Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x6 in the shop again

Angry 6x6 in the shop again

In the shop again! My 6x6 has been a nightmare! It has not run very well since a month into owning it. About 50% of the time when I let of the throttle when riding down the trail the machine will stall out and I have to restart it. You name it and it has been replaced. Polaris has tried everything to fix it but after 18 months it still runs like crap. I have asked for a new machine but am basically laughed at. I will never own another Polaris unless it is given to me! I have heard a lot of good about polaris machines but my only experience has been very bad so beware before purchasing one.
    Dave

Are you sure it was not a ship up from Katrina ? Heard from a source that some of the bikes that where under water got dried out and shiped out accross the USA, Just like some of the cars

Dave we have two of those new Polaris 6x's at work and they are complete junk! Dont mean to insult you but they always have something wrong with them, and they dont see much use at all. Even the dealer told us they were junk, now thats pretty sad. So far I am not too impressed with polaris 4wheelers(or 6 wheelers for that matter) from anyone I know well that owns one. You had better be nice to the dealership you take it, cuz your gonna know them real well over time. I hear guys bragging them up to no end but I havent seen one yet that hasn't been worked on within a year of owning them, and after a couple years they get wrenched a bunch. To each his own though.

Different dealer different story but I feel better about this one. The grip and throttle heaters (installed by a dealer) where iproperly grounded to the power box. Also the power box was tested and found to be malfunctioning. After 17 months all I can do is hope this finally fixes the problem.
    Dave

Default Good to hear.

It's amazing how simple some problems can end up being. Hopefully this will be the end of headaches for you and you can enjoy the bike!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If it's the same problem over and over isn't there a lemon law like there is with cars?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Nope! Not for ATVs in the state of Alaska. If there was I would have had a new machine by now.

Actually I have read an Alaskan Lemon Law regarding ATV's, but I do not remember what it consisted of. I will try and find it again. It was a website which stated Lemon Laws for all 50 states.

I rode with a guy one day who continually had EFI problems with his PO 700. After months and many trips to the dealer they (I believe it was ER Po & Cat)finally gave him a new one. Problem solved.

I suppose you would need to jump up and down while yelling and screaming to hold the attention of some of these dealers. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Something along the lines of this emoticon right here

Still broke. I don't have any hope for this machine. Instead of our hunting with my Polaris, I am here wishing that I had some other brand. I am going to try to trade it in or sell it. Any takers?

Default How much?

I'll take it. Then I'll tell you what I fixed after I spend a couple minutes on it. Kidding.

You say they replaced everything. How about the throttle cable and housing on the handlebar? Don't these things have an anti-stick shutdown switch in the throttle, like the snowmobiles have for frozen throttles? Is this the only time it shuts off, when you're off the throttle?

By the way, I love these units. Keep em greased and change the chains and brake pads every 1200 miles or so. I'm waiting for all-shaft drive like the Ranger has. Never had a problem with a belt, and I've been through/hauled/pulled it all. Nothing else holds up as well to the salt water from what I've seen. Used mine to launch my old 18' Klamath off Whiskey Gulch for years. Nice to be able to toss a whole moose or 3 caribou in the box and keep em dry and clean. Climb hills without worrying about going over backwards.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Here is my diagnostic.

If your machine is stalling when you left off the throttle it sounds like your problem may have something to do with the carb. Also GOT TOYS makes a great point with the throttle cables, they could be sticking and require lubing or replacement. Do not forget to check the choke cable, if your machine is currently running rich that may be the problem. On my carbs there is a diaphram the carb needle slides in. Sometimes this can rip or become dislodged. Maybe the carbs need a good cleaning, especially if your air filter is not lubed properly.

Its not often you hear of CDI problems with any machine, except those darned KQ 700's.

When the machine dies is there any indication if the machine is running rich or lean? That may help too. Is there any popping or backfiring when you let off the gas? If there gas in your oil?

Maybe a possible blockage of the air intake?

Heres a long shot, maybe the valves need adjusting.

If all else fails, atvfrontier.com has a great polaris section. Post your problem in extensive detail and they will do their best.

I wonder if it has a throttle safety switch like the snowmachines, the switch is designed to stall the engine if the throttle should stick, if it would be out of adjustment it would be stalling as you describe. .02c

As far as I know ATV's do not have such a safety item, probably because I would suspect a majority of atv's do not see cold riding temperatures due to parking them for winter or ownership in southern states. And snowmachines are primarly used in the winter where they almost always see freezing temperatures.

I would see no need for this type of safety feature. We already have a kill switch. Right John? J/K

Quote Originally Posted by DanAK View Post
    I wonder if it has a throttle safety switch like the snowmachines, the switch is designed to stall the engine if the throttle should stick, if it would be out of adjustment it would be stalling as you describe. .02c
    My 02 had this problem after a friends kid played with the throttle cable on the right side. There is an adjustment mechanism there. Also causes backfiring as it kills the spark (like you have a stuck throttle) and then when you release the throttle it lights it off! If the machine has been rolled, this is even more likely the cause.Set the switch to the book spec, verify that the wiring is not damaged, and then check cable routing. Sometimes, turning left or right causes the same problems as the cable is stretched.

You may also want to remove any aftermarket items on the machine and see if it still has the problem. Hot grips, winch, aftermarket lights etc.....

Are all the connectors free of corrosion/water? Grounds?

Default Throttle safety

My '04 6x6 has it. It wasn't adjusted quite properly from the dealer or maybe it was cable stretch after the first week. Anyway, mine started dying when I let off the throttle too. A quick over the phone diagnostic from the shop mechanic had me back in business. I would find it hard to believe that the dealer wouldn't have checked it already though. It would be step #1 IMO.

Might be worth checking though. With the engine off, check the thumb throttle for any freeplay before you can feel the tension from the cable being pulled. If so, adjust the cable.

On the throttle cable a few inches down from the throttle you will find a rubber boot which encloses the cable adjuster (like a turnbuckle). Simply adjust the cable until there is no (or VERY little) play in the thumb throttle off the stop. That is all it took to fix mine.

Good luck!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Been there done that! Checked the safety switch and the carb has been replaced. It has been in the shop over seven times and mechanics can't seem to find the problem. They will find something and say "we got it now" just to find out the problem still exist.
    I beleive the machine is cursed and will never operate correctly. I hope to be rid of it sooner than later. Anyone have any thoughts on the can-am 800 two up machine?

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    It has been in the shop over seven times and mechanics can't seem to find the problem. They will find something and say "we got it now" just to find out the problem still exist.
    Sounds like you need to find a new shop

I stand corrected with the safety throttle.

I am sure there are a limited number of Polaris dealers in Valdez.

Take it to Diversified Services in Anchorage, and let the master fix it. Dave's the best Polaris mechanic around. Heck, give him a call and he might save you a trip by diagnosing the problem over the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast