Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: April Snow Conditions around Talkeetna/Denali Hwy

  1. #1
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default April Snow Conditions around Talkeetna/Denali Hwy

    Curious what others have experienced as far as riding conditions around talkeetna in late april, or up the denali hwy i know the two will vary but more imput the better.
    what about crossing the talkeetna or big sue in late april, ice usually in or out?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  2. #2
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    All depends on the spring we are having.

    The big thing is after the Arctic Man is over they start opening Denali Hwy up, matter of fact usually the Monday after it ends. Last year I think they made MaClaren Lodge in less then 2 days.

    The Su can vary greatly, but most times you are ~good~ to about mid April. The snow does go away real fast when it does go.

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    The last few years we have had to pack it in by the second weekend of April. We will usually be able to spring bear hunt north of here, Hurrican area, but that's about it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4

    Thumbs up Try to avoid crossings.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Curious what others have experienced as far as riding conditions around talkeetna in late april, or up the denali hwy i know the two will vary but more imput the better.
    what about crossing the talkeetna or big sue in late april, ice usually in or out?
    The Talkeetna is really spooky in spring, for me. I avoid it.
    If you want to get into some really good spring riding and bear hunting, I would unload the machines north of the rivers. The best spot I have found, is at the railroad crossing on the Parks Hwy, at Chulitna. There are a couple of good pull offs there to park. Then head east to the powerline and go up Indian Creek. Several excellent trails there that will lead you to the east and into the high country. A lot of the bears that eventually end up in the Big Su and Talkeetna drainages, den in this area. Staying above the major rivers is better than trying to go up or cross them in spring. It usually takes a couple of days to figure out the deal, so if you go up a little early, say in March when the days are longer and the snow has set up, you can get the lay of the land real quick. I like to take a camp with me, so I can spend the night back there. There are a couple of good campsites and a few siwash cabins as well. Grizzlies come out first and then the black bears. It is one of the few places that I have seen, where they den up in the same place.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •