Thread: Ground School

Default Ground School

Just getting into flying. looking for some advice on some good ground school DVD lessons? Or any recommendations on where to take ground in Fairbanks? Thanks

Have you checked out UAF?

Default tamarack?

Tamarack over at the airport does a bunch of instruction. They may have one or know who does. Good luck.

Default Lesson's

Just from my point of view. I took my private ground school in person, did my instrument ground school one on one and recently completed my commercial ground by cd and I have to say I enjoy the classroom environment alot more. Also I think I got alot more out of it listening to other people questions and having an actual person to bounce things off of. I always had good scores, 95, 91 and a 98 but got the least out of the dvd/cd programs. Alot of the DVD or CD programs just teach the test so be carefull. Learning to fly was one of the greatest and one of the most inspirational times in my life. I could not Imagine not being able to surf the wind in my plane. Your private pilot lisence is a ticket to learn and you will learn something new almost everytime you fly. Good luck.

Default Thanks

I appriciate the input! Thank you

There are two reasons to take ground school.

1. Pass the written test. In this case the King DVD series works well. I use it for my students who are huing up on their written.

2. Actually keep from killing yourself. In this case a real in person stuff is nice. Usually I mix my one on one ground school teaching along with the King DVD or CD course.

Sometimes just getting the written test out of the way is a huge metal relief to some students. Then they can start the real learning.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I did all of mine on my own with the exception of the CFI. That being said it worked out well for me but I do enjoy classroom instruction where everyone learns together. The CFI turned out well but it wasn't in a classroom, just myself and an instructor. As an idea if you can't find a ground school going on but don't want to pay an instructor on your own you could self study and then use an instructor to help make sure you understand everything and clarifly anything that you don't get. I am all about being doing everything safe, efficient and the most cost effective.

Default Flight Training

I just finished mine, passed my practical last month. I tried to use Francie at Tamaracks, but she uses a C-150 and my 6-6 frame just wasnt going to work. So I used Warbelows because they have two C-172's which worked well for me. Steve Green is the primary flight instructor there and I cant say enough good things about him. Warbelows uses the Cessena Private Pilot Traing program by King's Schools. I liked that program, allowed me to work on the ground portion based on my schedule. Francie teaches the formal class room ground up at UAF, she also did my check ride.