Thread: Fly line question

Default Fly line question

We are planning a trip to the Russian during July 18 to Aug 2nd. We will be fishing many of the road system rivers while there including Reserection (SP) creek and Peters creek. I think we will be into Cresent lake for a day trip as well.

I think I am bringing 2 fly rods- a 5 wt and a 6 wt, both 9 1/2 foot 4 pc. From every thing that I have read, I think these 2 rods will handle about everything that we will get into.

My question is the fly line. I have the Okuma SRV on both with spare spools availible if I need them. Should I work with tapored sink tips or work with wt forward float tips? How deep do the fish hold on these rivers? Would most of the fishing be in the top 3 foot or am I going to be working 4 foot and deeper? If I brought a 5wt in both wt forward and a fast sink and did the same in the 6wt, would that take care of everything that I need? Do I stay with the floating line and use shot on the leader for sink assitance where needed? I also see there is some regulations regarding shot on the line, I did a quick review and saw that there was some do's and don'ts, I need to go back and take a relook at that. I also saw that there was a wt restriction on the wt of flies.

I have looked at the multi-tip series of a few manufactures but I would be concern as to how those tips run thru the guides prior to getting to the running line. I have never used the multi-tips. I have also looked at the Sharkskin line, and quite honestly, I have a hard time spending 90.00 for one fly line, especially if I need 4 different ones.

Any suggestions from those of you guys that have fly fished these areas?

Mark

Default floating line

I would skip the sinking line, and stick with floating line with split shots. For me, it is easier to pick up and recast, especially a roll cast, with the floating line. I think the 6wt with floating line will do fine for smaller rivers like the Russian, Quartz Creek, and the valley streams. If you are planning on fishing the Kenai, I would suggest bringing something a little bigger. Perhaps an 8wt, or a pretty stiff, fast action 7. The fish might not be much bigger, but the current of the bigger rivers might leave you wanting something a little bigger. A bigger rod would help you get them in faster, and not play them to exhaustion, which would make for a faster, healthier release. There are people who use 5wts on all the rivers, but it would not be my first choice, tired out fish don't seem to release as well. Another plus of using a 7 or 8wt is you could get in a little salmon fishing too.

Jake

Default Floating

I have not used sinking line in over 20 years. The Russian and Kenai rivers where you fish for reds is not that deep. Run 8-10 feet of leader and you will be fine. The 6wt is fine for russian river reds and bows. It could be pushing it if you fish the current of the kenai. The river is usually ripping pretty good early in the year and even a 6 to 7lb fish in that current can put a serious strain on a rod. Not to mention if you are in the combat zone fising with a few hundred of your closest friends a little heavier rod will come in handy. I use my 5 for bows on the russian and quartz. I have used it for reds on the russian but that is in an area where there is not really anyone so I can use the river to play the fish. If there are alot of people around on the russian I use my 8wt and that is all I use when chasing reds on the kenai. For chasing trouts and dolly's your 5 wt should be just fine pretty much on any stream you want to fish. I do say though no sinking line.

Line price. I use a cheaper scientific angler line for reds. It gets beat up pretty bad and is used for only one season. i have never had it fail and the reds dont care trust me. It runs me about 30 bucks up here. For fall bows i do use a higher end line due to wanting to put as long and as natural of a drift out there as i can. Fishing for reds on the russian and the kenai that time of the year you will have a shot at some Hog reds. Your 6wt with a 10lb kenai red and 5-7 miles and hour of current could be an ugly situation. My 8wt gets a run for it money every year. I would not play for than 40 bucks for the line your planning on using for reds
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the replies guys. Quite honestly, I was not looking forward to use the sinking line as I have limited use and expierence with it here back in Michigan. I was thinking along the same lines that the 5 and 6 wts would do fine. How many times fishing the smaller rivers does one get into the backer? I am totally in tune to the C/R as Jake mentions, but I would think that my stiff fast tipped 6 wt would and should put the breaks to most everything that is targeted.

