Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling gold

Default selling gold

Say I get a few pounds of gold, or one gold chunk that weighs about 3 pounds. OK, let's just say I have some flake and small nuggets to sell. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could sell it in AK? Do the places that buy it all give the same rate, or is it better to shop around?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default A couple ideas. . .

I looked into this a short time back and, from my limited efforts, think there are two places in Anchorage that buy gold. One is the Alaska Mint and can't think of the name of the other, but the AK Mint could probably tell you.

Please let me know what you find out. . . would like to know if you find an outfit that will pay spot.

You might try Ebay, for the larger one you could check with Steve at alaska mining and diving, he could tell you what would be the best way to sell it and how much to expect to get for it.

Now I gotta go out and get me a 3-lb. nugget. This sounds like a fun hobby that can go hand-in-hand with ATV'ing. I'm already wanting a metal detector.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

It is fun, good luck on the 3 pounder, gotta git me one too.

Default Ak Mining

On the AK Mining site they have pictures of the largest nuggets found in Alaska. Cool pictures that get you thinking and woundering when it might be your turn. There was one found just within the past 2 years in Nome by a guy who was witching for gold. And another up that way almost as large that was found by a miner that dug in a spot about a yard wide where the bucket dredge missed. Oop's.....

Default Selling gold

Oxford Assaying and Refining buys and sells gold. They have an office in Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Default nuggets

You can generally expect to get about three times spot market value for a good specimen gold nugget but the bottom line is dictated by what someone is willing to pay and how much patience you have to hold out for the top price. I have a Minelab GP3500 that I can't wait to take to AK; this thing picks up low flying Super Cubs!!

Yeah, metal detectors seems like a great investment. I'm from sweden and where I live there used to be lots of gold findings back in the days. Perhaps I should just step outside my door and start looking. I Sure could use the extra cash right now.

Default Oxford Assaying

Oxford on Arctic buys gold, but they buy it below spot as they assay it and melt it. I've just started researching this topic and it seems that Ebay has buyers that are more aggresive. You might consider watching Ebay carefully.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Now I gotta go out and get me a 3-lb. nugget. This sounds like a fun hobby that can go hand-in-hand with ATV'ing. I'm already wanting a metal detector.
    na quit waistig your time on the small stuff...

we just go look for that one five pounder a year..

no luck yet though... but its out there i know it is...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Google gold prospecting forums, I'm sure most will have a Buy/Sell section.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Google gold prospecting forums, I'm sure most will have a Buy/Sell section.
    Yes, I have seen quite a few of those sites, but I would still recomende going to a local jeweler. A lot of scammers on those sites, sell your gold to a jeweler to be on the safe side.

Qxford buys the small stuff at 65% spot price of that day. Anything thats pickers on up I would ebay or sell/trade to jewelers. Nice thing about and auction site... you set your min ( say 70% spot ) and let it go from there. I currently thinking of making this a double threat, I am getting out my silver/gold smithing gear from my years of taking UAA silversmithing classes so I can make use of my prospecting finds. I just need them a little bigger =D

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=65980

O.K., say you bought a gold ring with 4 small dimonds in it for $750.00 back when gold was say $285.00 an ounce, what would it be worth today?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    O.K., say you bought a gold ring with 4 small dimonds in it for $750.00 back when gold was say $285.00 an ounce, what would it be worth today?
    I would say that the dimonds are the biggest part of that price, but perhaps a 15-20% price increase. It could be higher (or lower) since I don't know the carat and weight of the gold nor the size of the dimonds. Are you about to cash in your gold engagement ring or what?

Broken down to its raw material worth, prob not to much more. You see, the real mark-up is in its finished jewelry state. Diamonds and jewelry have a universal mark-up of around 30 to 50%. You take the hit in the shorts if you cant pass that mark-up you paid for on the a new owner, OTHER THAN another retailer or pawnshop. They know its worth and will make money on its re-sale. Get it certified and sell on ebay or another websites for sale lis, like here or Alaska List. The jewlery I have bought the wife, I like to make myself feel better by saying it was an investment but really its only worth what someone thinks or will pay for it.

I have a wedding ring, the one with the dimonds, (24 car) and a band (24 car)

Hung on to them for a while, ( don't need them anymore) and was just wondering.

You sure they are 24K, thats almost pure gold and really soft to work with. One the other hand, its worth more since its alloyed less. 18K is about the norm for high end stuff, it give the gold more durability.

Stamped inside the ring. (24)

Thats what she said she paided for it in "92"

(we bought each others rings, she said she threw hers in the river about 8 years ago) That was over a $1000.00 at the time,lol

I think she sold them though, lol

I bought a band so I could wear it at work, it is a 24 car. also.

Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, just wondering what they were worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast