the website, go to www.lamiglas.com then go to Rods/Saltwater/Travel Series-

Here is the direct link, if it will work.

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=57

Would this be suitable for bank fishing for kings. Throwing #6 spinners and what not.

XTS 865
    8' 6"
    1/2-1 3/4
    12-25
    Mod/Fast

The specs look good for your needs, but I have no personal experience with that stick. It doesn't say anything about total weight of the rod. The other critical factor is how well it balances with the reel you intend to use. If you (your wife) are gonna hold that thing all day long, balance is probably more important ergonomically that total weight.

Usually you can ignore the MSRP on the Lamiglas site as their most popular rods typically retail for MUCH less on the shelf. But the one you are looking at is probably not a popular high-volume item that is stocked at the average tackle store, so you may get stuck with the inflated price tag.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for the info.

I contacted Lamiglas and they quoted me $330 if I bought it directly from them which was not surprsing. The good part of it was that they would sell me an extra tip section for $30. Being that I want extra tip sections, this is not too bad. Even if I were able to find the rods cheaper somewhere else, I would then have to ship the rods to/from Lamiglas and pay for the extra tip sections. The extra sections will cost more than $30 going this route to, off setting any possible savings I may have got on the price of the rods. The guy at Lamiglas pretty much said he would sell me the tip sections cheap since he had to charge me full retail on the rods. All in all, sounds pretty fair. But they are pricey. It sure would be easy to just order three 8.5' two piece Ugly Sticks and a few 54" long 2.5" diameter tubes for about $225