I am not sure that we are considering the Kenai, I have no desire to fish combat. We have enough rivers that have that here in MI, Just not my cup of mojo. We may do a float or a guide trip on the Kenai, but a shore trip is way, way down down in the overall plans. Would I be expected to have a 7 or 8wt with a guide if we do a float? I can bring one, I just hate shipping up extra rods for that "just in case".

I really apreciate the insite, especially the concern on the catch and release Jake. I may have to rethink some scenarios as you mentioned. Chuck, you take on the line is a good one. Would you spool your 6 wt with a true 6 wt or a 6-7-8 wt line?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains----

Mark

Default My thoughts

A few things throw at you. I take it then your not really targeting reds so this is a whole different ball game. IMO your 6 wt or even 5 wt will be fine. I spool my reels with 5wt line and use them on my 5, 6, and the 7wt. I just use a mid range 5wt floating line as does my wife. If you were to take a guide on the "kenai" for Rainbows and Dolliesmost of them would fish you on a 7wt. Some use 6's but most use 7's due to the fact of the current and the inexperience of alot of the fisherfolks. For chasing the bows on the russian and quartz and the rest of the streams you mentioned you will be fine with a 5 or 6 wt with no problem. M wife and I fish for bows pretty much year round on the Kenai and use pretty much 5wts now. We started on 7's. We will still use them or a 6 to it just depends on the conditions (aka wind or high water) We took several bows in the 8lb range and up to 28 inches this year on our lighter gear. I have not been taken to the backing on the Russian or quartz or any other stream other than the Kenai. Both my wife and I have probably a dozen times over the last 5 years and we put alot of hours in on that water. In the odd chance you do hook a red you will have a hell of a fight. I landed about a 12 lb silver on my 5wt just last December 20th while we were on the kenai. June and I both have hooked many reds on our 5's and 6's but we have a little more experience is all. It is allways touch and go with out light weight gear. Especially when June decides to hook one when we are drifting down the river I will say this. for my fall trip I am looking at the shark line. Then again I will put around 150 hours on the kenai in just the month of september. I am a Bow addict. Good questions and feel free to ask anything that is on your mind

You are on the right path and will do just fine with your gear. It is the fish that have to cooperate now

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Good questions and feel free to ask anything that is on your mind
    Oh great AlaskaChuck......Why is it so **** cold and who will win tonights ball game....Chargers?????
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Oh great AlaskaChuck......Why is it so **** cold and who will win tonights ball game....Chargers?????

Because Al Gore did not pay our global heating bill. I think the Colts will win but I am rooting for the Bills errrrrrrr I mean chargers

I just ordered 10,000 cases of the old Aqua Net hair spray. Im gonna stand out in my driveway and turn them all on. I figure the hole I can burn in the Ozone should be big enough to warm my place up to at least +25

Default guide on the Kenai

If you do a guided float down the Kenai, most, if not all guides, will have 7 or 8wt rods you can use. Most of them have top of the line stuff too. I think your 5 and 6wt will be perfect for the smaller creeks. I doubt you will see your backing on small rivers, unless you hook into a salmon. When I hook into a spawned out salmon, if I am getting to the end of my fly line, I just point the rod towards the fish, and hold the flyline against my handle, which will break the tippet. You will have to re-tie your setup, but that beats breaking your rod, or loosing your flyline any day. I think you are on the right train of thought, and it will be a great trip. One word of caution though, once you fish up here, it will be all you think about. Might as well start looking at houses on your first trip.

Jake

Chuck,

Yes, our main target is not reds. If they are there, great, but that is not our main target. Same for the kings. Actually, none of the fish is our main target at least it is not for me. I will plenty pleased just to slap some line against the water and enjoy the beauty of the area. If trout or salmon are in the river at that time, then I am targeting those fish. Everything for me is a catch and release other then the occasional fish that gets hooked right around the dinner bell. The one fish that I would like to target is a Grayling. They are a fantastic fish and I have never caught one. Actually, they are a native fish to Michigan that has been wiped out over time.

