Thread: Help needed with run times

Default Help needed with run times

Hello,
    I hope to making stops in Juneau, Ketchikan and Seward this summer and I am trying to get information on the normal salmon run times. I can find a lot of information on run times but it is pretty general, such as southeast Alaska but have had no luck with finding projected run times for a more specific location.

I would appreciate any help you could give me with where to find this information.

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply.

A lot of the lodges have run times posted. However what I found out when I first started going up there. Every chart I found said run times for lets say Silvers were July. When I got up there, everyone said, oh, the silvers won't be in for a week or two. In other words, don't rely on charts, hopefully people here will have a good idea based on different areas. I have always found silvers to be later than projected times. However it is all up to mother nature. Southeast like Ketchikan and Prince of Wales is what I am most familiar with. Their runs are very dependent on rain flow. The rivers are small, if it rains heavy one day and the rivers swell, expect a good rush of fish up the rivers.

Fish and Game has a site to help answer your question: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tim/runtim.cfm

Charlie -

Juneau (specifically) is pretty hot during May for kings.

Mid July through September is good for silvers.

I start fishing in mid April, and usually stop in the first week of June.

Then I pick up again in July.

One factor that is often undermentioned are resident kings that loiter in the area that will not be spawning for another season.

You might consider sending a PM to CanCan Case since he operates charters in this area and probably has more specifics on other runs.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

well mid may-september there will be salmon kings then reds then pinks then chums then silvers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.