Thread: Looking for Guided Caribou Hunt

Default Looking for Guided Caribou Hunt

G'day all, I am looking at booking a guided caribou hunt for 2010. Have looked thru dozens of outfitters web pages but still undecided who to contact. I am an experienced hunter and very mobile, also enjoy horseback hunts. Basically after a guide that will put in that extra effort to put me in front of a big bull. Don't want to come across as shallow but if you a flying half way around the world its hard to settle for less.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CK

Quote Originally Posted by Catchment kid View Post
    G'day all, I am looking at booking a guided caribou hunt for 2010. Have looked thru dozens of outfitters web pages but still undecided who to contact. I am an experienced hunter and very mobile, also enjoy horseback hunts. Basically after a guide that will put in that extra effort to put me in front of a big bull. Don't want to come across as shallow but if you a flying half way around the world its hard to settle for less.

CK

I don't understand why there would be any problem. The secret to harvesting a large bull, is don't shoot a small bull. The other trick is book a long hunt. Where the problem comes in is clients don't have 45 days to do a good old fashion hunt. And they don't want to pay $26,000.- to $54,000.- for a 45 day hunting experience. They want it quick (5 to 7 days), cheap ($2,200.-) with no days or a solid week of 65 Mph to 85 MPH wind with monsoon rains, Fog, being stuck in a tent, and paying $1,200.-- per day for the experience. Please describe a Big Bull, height, points, score, spread, length of beam, ETC.

Thumbs up Dyi wach-kotz

CK

DYI caribou is the only way to go. Caribou are easy to hunt, what you need is some one that can assist you in putting together a good hunting package. (gear, flight service and area selection)

Head to www.northwestalaska.com and lets get you pointed in the right direction. PS WACH is your best choice for lots of caribou and plenty of bulls to choose from.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Walt, you, as usual, offer great advice, but he has to have a guide since he's an "alien".
    To answer part of your question, go to the services tab for this website and take a look at the guide services. Walt is correct that up north in the Western Arctic Herd you would have a good chance of fulfillling your desire for a big bull, there are just more animals up there. Take a look at a guide services, contact them as well as asking for feed back on this site or over at pristineventures.com.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    DYI caribou is the only way to go. Caribou are easy to hunt, what you need is some one that can assist you in putting together a good hunting package. (gear, flight service and area selection)

Head to www.northwestalaska.com and lets get you pointed in the right direction. PS WACH is your best choice for lots of caribou and plenty of bulls to choose from.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Won't work, if he is an Australian Citizen. These guys have to bite the bullet and hire a guide. Plenty of guides around to take the money, but area has as much to do with it as the guide. For a really big bull caribou, I would suggest the Mulchatna Herd. There are still a few really good bulls out there. A guide worth his salt, can get a hunter on one. Contact Westwind Guide Services.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Caribou Guide...

Richard Guthrie, long time master guide-outfitter here in Alaska, has a great area on the north side of the Brooks Range for caribou. 907 242-7766, n8484q@hotmail.com, www.alaskanbrownbearhunting.com, are all current contact numbers. In his exclusive area a non-res alien can still harvest two caribou.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Thanks for the advice guys I will have a look thru these contacts. Picking the right guide with the right area for me will be just as important as pointing the rifle in the right direction. You cant hunt what ain't there in the first place. Older friends of mine have taken great caribou in Alaska. Heads approaching 60 inches long with 40 plus points. But that was 20 to 30 years ago and the people they hunted with are not in the game anymore.
    From what I have been reading big bull caribou seem to be in short supply, why is this?

Thanks for the advice guys I will have a look thru these contacts. Picking the right guide with the right area for me will be just as important as pointing the rifle in the right direction. You cant hunt what ain't there in the first place. Older friends of mine have taken great caribou in Alaska. Heads approaching 60 inches long with 40 plus points. But that was 20 to 30 years ago and the people they hunted with are not in the game anymore.
    From what I have been reading big bull caribou seem to be in short supply, why is this?
    Because you've been reading incorrect information? Some of the more accessible areas may have declining bull populations, but I'm pretty sure there are are still big bulls out there, if you can get to them.

Default I'd stay away from The Mulchatna herd

First this herd is hurting bad and has been talked about lots here,as much as i would love to get some coin and hunt them one needs to know when to say no,and just about all the guides i know includeing myself will not book a mulchatna bou hunt.before booking take a look at the up and coming proposels for the areas the herd roams,55-57,asking to close for non-residents if the herd is below a certain #,last i herd the #'s were around 40,000.

I received a PM from a site member suggesting hunting in the North West Territories for caribou. Not sure where that is but is that worth looking into as well?

The Northwest Territories are in Canada, not Alaska. Some good caribou there, I think on the average they're not as big as the big Alaska bulls though.

Default Caribou Hunt

Since you are just researching at this point and looking at various options you might take a look at the following link. Haven't hunted with this outfit but did meet the owner while I was stationed in MT.

http://www.courageouslake.com/Display.asp?Page=FAQs

After looking thru all the options on caribou hunting I decided to book a hunt today in the Northwest Territories. Thanks for the advice guys.

Default Hunt

Just curious, which outfit did you settle on? Best of luck with the hunt.

Try these guys I watched a segment on north to alaska when Larry Csonka hunted with them and seen some big bulls wandering the area. Not sure what your price range is but they charge $4500 for a fully guided trip http://www.airboatfishing.com/alaska_hunting.htm