Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids...

Default Kids...

I dint want to hijack Northwestalaska's thread, but he did touch on something I firmly belive in.; Start them young.

I haul my kids around, and now the oldest ones are beside me.
    The Fact is you cant learn to hunt unless your actually doing so. It take the experiance.
    My kids and some of what we do...

My daughter Mary's first Caribou. She layed down and shot it wwith my M-39. Being a heavy rifle, and she being 8, she layed down, and rested ina hole with the rifle on the Tundra.
    One shot and it hit th eside of the neck, comming out the top of th eshoulder...kida weird.

My sons brought this Harbor seal home after checking Net for their mom. We couldnt figure out "how" they got it in the boat!!!
    My younger son Jon harpooned it and they took the "nantucket sleigh ride" around Kiwalik Lagoon, untill it tired and they clubbed it.Then they pulled it in the boat.

Gees my oldest son shot for breakfast...ahhh, shot untill he was outta shells! LOL!
    The family that plucks together eats together.

A Caribou Jon shot when we were almost home.....

I really would like to see a forum based on the "Subsistance" ideal.
    mostly(not all) of this board is trophy hunting and such, and a forum that we can post plenty of pictures insted of only 4, and a wide variety of topics could be touched on.I belive you would get alot more information, input as well as tips from bush Alaska that way. Most people in the bush hunt a bit differently than gets posted here, and for different reasons, seasons and animals. Most hunters in Village Alaska hunt all year around to boot .

Just an idea.

I don't hunt for trophies. I hunt for the experience of getting out in the wild by myself, with my friends and with my children. When I shoot something it goes in the freezer.

Unfortunately, most of us do not have the opportunities you do because of our location. There are plenty of cow moose kill pics, spring black bear pics, and meat caribou pics in the hunting section. That's as close as most of us come to subsistance. I enjoy your posts immensely and they bring back fond memories of my times spent in coastal N.W. Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Nice pics of the family. Glad your keeping traditions alive and teaching the kids.
    My parents did the same with my 2 sisters and me. We did everything together. Have been teaching my 2 girls to do everything outdoors.
    They get to do fishcamp every year and the oldest is 6yrs old is going to cut fish this year. She also has her own 22 so she will got ptarmigan hunting.
    Rural Alaskans do hunt different than urban as you say.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

sweet pics stranger. i catch myself wishing lots of times that i could live like you do. but for now im wrapped up in the big city life and there are others in my life that would NOT go for it . ill have more freedom when i retire though.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

mostly(not all) of this board is trophy hunting and such.

I don't trophy hunt and enjoy my subsistence as much as rural residents even though I live in an urban area. Both of my daughters hunt and fish and dislike the taste of beef - they prefer what they call real meat "moose"

Salmon, Halibut, ling cod, bottom fish, pike, trout, moose, bear, grouse, home raised chickens and what we grow in our garden provide us with full freezers. Subsitence is not only for those in rural areas - For some of us "urban dwellers" it is a way of life- I hunt for food.

I too started them young:

Most excellent!

I know firmly that people who live in urban Alaska do (and should if they dont) subsistance hunt. Most of my friends in Anch or Fbx hunt first for meat.Thats the Alaskan way.I just notice that there are only a few, by comparason, Bush hunters here. If I lived in a large City, I would carry on as you fellas.
    Many of my friends here dont hunt at all, but work hard in an office.
    I am just of the mind that it could be a "catagory" onthe outdoor forum like the 'shooting, 'hunting' , 'fishing' are here.
    Where we could show how we ,in our own way, utilize the natural resources, or make crafts. Would anyone like to see Fur hats, gathering greens and berrys, sea products like herring eggs, seaweed, clamming,and drying fish, Home artwork, carvings, jewlry, hand made tools, baskets and spears ,setting ice nets, or maby other weird stuff that people do with their catch, say, make your own ruffs, mittens and patterns for such??

Im also of the mind that maby some more bush Folks would tune in with such a place in the forum, and post here as well.

Im still getting it down here, maby such a place is redundant.
    Im wondering if a couple of my posts were off topic or out of place from the start?
    I would like to place my posts in the "Right" places, as I have alot to write about, now that Im on my own computer, and its -40 LOL!!

Default Subsistence kids

Hey stranger, the mods watch over, and move posts/threads as they see fit. Start your thread where you want and the moderators will judge accordingly.
    I caution against too many labels. Us Alaskans are already too divided. Rural-Urban, Subsistence-Sport, Commercial-Personal use. We all are "resource users" and choose in our own way to get what we want from the resources. Perhaps we have more in commen and should look to our similiarities.
    I hunt to provide. A large animal, with associated large rack, brings more meat (and really good meat during the right time of year) And more money. Large racks sell for good money and help pay for the cost of the hunt! Oh, if I could only sell big bears!!
    I only have one helper and am just getting started taking her out. Here she is:

And here she is with the fruits of her dads trapping and her grandmothers sewing:

You don't have to live in rural Ak to do and get these things.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Exactly, Martintrapper.
    Sports and subsistance can be had in the same pull of the trigger with the same animal. Have fun and eat it too.
    Rual or Urban makes no difference at all. Im no Fed.Everybody should get toi hunt as long as the resouce can sustain it.That too, makes Alaska a great State, you CAN have it your way, anywhere.
    Its hunting.

