Thread: Slippery tent floors, pads and bags

Default Slippery tent floors, pads and bags

All these new frabrics are really slippery. Does anyone know of a spray on nonadheisive that will help keep your sleeping bag on the pad and the pad in place on the tent floor.
    On my last overnighter I was sliding all over and could`nt keep my pad from squirting out from under me
    Any tips appreaciated

quick fix for this annoying problem, actually two ways i have tackled it:

1) use some type of silicone (the clear bathroom type works) and on the bottom and top of your sleeping pad, simply place dots along it, i did row of three or four horizontally and several rows down the length.

2) they sell 3M tape that has one side that is rough/abrasive (not rough enough to damage a sleeping bag). i have put small strips on the bottom or top of my pad.

i like the silicone dot one the best as i don't have to worry about the adhesive coming off. i don't do anything to my tent or sleeping bag, just the pad.

Default Yup, silicone

What I've done with good success is to use remaining silicone from seam sealing to paint stripes of it onto the floor of the tent. Really helps to keep things in place.

Naturally I always try to set up on level ground, too.

Don't know if they still make it or not since they have "upgraded" the surface of their sleeping pads but Thermarest used to make a spray specifically for that purpose - the old Thermarest pads used to be way slick and slippery - any body remember those...back in the day!

Lightbulb

There is a simpler fix...

Put the sleeping pad inside the bag.

I have done this for the last few years and would never consider putting the bag on top of the pad again. Obviously you can't use a recatangular pad and a mummy bag. Putting the pad in the bag allows you to flip side to side very easily too. A common thing for me while sleeping on the hard ground. No need to be slipping off your pad at night. Bag it! If you are doing some cold weather camping, put a closed cell pad under the bag. You will not slip off it anyway as it is not slippery. This gives added insulation and if your inflatting pad failed, you still have some insulation under you. This reminds me of anohter advantage, putting the pad in the bag will greatly reduce the likelyhood of a failed inflatting pad. No dirt/rocks/etc.. in your sleeping bag I hope
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Aqua Seal dots...

I read about a nonadhesive spray in Dennis Confer's book - he got from LL Bean. I checked the LL Bean website without success.

Another tip - maybe from Mike Strahan's book (?) was to use Aqua Seal for dots. Let 'em dry good! I might also do a test dot beforehand to insure compatible material.

The answers are simple:

1. Use clear silicone as told by other above

2. Buy one of the thin plastic pads or liner that are made (and sold for that matter) to be placed between your home's rug a a carpet or runner. Just ask your wives

The reason why I tell you to ask your wives is because mine showed me what these pads are: they stick to the rug, and now one can place a runner over the top, and the runner stays put. I have no idea if it will work on a tent's floor, but since the pads are so cheap at Wal-Mart, try one on your tent during the summer and see how it goes. Also, these is a mesh type of pad that one can use in the kitchen drawers, or even in the tool box drawers to stop the tools from sliding around. This one is non-adhesive, and made of some sort of silicone. Put one of those pads on the kitchen tiles, then try to slide on one of them, it it will bring you to an screeching halt! Not kidding This one would be my favorite, because I can roll it and put it away to use over and over.

Hey, look: I found a picture of the stuff I am talking about (the tan color roll). This stuff is available locally at Wal-Mart, Fred Mayer, etc. The only problem I can see is that the rolls are only about 14" wide, but maybe the company that makes this product has longer and wider strips (ask them):
    http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI

A 24" x 4' pad, but much more expensive. However, I am certain that if one shops around, one should be able to find the stuff locally.
    http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/...er-661147.aspx

Default shelf liner

might be the stuff ray mentioned. it is about a tenth of an in thick and like a foam. it is used to line shelves and comes on a roll. i keep a couple pieces rolled up with my pads and use them between pads and bags. a 12 in wide and 3 to 4 ft long piece laid length ways will hold the bag in place. i added the silicon dots too but they seem to have gotten dirty and lost stickyness.