Thread: .45 Colt Anaconda

Default .45 Colt Anaconda

I just traded an old vehical for a Colt .45 Anaconda with a six inch barrel. Its seen some wear but has not been shot much. It came with a box of cowboy loads and a box of HSM LC 300 gr. bear loads. Big difference in tickle. I have read it can rival a .44 mag with the right loads and still be safe.
    Thought I might carry it up river on fishing trips instead of my old 12 ga.
    Can anybody with experience give me some tips on the best hot and SAFE load I can buy of the shelf. I like it and it feels real good

Anaconda's are in demand as they are not made any more. I gave my .44 Anaconda to a good buddy who lives in AK. They are a very tough and well built gun. You did very well! As for loads i would have no problem at all shooting Buffalo Bore Colt 45+P ammo in it. http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunitio...ult.htm#45colt

I shot their .44mag+P in my Anaconda and it never missed a beat. It chewed them up and asked for more. You have a great gun and i would hang on to that one!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Anaconda's are in demand as they are not made any more. I gave my .44 Anaconda to a good buddy who lives in AK. They are a very tough and well built gun. You did very well! As for loads i would have no problem at all shooting Buffalo Bore Colt 45+P ammo in it. http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunitio...ult.htm#45colt

I shot their .44mag+P in my Anaconda and it never missed a beat. It chewed them up and asked for more. You have a great gun and i would hang on to that one!

i have seen them for sale at $600.-$800. at gunshows because they are a great gun.....overbuilt for the caliber.

i believe colt used sintered action parts, and new model trooper design for a bull tough .44. your gun will eat any factory load (assuming in good condition) on the market. it is a pleasure to handload for, and my recommendation is to work up a load with hard cast lead.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Thanks Guys

I looked at the buffalo site. wow . Looks like for the price of a few boxes a guy could get set up to reload for life. Guess I will buy a couple boxes and get used to the gun and save the brass. I read up all I could on the gun and think I did alright at $8oo in trade
    I read back a few pages and found quite a bit of discussion on the gun and loads. shoulda did that first but came up empty when I did a site search. So thanks again for sharing your good thoughts

You did GREAT!! that gun will last longer than you will. Great gun in a great caliber. The .45+P loads out there will suprise you for what they can do. Its also an easy caliber to reload. Not very finicky at all. Many powders will work and work well.

Cor-bon also makes a 335gr+p load that works well in my old birds-head vaquero, couldn't hurt the Anaconda.

Default another question

I just came in from spending some quality time with my Anaconda. It came with 1 box each of Magtech cowboys with CBC brass and HSM bear loads.
    I fired or tried to fire 12 rnds of each. The HSM all fired and felt like leathal doses. Of the 12 Magtechs only 8 fired.
    On inspection all the rnds of both brands that fired had deep primer dents and no obvious difference from the duds excepts the duds had only about 20% of the dent size as the good rounds. To my untrained eye the firing pin and action look fine. I tried some of the duds a second time with same result and no increase in the dent. Wadda ya think bad primers or should I take the gun in for an expert evaluation.
    By the way I ordered from both Buf-Bore and Corban. Buf order has not yet showed up after 2 weeks and Corbon says they are out

Could be hard primers combined with a weak spring? I've had pretty good luck with Magtech ammo reliability, at least in .44mag, .45acp and 9mm, I haven't shot any .45colt though.

Try any other ammo? Were you firing single-action or double-action?

Jay

If you are going to have to count on this going off when you need it , I would replace the hammer spring quick since perhaps they cut the original for cowboy plinking also you may be flirting with the possible hang fire if those ever occur. I did put a spring kit in my 4'' .45 Colt when I polished the action on mine and it fires everything great. I use loads from Hodgdon manual with Lyman 325 gr. cast gc and it works great. A cylinder full of those sure increases the balast on that piece and I especially like the grip size for the double action pull its the best for me. I put a high polish on the trigger and reduced the hammer size so it is very friendly to the guy behind it, it would probably be different if one were in front of it..Good shootin

Default Anaconda

I had two Anacondas. One 4 inch 44 Mag and one 6 inch 45 Colt. Both guns were extremely accurate (Colt makes great barrels) but suffered from end shake problems after as little as 500 rds. End shake causes excessive headspace problems and can lead to misfires. I had to shim both of the guns finally got rid of both due to the problem.