I try my best to relate what I would like to see, Im not out to "label" anyone in anyway.
    Subsistance isnt only "hunting", it crafting,building, sewing fishing gathering beach combing and so much more, its a rich life style defined by a poor "word"..."Sub" anything never sounds good......, so I'm lost when it I try to post things, and I really have been holding back, trying again, deleting, shortening trying again...LOL!! ...arrrgh..LOL!!Arrrrgh..

"""BUT"""

you can see where Im going...with your posting of thet absolutely gorgus Muskrat Parkee, you make my case, without words. Thas the kina stuff Im trying to figure as a place to post. Trapping? Sewing? Kids? Where do it go?
    Where do we post things that people are writing me about? Like Baskets a, fish traps and gauntletts from Caribu? Hahhahahah I blew this outta proportion, I guess.

Break it this way;
    If everybody could go whaling, we'd have a "Whale" section. Thats the only thing Im looking tward, and not wanting to screw it up from the start...LOL!
    Well, untill then the mods can figure this out.Thanks for that tip, or I wouldnt post alot probly.

I refuse to compare Hunters in any way, unless what their doing is outright wrong, like those Point Hope P-O-S's for example, 'cause theres plenty out there for us all.....and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cute kid.

Thanks for sharing. I think your posts are great.

No photos as it was dark at the time...

My 5 year old niece and 6 year old nephew saw my FN-FAL in the back of my truck and wanted to shoot it bad enough they practically begged me. So we drove out onto the river to where there was a large bank, slapped the earmuffs on them and while I held onto the rifle, my niece fired once, jumped up and down laughing and then she popped off two more. Same with the nephew. They had shot "ataq's nutqanpak". Then I let them shoot my wife's little Beretta .22 Tomcat. They are hooked.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

A kids forum would not be a bad idea............Let them show themselves........Bob

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

I can honestly say that since the kids are mostly all old enough i have experienced an entirely new level of enjoyment of hunitng... I have always been of the subsistence mind rather then the sport hunter.. as is Alaska's long tradition. There is nothing greater then Hearing for the first time from my step son... DUDE YOU ROCK!!!!! as we are pulling his first bear out of the brush... never have i had so many thank yous for taking me hunting...

the ecstatic grins on my girls as they got their first bunnies and a bear and a bou this year. the constant competition to be in dads favor during preseason... ( man can i get the dishes washed then LOL) so they may be chosen as the first to go... watching them learn to sort their gear, and learn to leave the stuffed bears home LOL.... ( they are kids) and the shooting. self policing their gun safety. practice with the pellet rifles when they have again run out of ammo... i really need to get into reloading.......

nothing like stalking a bou... and taking an extra hour to do so because the Berry patch was full. they do not operate on the same level we do. and i have found more enjoyment by being slowed to there pace then i ever seen at mine...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm in a better mood now. I'm sorry if my first post in this thread was a little coarse.

Some of my fondest memories were going out with the teenagers from the Black River area hunting seals and beluga whales. I couldn't shoot, but I could observe. Those kids could flat drive a boat.

My son butchering his first deer. Many folks wouldn't consider spending a couple thousand dollars to go hunt as subsistance, but we ate every bit of that deer. .

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Cool.
    This Bull was worked by me and "Second son" Jon.
    I see you guys have same methods as us, AKdoug.
    If its not sandy,I ,too, skin them first, take the straps, legs off then open the brisket and gut (The carcass lifts right off) and dissasemble the ribs/spine.
    I make my opening cuts and use my hands to push off the skin,to keep the fat on the meat and the meat clean...Not much blood on the skin, either, when I'm done.

This is the "Shot" that I got to take.The second son, Jon, tryed out his #5 on a bit too distant of a target, about 250 yards. He put it at his feet, and the next round jammed. I tryed to give my Mosin to him, but he smiled and grabbed the camera.

Default Awesome

well i wanted to say Thank You to everyone that has posted but STRANGER well dun again. I have been eally enjoying your reads the last week over here in iraq and look forward to any thing else you have to write about. the stuff you make is just beautiful and i wish i had the money to put one on my wall. Well thank you again all and keep up the good work. O by the way i have a 5 yr old girl and a 3 year old boy and they have got to go duck and grouse hunting with me and got to help butcher my caribou i got before i came over. not on the hunt as i was with a couple buddies but they got to help put it in the freezer and got to eat it and love it.

matt

Default Here's an idea-

Stranger,

Probably it would be good to just post anything related to hunting in the hunting forum, fishing in the fishing forum, and so forth. You have some good ideas here though, and it might be worth looking at this.

The photos are great! I hope you post some more for us!

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for all the post stranger and everyone else. I too grew up enjoying the outdoors and have so included my own children as well. I started out carrying them in packs on my back and now they follow along on their own feet. All of them enjoy just being out in the woods as well as participating in the hunting and fishing. Granted they do tend to lose interest when the fishing or animals slow down! I have found they as well as my wife enjoy it more when they are comfortable and when I am patient with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great Idea

Count me as one soon-to-be-former lesser 48'er that would love to see a forum for the old ways / making due / filling freezers / subsistance / etc/etc/etc/ kind of forum.

Default Home Run Baby!

Stranger:

I believe you have done something that the rest of us have missed by a mile. We are all sharing pics of hunting, fishing and family with out anyone getting up set about anything. Subsistence, trophy… no just hunting and we are all having a good time sharing our experiences.

Good job guys!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Ak
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Hell, I don't even hunt and I read every word
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast