Thread: My latest THREE SEVEN FIVE.....

Default My latest THREE SEVEN FIVE.....

Last spring I bought a used Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" in .375 H&H. It had "The Answer" muzzle break on it and a 3x9 Leupold Vari X II silver scope. I put the scope on a "Stainless Classic" Mod. 70 30-06 and gave it to my daughter since she killed stuff with that gun. Off to the gun smith it went. The muzzle break was cut off and the barrel was crowned at 22 inches. The bottom of the follower was milled so it holds 4 in the magazine. A proper big bear rifle should hold 5 rounds. The receiver was tapped for the 8x40 base screws. Some good quality New England Custom Guns iron sights went on it. Eventually I will put a one piece trigger guard and floor plate on it. It also has Warne detachable rings and a Lepold 1.5x5 VX III with a German #4 reticle. Most of the time this rifle will not wear a scope. I am undecided on the stock I want. It will either be a McMillian Safari or Serengetti Rifles laminated stock. I am leaning towards wood. I will spend some time lapping the action and recoil lugs. I think the barrel is to heavy. I gave my "old Mod. 70 .375 to my son-in-law. This is my 4th .375 H&H and will probably be my last. Though I have never shot any thing with one, I hate not having one. It must be all the big bear and African hunting stories I read when I was growing up. That and all the beautiful custom Mod. 70 and Mauser rifles that were on the cover of magazines. The ones I remember most were chambered in .375 H&H. If I draw a Koyukuk tag this year I will take it with me.

Pictures!!!!
    Tennessee

Default Neat

Sounds like you've put some time and money into that iron. I'd also enjoy some photos.

Tease!!! Seriously though, If I was restocking a big Boomer M70 it would be with a Darcy Echol's Legend that is made by CmMillan.

Smile Pictures, sorry, I am low tech.

When my som-in-law gets back in town I will try to post some pics. I will try to learn how. It is time for me to move into the 21st century!

I'd also enjoy seeing the pictures. Hopefully you'll get get drawn for the Koyukuk and get a chance to use your latest .375H&H in the field. I drew that hunt a few years back...it is an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Last spring I bought a used Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" in .375 H&H. It had "The Answer" muzzle break on it and a 3x9 Leupold Vari X II silver scope. I put the scope on a "Stainless Classic" Mod. 70 30-06 and gave it to my daughter since she killed stuff with that gun. Off to the gun smith it went. The muzzle break was cut off and the barrel was crowned at 22 inches. The bottom of the follower was milled so it holds 4 in the magazine. A proper big bear rifle should hold 5 rounds. The receiver was tapped for the 8x40 base screws. Some good quality New England Custom Guns iron sights went on it. Eventually I will put a one piece trigger guard and floor plate on it. It also has Warne detachable rings and a Lepold 1.5x5 VX III with a German #4 reticle. Most of the time this rifle will not wear a scope. I am undecided on the stock I want. It will either be a McMillian Safari or Serengetti Rifles laminated stock. I am leaning towards wood. I will spend some time lapping the action and recoil lugs. I think the barrel is to heavy. I gave my "old Mod. 70 .375 to my son-in-law. This is my 4th .375 H&H and will probably be my last. Though I have never shot any thing with one, I hate not having one. It must be all the big bear and African hunting stories I read when I was growing up. That and all the beautiful custom Mod. 70 and Mauser rifles that were on the cover of magazines. The ones I remember most were chambered in .375 H&H. If I draw a Koyukuk tag this year I will take it with me.
    you sound knowledgeable and experienced in your choice of improvements on your rifle. your sights, scope and mount screws are right on the money. is a standard wood stock prone to split (or chip behind the reciever)?

i shoot a huskqvarna .358 norma magnum that comes pretty close to your .375, but it never caught on with american shooters. my stock had to be replaced due to splitting.

the .375 is a classic that shoots (trajectory wise) nearly like a 30-06, and long range shots are as easy as a .338. it sure would be a comfort on a bb hunt.

happy trails.
    jh

I have to laud you on your choice of barrel length. I feel 21 - 22" is quite possibly the ideal length for a 375 H&H, depending on barrel contour and how the finished rifle balances. Likewise kudos for the 8x40 screws - with the scope you are using you prob won't need them but a good idea nevertheless. I have never heard of milling off the bottom of the follower but certainly sounds reasonable and if it works so much the better. I have a couple of 375 Wby that can almost get another round in and such a modification could be all that is needed to comfortably add the additional round. Hopefully you got a good Winchester barrel - the newer ones are sometimes sort of iffy regarding accuracy. Good luck with your new rifle.

Default I hope......

I hope it is a good barrel. The one I have on my customized "Classic Stainless" Mod. 70 .338 is a good barrel, as is the 30-06 I gave my daughter. I have heard many complaints about Winchester quality control over the years. Fortunately all mine have worked fine. I will find out in late March. It has a crisp 3 lb. trigger. I will see if likes 270 grain Barnes X Tripple Shocks. I guese RL 15 is a good powder to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I hope it is a good barrel. The one I have on my customized "Classic Stainless" Mod. 70 .338 is a good barrel, as is the 30-06 I gave my daughter. I have heard many complaints about Winchester quality control over the years. Fortunately all mine have worked fine. I will find out in late March. It has a crisp 3 lb. trigger. I will see if likes 270 grain Barnes X Tripple Shocks. I guese RL 15 is a good powder to start with.
    for the record I LIKE WINCHESTER M70"s, and have had a number of them. all have been good shooters. sometimes the one minute "holy grail" is unatainable, but even 1.5" will kill big game farther than most normal people shoot.

if this is a new barrel, i recommend breaking it in properly to insure continued accuracy. if it has been shot....clean it well before starting.

the model 70 trigger is (in my mind) one of the best triggers available,, and easy to adjust. two nuts are moved to allow for adjustment. a rifleman with some time and care can easily set it to a perfect release.

** tip; i like to lap the lugs and rails for a smooth feed. just use some jb paste on the lugs and work the bolt (from open through full close) for about 25 minutes. it will do wonders! clean up is easy, just use a couple of patches. strip your bolt, degrease it with solvent..dry, then lube with "arctic oil".

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images