Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best-in-class Dall Sheep hunt

Default Best-in-class Dall Sheep hunt

Time flies by and before I get too old I would like to go on a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. It will be once in a lifetime so I want to look to hunt in a good area capable of regularly producing good trophies and with a well reputed outfitter with the highest success rates.
    I have done a bit of mountain hunting in my life and I am reasonably fit, but being almost 50 I am not looking for a brutally tough hunt and I would value the possibility of hunting from horse back.
    The trophy that I dream for is a fully mature ram, 9 years or older, with deeply curled horns of 37 inches and with 13 ¼ or 13 1/2 inch bases. I don't hunt with a measuring tape in my pocket, though, it is just that I want to try in a territory that produces trophies of this size with regularity and not once every few years because the genetics are simply not there or the area is overhunted.
    Thanks everybody in advance and best regards from Spain.
    BBerg

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BBerg View Post
    Time flies by and before I get too old I would like to go on a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. It will be once in a lifetime so I want to look to hunt in a good area capable of regularly producing good trophies and with a well reputed outfitter with the highest success rates.
    I have done a bit of mountain hunting in my life and I am reasonably fit, but being almost 50 I am not looking for a brutally tough hunt and I would value the possibility of hunting from horse back.
    The trophy that I dream for is a fully mature ram, 9 years or older, with deeply curled horns of 37 inches and with 13 ¼ or 13 1/2 inch bases. I don't hunt with a measuring tape in my pocket, though, it is just that I want to try in a territory that produces trophies of this size with regularity and not once every few years because the genetics are simply not there or the area is overhunted.
    Thanks everybody in advance and best regards from Spain.
    BBerg
    BB,
    Alaska's sheep have been hit real hard by competion and predators. I suggest you not limit your search for a hunt, to Alaska. Canadian guides probably offer an even better selection of what you describe you are looking for. But if insist on Alaska and you have plenty of money and a reasonable amount of time to spend on the hunt, I suggest you inquire with the guides that have exclusive use in the national parks. There are only a handful of them, so that is where I suggest you concentrate your efforts. These guides get to hunt and guide in the parks and thus do not have the competition of other guides or resident hunters, as they are not allowed to hunt there by law. Concentrate your search to the Wrangell/St. Elias Park first. Then Gates of the Arctic Park and then Lake Clark Park. You can eliminate competition if you have the resources.
    Good Luck.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

i belive terry overly is gonna be about the closest thing you find to your fantasy hunt.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default I seem to remember

a story about Coke Wallace doing a horseback hunt for moose - don't remember what magazine it was in, but either Outdoor Life or American Hunter.
    I don't know if he does sheep hunts too?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i belive terry overly is gonna be about the closest thing you find to your fantasy hunt.

Yep, thats probably true.

Welcome to the forum, BBerg.

Default Terry Overly

is probably going to be your best shot. They hunt off horseback and get the sheep your are seeking. Pioneer Outfitters is the name of his business. You will hunt in some of the prettiest country there is with them.

Default Your goals....

....pretty much describes what Terry Overly offers. I have no personal experience but have not heard any complaints and usually kudos.
    http://www.pioneeroutfitters.com/ I understand not cheap....but quality rarely is. Good luck.

Thumbs up rams

You can also check with Kirk Ellis. His rams are not large, but he has a good success rate.

For larger sheep, also check out www.huntalaskasheep.com, outfit operated by Matt Snyder and his family Sue and Frank Entsminger. Although much of their success is in permit areas, they have intimate knowledge of regular, non-permit areas also.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    These guides get to hunt and guide in the parks and thus do not have the competition of other guides or resident hunters, as they are not allowed to hunt there by law.
    SP
    Akres, can you give an example of where it is legal for a guide to take a non-res. client sheep hunting but, as a resident, I am not allowed to hunt there by law?

Not trying to start anything, but hasn't the guide being named numerous times above been discussed on the forum more than once, though not openly named. As I recall there were numerous claims of his operation buzzing non client hunters and chasing away near by sheep with their plane. Also a number of instances where non client hunters in the area have been verbally harrassed and even threatened by this operation.

Sorry, I know we're not supposed to name people or outfitters if they haven't been legally fined or convicted, but I think everone can figure out who I'm talking about. I just don't feel comfortable not informing a potential client about illegal actions and misconduct claims against a guide that has been named/recommended to them. I hope everyone on the forum would provide me with the same information if I was searching for a guide or transporter.

Talking National Park, Brooks

I would hunt with Rich Guthrie in the Brooks Range. He has an exclusive guide use area. He is also a pilot and will fly you into camp with his cub. I have guided in the Chugach, Talkeetna, Kenai, Alaska and the Wrangells (AAA) and sheep numbers (legal rams) were far greater in the brooks then any where else. www.alaskabrownbearhunting.com 907-243-5136

I agree with the rest of them here, Terry is a class act.

And as far as being to "old at 50", HA! Your just getting started man. Keep your health up and exercise regularly and your good for at least 15 more years. My Goat hunting partner this past year (08') was 64yrs, yup, he's a tuff bugger! I put us in for sheep and goat this year and with any luck of the draw I'll see what he can do at 65 now!

BBerg - good advice from Jake (BRWNBR), who is also an Alaskan registered guide.

Terry's website is - http://www.pioneeroutfitters.com/
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Ak Wonderer, for what this guy is looking for is excatly why we hear stories of guys spotting game from the air....like you mentioned and if they have good sheep, that they'v seen from the air, they tend to get more territorial, creating circumstances like the others you mentioned.
    Bberg (no offense meant here) is looking for something, almost shopping, and to find what he wants he's gonna almost need a guy who's got a plane in the air looking. Small outfitts or even outfits who do it old school, by foot with no plane doing recon typically can't put out a success rate to contend with the outfits who've got a spotter going, they put out higher success rates, sometimes average better sheep and tend to run more clients, because they can do that by keeping an "eye" on the sheep. And because sheep are held on a higher pedastal that almost ALL othere alaskan game, the act of hunting them is more and more scrutinized.
    I don't know if terry has a plane in the air....i know he kills alot of sheep, is in a good area for them and runs alot of clients and has horses. Most of those things were on the "list" that Bberg gave us. I can put two and two together and sometimes be right...but i'm not gonna point a finger and say thats how he rolls...
    I'm only recommending his area and success rate for what Bberg is looking for, not recommending mr overly personally as i don't know him.
    Master guide 212

Thank you gentlemen. I know have to do some work going through all the info you have so kidly provided.
    Thanks, again, and I will let you know about my findings.
    Sincerely,
    BBerg

Default Nahanni

If the lancasters are still hunting the Nahanni in Canada - that would be a good bet for success and easy. The sheep population is good and they have great genetics - - I can't imagine the zero's behind the first number though.......ouch. Heli drop camp - open your tent - close the bolt - bang your done. Congrats on your easy sheep

Default Mountain Monarchs

Dave Leonard - Mountain Monarchs of Alaska. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out Dave's operation. Top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Heli drop camp - open your tent - close the bolt - bang your done. Congrats on your easy sheep
    Boy, that sure sounds like a fun sheep hunt.

ya, the things money can do....
    Master guide 212

Default could hear

the tales behind that one eh!

I thought that sheep hunting was about the sweat and probable blood that the hunter spills - not the sheep?

I guess that if you are forking out $12-20K then a guy should try to go with someone who has the best success rates that you can find. Can't blame a guy for doing some research.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast