Thread: Win Mod 70 Barrels

Default Win Mod 70 Barrels

Will pre-64 take off bbls fit on a post 64 model 70 (or vice versa)?

Thanks in advance -

Nate

The threads are the same but the extractor may or may not fit. If the post 64 is a classic, the extractor cut will work. Sight may or may not line up and make sure to check the headspace. This is not amature work; good luck. J.

Default Thanks

Thanks -

I've got a 7mag that I may rebarrel to something larger (post 64) and I'm keeping my eyes on the forums for take off bbls.

Good catch on the extractor... I hadn't thought of that.

If I find one I'll have Stan's shop or Steve's shop do the install.

Nate

Default Yes, they'll fit...

but in the long run, instead of looking for a take-off pre-64 barrel, there were a LOT more late 'Classic' .375 H&H rifles that were pulled down to make bigger boomers out of because of the action length. Last ones I saw went around $75-$125 for barrels without a round put through them.
    If you start with a 7 mag, you'll likely have to either replace the magazine box with one with proper length, or find a way to knock the spacer out of the back to get the full length box. Additionally, you'll probably have to cut the ejector back or replace it with one that'll let you fill the magazine without interference.
    The barrel you find may or may not index up correctly to use sights if they're installed, and you'll want the extractor cut to index correctly, as well. As mentioned, this isn't kitchen table gunsmithing, you'll need to find someone who can re-face the back of the barrel and make the chamber right as well.
    In the long run, the easiest conversion of all is to find a barrel blank of the correct bore that fits your desires, and have it cut to whatever length and contour you want, and one that'll let you use as few action/magazine mods as possible.
    You didn't mention what cartridge you have in mind, sorry, I assumed that you'd go to .375. Easiest of all is a .338 Winchester Mag barrel on a 7mm Remington Mag action. Magazine works, ejector works, just like it was made for it.
    Having said all that, I'm in the process of trying to make a pre-64 .30-06 M70 barrel that is in pristine condition work on a spanking new Montana 1999 action I've got........
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 01-04-2009 at 18:15. Reason: .