Thread: Ok tired of the prices of factory ammo

Default Ok tired of the prices of factory ammo

so I bought all the gear to reload. Any recomendations on a book on reloading for a noob?

My favorite book is the Barnes reloading manual. You cant go wrong with speer either. Best advice I can give is buy the manual for the buller that you want to reload. Good luck, its addictive!

Default How to reload book

All the reloading manuals have some good information on reloading, but there are several actual "How to Reload" books. I'd check the local gun stores or google to find one. I'd read the book thoroughly before doing any reloading to get familiarized first. It would also be excellent if you knew or found someone who is a competent and sane reloader to learn from. You would get hands on practice and make a shooting friend too.

The library has a few.

Thanks I'll check the shelves. Not alot of choices post obama . Went to sportsmans and the shelves were bare. mainly going to load 460smith, 45/70, 375 H&H 300 WBY. Lots more but these are the ones that are killing me.

Default For me, the last straw was.....

When I needed a box of 45-70 and found it was over $30 a box, started reloading then(last fall) and have never looked back, I'm not into it to squeeze every last bit of velocity out of rounds, just good hunting loads that don't cost me a fortune, Keeping it simple, I use only 2 powders, Unique and LilGun and find they do everything I require! I load 38spl, 357mag, 41mag, 44spl, 44mag, 45-70, 30-30, 35rem.
    Happy reloading and welcome your newest addiction

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    When I needed a box of 45-70 and found it was over $30 a box, started reloading then(last fall) and have never looked back, I'm not into it to squeeze every last bit of velocity out of rounds, just good hunting loads that don't cost me a fortune, Keeping it simple, I use only 2 powders, Unique and LilGun and find they do everything I require! I load 38spl, 357mag, 41mag, 44spl, 44mag, 45-70, 30-30, 35rem.
    Happy reloading and welcome your newest addiction

You use Unique and Lil'Gun for 30-30, 35 Rem and 45-70?! You care little about your guns.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

One of the best books out there is ABC's of reloading by Dean Grennel. Great book and its a must read for a guy new to reloading. Tons of great info and its written so its easy to understand!

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    so I bought all the gear to reload. Any recomendations on a book on reloading for a noob?
    log onto eBay and check out available books....my recommendation is the lyman manual. look at number 47 or 48.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Books and mentors

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Ditto on kgpcr recommendation of the "ABCs of Reloading" Short on reloading data, but gives a good description of the process. Almost all reloading manuals have their early chapters focused on the reloading process, but some editors/authors treat certain parts with more detail than others, so buy or check out from your library several different ones so you get to hear different "voices" and writing styles so that you can find ones that "speak" to you.

I became fond of Lyman's book and recently acquired a copy of Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" It is pretty well writtten for the novice, but has passages in it that you will be re-reading for the next decade and still getting new insights from.

When reading about load data and velocity, pay attention to what the ammunition was test-fired from. (regular firearm vs a sealed-breech pressure test barrel, for example)

I have a pre-written set of "10 Advices for Reloading". #5 is Find a mentor. There is no substitute for someone watching you load a few cartridges and critiquing your technigue BEFORE you develop bad habits or make a dangerous mistake. (A mistake that might not have consequences right away, but maybe only after you have escaped trouble a hundred times until one day you get bit, for instance having case lube on your fingers when you handle primers 99 times, no problem because primers are coated with a sealant, but the hundredth primer may not be perfectly sealed and now winds up "dead")

I started loading with the guy who sold me my press watching over my shoulder as I loaded my first 6 rounds to make sure I did not blow myself up, load a powderless cartridge or set off a primer in the press. There is nothing like a tutor, or better yet, a mentor. A longer mentoring period might have changed my reloading style, but I learned a lot in those first 6 rounds, as he explained each step. Then I educated myself after that.

After you have been mentored, mentor someone else. Not necessarily in loading or the shooting sports, but in SOMETHING in which you are enthusiastic and qualified. In this way, you can give back to the community.

Good luck, good shooting and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep

p.s.
    Advice #8 Read previous threads on reloading, here are a couple.
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...fbd5ae1f754eec
    The second one is a thread started by a new recruit to reloading whcih the moderators thought highly enough of to make it "sticky" so it stays on the top of the list of threads.

Thanks all, with this cold I have lots of free time. I've always shot premium bullets but when a box of 375 approaches $100, I'm making my own. I have a few friends who reload and will keep me from blowing something up. I'm kind of fond of my fingers and eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You use Unique and Lil'Gun for 30-30, 35 Rem and 45-70?! You care little about your guns.
    Actually the Lil Gun is used in the pistol rounds only, what is wrong with using Unique in 30-30, 35 Rem. and 45-70? The loads are in the loading manual I have.

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Actually the Lil Gun is used in the pistol rounds only, what is wrong with using Unique in 30-30, 35 Rem. and 45-70? The loads are in the loading manual I have.
    Unique should be great in those calibers for low velocity cast bullet loads.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Unique should be great in those calibers for low velocity cast bullet loads.

Mike
    Hi Mike:
    Yes, low velocity rifle loads are all I need and use.
    Unique, to me is a great way to keep costs very low and let me shoot as much as I like, I have no need for high velocity loads as my hunting is done in very thick woods and 100 yard shots are all but a dream.
    I use only cast lead bullets also.
    I always figured it this way, if a 44-40 killed big game 100 years ago it will still do it today, and hey, its true!
    In handguns, a hardcast lead bullet, of at least 40 caliber, moving 1000fps and weighing 200grains will do the trick on any deer/black bear.
    It seems the shooting press has convinced most of the readers that a super-magnum, 500 yard cartridge is the minimum anyone should consider in the field. I just never bought into it and never will, I also stopped buying gun rags 20 years ago.