I really like your suggestion of the mid range 5wt line and using it on both my 6 and 5 wt rods. Thast solves several issues with me. I then can use the 2nd reel as a spare and save myself from having to aquire spare spools. Most of all, I love tossing a 5 wt. Thank you for your suggestions. I have a ton more questions but will start new threads to keep the topics seperated for future searches by others.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    One word of caution though, once you fish up here, it will be all you think about. Might as well start looking at houses on your first trip.
    I already placed that bug in my wifes ear........Was a resounding NO.

Now had you said that same thing after we got done fishing off of Molokai and Lanai, you would of been right on target and it was I that had the resounding NO!!

We were with 2 paws and his wife this evening and it appears that the wives are working out a trip to Cancun while were are in AK. Dont get me wrong, my wife loves to fish and we have been all over the states doing just that. She just is not quite into the back country fishing expiditions. I think her idea of "roughing it" is somewhere where they don't take a credit card.

Thanks guys....

Mark

If you want to know about ruined. PM johnSWA on here. He will never be the same after fishing up here with us last year

if you are fishing reds I'd bring an 8 or a 9 or just buy a cheap lamaglass at walmart when you get here line it with mono or whatever no need to get fancy when snagging reds (snagging them in the mouth of course). A 6 is pretty light for sockeye especially on the kenai or if the water on the russian is high at all. A 6 wt is great for rainbows though, I'd bring a 2, 3 or 4 for grayling if you could swing it, they don't fight super hard.

IMO you need a Wt or DT floating line for every rod you own for trout at and grayling floating lines are fine 95% of the time plus you can get a sink tip section to throw on the front of your line and bam an instant sink tip. Spend the extra cash to get a good line, like SA mastery, AIrflow Ridgeline, Rio Gold, my favorite taper is the "steelhead/salmon" taper which has a much longer body allowing for better roll casting plus you can hold more line in the air without shooting, on 5 wt this taper for SA is called "expert distance"

sometimes sinking lines are pretty freaking fun some times too... But often unessisary. If you have an extra spool get a t-130 or something like that but typically when I'm fishing sink tips I'm throwing them on a spey rod or something like that.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

After a few PM's with Chuck, I am staring to get a "feel" for the reds and starting to understand the gear. From what I am reading, BASIC is the way to go fishing for reds.....I guess what I am looking for is the "other" fish and I believe you guys are spot on. I am looking at the floating weight forward but what Patrick just posted, maybe a double taper may be the way to go. I am thinking if I tear up one end, in a pinch, I could al the very least turn it around for a fresh end. I will look into both the SA expert distance and the Rio gold.

Thanks guys for all the advise.

Mark

Joining in late, but I say just get whatever WF line you would normally use at home. If chasing some dollies/grayling/bows and such in the smaller waters, this will do fine. Go by Troutfitters in Cooper Landing and have them suggest some flies when you get up there. They do guided trips too and are highly recommended from everyone I have spoke with. If you go out on a guided trip for bows (recommended) you will have nicer gear to use that they bring.

If you hike any, consider Lost Lake trail near Seward for a day hike to a remote area with great scenery and lots of grayling likely to be there. There is a cabin there you can rent for cheap. State owned with a boat I am pretty sure.

Also, there is upper and lower Paradise Lakes. One, or both may require a fly in from Moose Pass. Like $300 per person round trip. But you have the place to yourself entirely I would expect. There is a state owned cabin there you can rent for $45/night and a boat comes with it. Great way to get away from the crowds for a few days. Google will tell you more. PM me if interested and I will forward you the info I have on it. I love the Kenai, but hate all the people. I will plan on 2-3 nights at one of these cabins in my future week long trips to the Kenai.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan is dead on too. Talk to troutfitters for some fly suggestions. Great folks and if you want a guided trip on the kenai they are my 1st choice also

Does Troutfitters have an online store or is there a way to reach them on the internet?

Thnaks Dan for the suggestions. I will do a bit of research. I really appreiaciate the advise.

Mark

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.