Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a Boat North

Talking Shipping a Boat North

I need to ship a boat from the Seattle area to Whittier. I'm in the precess of getting prices from Northland and Alaska Marine Lines. Anyone have any other ideas on other shippers to try? If anyone has done this and has some advise, does or don'ts, I would appreciate any info or help. Thanks

Default uShip.com

Try uShip.com...

A co-worker of mine had his boat brought up at about 1/2 price of AML & Tote.

Thanks I will give it a try

If the boat is on a trailer, try the Alaska Marine Highway. I believe they have 2 gulf crossings a month. Depart out of Bellingham, change ships in Juneau (small fee), then direct to Whittier. Cost should be significantly lower - based on my own personal experience just last month. There is nothing to it. Took 6 days total. They fill up quick, so book as soon as possible.

Good luck in your decision.

Default AK Marine Ferry

I just purchased a 27 SeaSport Pilothouse in Washington. It will ship on the 9th of this month. I tried several lines including Ak marine line, Tote,and another 1 or 2. Most averaged in the $7-7500 range. It may be lower now if the changed their "fuel surcharge". The state ferry is about $3800. I have to pay a wrecker service in Juneau to take off and put back on, but that is only about $200. I also recieved some quotes from U ship, but the ferry was still a better option. They only come here 2 times per month, so you need to reserve space.It departs from Bellingham and you must check in 3 hours early. It takes a week to arrive in Whittier. The overall length is what they charge you on and I believe mine was about 33'-35'.If it is over 8 1/2 wide they add 25% to your bill. Now the waiting begins for me. I just hope the weather is cooperative to go from Whittier to Anchorage on the 15th. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions on it, just PM me.

Smile Slow typer

Good advice Ak buck! If I weren't such a slow typer it wouldn't sound like an echo in here!

You might check with some of the fish processors, they usually have tenders coming up from seattle and maybe one of them would put your boat on deck and haul it up here. I had my 28' bowpicker brought up that way, picked it up with a crane in seattle, put it on deck of a tender, bedded on a bunch of tires, chained her down and 2 weeks later she was in cordova. If i remember correctly it was about 2-3 grand w/the crane.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking

Thanks for all of the good advice. Potpuller how did you contact these fish processor to make your arrangements.

I just asked one of the processors i was planning on selling fish to if they had any tenders going to cordova in the spring. If you have any buddies that commercial fish ask them to make a call or two for you. You might also try a want ad on Craigslist in the seattle area?? you never know. I do a lot of business with Pacific Alaska Freightways 800-426-9940 you might give them a all and see what they quote you.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking Thanks

Thanks Potpuller. Some good inf to check on.

Talking Sorry

Sorry Potbuilder for calling you by the wrong name. I think it is this disease that I have but can not remember what it is.

Default Amhs

If you use the Ferry system, contact the terminal and make your reservations through them. I had booking issues when I used Ferry Adventures (which is the internet contact point) to get my NR up to Haines.

I used Tote when I shipped my boat up last year. Pricing under everyone else, good customer service and a bit quicker than most. We were 100% satisfied and had no issues.

One BIG thing to consider that doesn't get mentioned much is the amount of insurance they provide if something happens. Most places I checked had a maximum total (if the barge went down and/or lost my boat) payout that was way less than the value of my boat. Be sure they will cover your boat if they loose it. No sense in your insurance picking up the tab if they have an issue.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I also used tote in 2006 to ship my boat to Anchorage. The boat on the trailer weight 18500 lenght was 43 ft by 10.5ft wide cost was $6500. If your boat is insured you should get it cleared with the bank and the insurance company before you ship.

Talking Goods Help

Thanks for all the good info that is still coming in. I have several requests for quotes, so will wait a see how they come in.

Default Shipping North

I have a 24 footer coming up from the Seattle area and I'm using the Ferry. It was supposed to get here on Jan 1 but they couldn't get my boat to the ferry because of the big snow storm. The Ferry system was good about rescheduling. The Ferry was $3,500 less than what Tote quoted me.

Talking Thanks

Thanks PastorBob, I'm waiting on info from the ferry. Do you have to have the boat transfered to a different ferry in Juneau and if so was it a hassle making arrangements? THANKS

Default Shipping North

Blue Thunder, My boat needs to change Ferry’s in Juneau. If your boat is going to Whittier the second ferry doesn’t leave until the next day. The Ferry system doesn't do the transfers themselves. But the lady I talked to on the phone when I called the Ferry reservation line was helpful and gave me a lead in Juneau.

The lead she gave me didn't pan out when I called but they gave me another lead. This happened a couple of times until I found someone who would do it. Stan at Excel Towing (907-723-0493)agreed to do it. He had me fax him all the information and also asked for me to call and remind him the day before the ferry was due in Juneau. Stan is reasonable and I think you can arrange with him to move it from one ferry to other for you.

Hope this helpful.

Talking Thanks

That is good contact info, for the transfer. THANKS

Good advice about the Ferry. I didn't even think of that last time I brought a boat up. I actually drove down and picked it up in Seattle. I can tell you with the current fuel prices and wear & tear I would ship a boat hands down if I were to do it again. Good Luck.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast