Thread: I Can't Take It Anymore!!

Default I Can't Take It Anymore!!

Ok -55 is a bit over rated don't ya think? Well I've got yote fever so much that I can't take it anymore and I'm heading outside to call some yotes and hopefully connect. Going to head out and see my grandparents in Iowa and go do some yote hunting with my cousin, where the temps are in the +20's or so, heat wave compared to here this last week. So I hope when I return I'll have some pics to post up on here not that I'm counting my chickens before they hatch. I was hoping for a bobcat but the season has already closed which kinda bummed me a little. Who else has called outside the state here? Where would you say is one of the better states to call?

i have called and shot dozens of cyotes in iowa, however the good calling is out west KS NB SD are much better bets KS good for bobcats you will NEVER call one in IA the quota is filled by trappers here (mostly)
    get away from the roads use the wind and good camo good luck

yeah I read in a preadator mag that the bobcats were on the rebound and thought maybe sweet I might get lucky, but after I checked into the regs and all I saw that the quota was filled already. Well my cousin lives up in the northwest corner of the state near SD, NE so maybe I'll check into and see what it might take to sneak over there and maybe shoot one.

Good luck to you down there Mike. Hope you do well, and enjoy the warm weather!

I had a bunch of friends that are psuedo farmers down in north texas (they wore big hats tight pants and all owned horses but under 50 acres). They pretty much rotate between each others farms drinking beer and blasting coyotes every weekend. Seems like a rough life interesting thing is they have been successfully blasting yotes every weekend for YEARS and never seem to run out!

Texas and Tennessee. My mothers property in Texas they come up to the porch. My in-laws in Tn., the same story. So I don't know if I am calling them or just killing time 'til they show back up. On the farm in Tn. They sit around the edges of the fields waiting to see if you run over baby critters. Shoot them off the tractor. Calling at night was a breeze. No changing stands just keep sitting behind a round bale, calling and shoot the next one that comes in. Called in allot while cranking on doe and fawn bleets during deer season.

I called all over Arizona with great luck as long as it's not to close to Phoenix. There are about 10,000 callers in Phoenix and the yotes any place near and not hard to get to, they will sit about 1000 yards off and look for you.

I also called for javelina when I had a tag, that’s a blast! They will come in often when you are calling yotes, sometimes so close you could touch them before they get wind of you. If you don’t move and have any camo at all they will never see you. Good luck down south!

Andy

Default Idaho

I originally got hooked on predator hunting down in Idaho, we went down in 02 and I have not been the same since.

Default New Mexico

I grew up in New Mexico and it was no problem to call in 10-15 dogs a day. It spoiled me a bit. We used to have weekend long predator contests with about 20 people and normally 15-20 coyotes would win. Oh I miss those days. I wonder if there would be interest in getting a contest together here in the interior? The quantities wouldn't be the same but it would give people that extra push to get out side maybe. What do you guys think?
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Contest

I'm not sure how many guys would go out for a contest up here at the present moment with the temperatures. It'd be fun to do or just to meet some guys who are into predator hunting though. How long of a hunt do you think we'd need (weekend)? If it happened, it'd be great to do it during a good moon phase later in the springtime I'd think. Maybe one of these days, we could get a group of guys together somewhere to just chat gear and strategies up here. I by no means have this game down to a science and would like to know what type of consistent things are working for others. I have a bunch or e-callers, sounds, and gear I'd be willing to bring and show/discuss with guys. If anybody has a good place/time to get together we should just meet and go from there on hunting ideas.

Default Id, ut, nv, wy, or

I've called in and killed lots in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon and Nevada. My favorite place was a huge ranch I worked on in Nevada. I would drive a swather all day in the summer and just watch the coyotes catching mice in my wind rows. When I got close enough on my next row I would get out and plug them. It sure broke up those 15 hour days driving. Helped keep me awake. We'd kill badgers too and saw lots of mule deer and antelope and some bobcats. In the winter they would have the calling/killing contests that you guys are talking about. I was always back in Idaho by that time but it sure sounds like a lot of fun. I'd be game to try it up here.

Default contest

The way we did it back home is the hunt would start on saturday and would end at a certain time and place sunday afternoon (normally at someones house). We would meet up friday night to drop off the prizes for the winner and so you know pople aren't out hunting then.

basicaly everyone would show up at my house friday night drink a few beers and talk some bull about who's gona beat who. The sunday night everyone would be back at my house at said time. If you were late then you were DQ'ed. We always did 1st was who ever got the most then we would do big dog and little dog. You could even do a points system for yotes,fox,cats, and wolves.

I'm definitly down to get something going if there is enough poeple interested. What do you guys think? You ready to put your skills to the test against other people around here?

I think it would be fun just to get to know a few of ya and tell lie's I mean hunting stories about how good we are!
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default First Interior Predator Hunt

It sounds like it could be a fun adventure. How soon would you all want to put this thing together? We should come up with some good rules and determine how teams/individuals scores work out. I might be able to come up with a couple of good prizes for the pot. We'd need to pick a fairly "central" location to meet and then go from there for the hunts. Springtime would be better due to the light situation and temps, but I'm game for anytime or condition. Just for initial thoughts I'd put Yotes and Fox as being an equal score, Cats above them and then Wolf/Wolverine at the top of the list. Of course no aerial "calling" would be allowed

MikeGSP,
    I was born and raised in the tri-state area of SD/IA/NE. There are a lot of coyote and fox to kill but the bobcat are slow. Get into nebraska below I-80 and you will find a lot more. Pretty cheap to hunt back there and lots of public land.
    Good luck,
    Tim

Default No luck

Well no luck. I guess I didn't understand the laws all that well and needed an Hunter Ed Card to obtain a licenses. But I could of got a Furharversters card without having that but that would of ran me $200.50, what a bummer. So I drove around with my cousin as thats how they do it, not much calling down there. It felt like spring time down there +20 the whole time. Saw a fox on the drive down, but like an idoit I had the gun in the case in the back of the truck, he was a nice black cross. He had some brown patches through out his color, almost thought it was a sliver. So got the gun up front as where it should of been instead of the 22-250 and never saw another thing after that. Saw a fox on the way home last night but there was 2-2 1/2 inches of snow on the road and still coming down and the wind was blowing so it was nasty out, but got home at a nice 5 am after leaving anchorage at 10pm and now I have to go back to work so no more playing til my R&R. I for one would be up for a contest, but I don't think a weekend is long enough, keep the posts coming though maybe I'll plan on some other state for callin and maybe we can get a few guys to pitch in and get together and go down in the future and team up on them down in the states???? So if I don't reply in a hurry I'm out in BFE working and I'll get back as soon as I can so leave me a PM so I get it.

Talking Songdogs

I just returned from Eastern Colorado, and had a blast. I went out 3 mornings, and called in and shot 5 coyotes, and a bonus red fox. I forgot how much I miss that. We saw an average of 8 dogs a day.

Yeah my girlfriend's got family down there and she keeps telling me I need to go down there to shoot parie dogs with her uncles and go yote hunting. I just got an email from her and she was out shoveling the deck off yesterday and heard she thought 4 yotes howling down in the field from the house, but I'm up here at work at Umiat and not there to put on a full fledge attack.......bummer I got 8 weeks of this before I get home.

Default Calling Contest

Calling Contest? Just name the weekend. I am defiantly into this. Maybe the guys down in Anchorage area could come up with one as well and we could compared results??

Thanks
    Carl