Thread: cloths for alaska

Default cloths for alaska

i am comeing to anchorage area here in the middle of jan for a week long vist to buy the land and start getting the things ready to move there in may time frame
    beside long sleve shirts and t-shirts and jeans and the rest of the cloths that you would have
    want typle of jacket for the weather up there i was thinking of a cold weather parka hood jacket with a sweatshirt jacket under it along with a watch cap and gloves for moveing around in the outside looking at land areas
    i will doing a lot of driveing with to look at land for the home and was looking at keeping the sweatshirt jacket on in the car and useing the jacket when out in the cold ..
    any ideas would be help

where do you live now?

Default WHY

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i am comeing to anchorage area here in the middle of jan for a week long vist to buy the land and start getting the things ready to move there in may time frame
    beside long sleve shirts and t-shirts and jeans and the rest of the cloths that you would have
    want typle of jacket for the weather up there i was thinking of a cold weather parka hood jacket with a sweatshirt jacket under it along with a watch cap and gloves for moveing around in the outside looking at land areas
    i will doing a lot of driveing with to look at land for the home and was looking at keeping the sweatshirt jacket on in the car and useing the jacket when out in the cold ..
    any ideas would be help
    First you'll need some warm footwear, as you should be stomping around in a couple feet of snow(give or take); Maybe a set of cheap snowshoes from Mart-Mart.
    Second, what your going to see is land that is frozen and covered with a layer of snow. It's kind of like a lemon meringue pie, once the meringue is removed it could be chocolate. The snow could hide many problems, and will make travel over the property much harder.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Good point

Brav01 has a very good point. Very bad idea to buy land without watching it thaw out first. Look at it now and watch it through the seasons. See how the sun hits it in the summer. See if it floods in the fall. Doubtful someone will buy it before you do. Just keep an eye on it. These purchases take time to make. It's hard to do something like that in a week. It's a different story than picking out a lot in a sub-division. By chance live in California, do ya henry2?

i live in the northern part of the panhandle of texas area..
    i planed to look over diff parts of the land outside the anchorage area
    with diff agents showing the land area that i would like to see in there area
    my plan is to wear a set of heavy duty hikeing boots with boot socks for basic town wear
    and stop by a local wal-mart and pick up a pair of rubber knee boots to wear as need in walking about the land areas as need

Rubber knee boots aren't going to cut it. Depending on the hikers, they probably aren't going to cut it either. If this cold snap doesn't break you can expect subzero temps. Right now, north of Anchorage 100 miles it is -31F. You won't last long in those temps without a pair of pack boots or bunny boots. You are going to need snow pants, parka, the works..if these temps don't pick up.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Brrrrrrrr......

It's very brisk at the moment, Henry2. You will want to avoid having your toes turn black, fall off and roll around inside your Wal-Mart rubber boots. It's even a good idea to carry a sleeping bag, high energy snacks, extra gloves, hat, fire making stuff and extra blankets when driving into unfamiliar territory in case the car breaks down or gets stuck. Things break easy when it's this cold and engines don't like to start. This is the real deal......

My wife took the kids to town on Wednesday to catch a movie and have some fun...now that we no longer have to take the whole day buying groceries since we now have a local grocery store

In her car was a huge duffle with snowpants, parkas, gloves, hats, and bunny boots for our three kids and her. Even a 60 mile drive to the city can be dangerous if you are not prepared in these temps. It was -42F at Sheep Creek that day. At those temps a broken down car and a 1/2 hour wait for help can turn down right uncomfortable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

is there a place to buy the snow pants and jackets or do i order them for cabalas online store
    i plan on buying a pair of bunny boots down here in tx and takeing them up there with me when i move
    any other ideas about what to take with me or do i need to fedx overnight shipping and have them at the hotel when i get there

Wal-Mart, Freds, Sportsmans wharehouse, REI, Alaska Mountaineering, Eagle outfitters, etc, etc.

The cold is nothing to underestimate and we're moving into the cold month now.

Put a pair of rubber boots on and stand in a bucket of ice water for 1/2 hour and think how that compares to 50 degrees. Now imagine what it will be like 50 degrees colder than the ice bucket.

Messing about in the driveway my leather boots get stiff (and my toes cold) in about 1/2 hour.

Enjoy your visit.

geez guys don't scare him off lol we got up to -55 here at the house today. You can freeze just trying to bring fire wood lol..

Oh God, I love it here in the Banana Belt. I don't think it got below -20 today.

it gts cold here in the northern panhandle tx ..it does snow and ice storms here and there.with the wind chill factor its about 5.degree above zero right now..
    and yes my toes do get cold when i am outside in weather,,

What kind of land are you looking at? If you are going out with a realtor looking at some properties, I would think casual clothes would suffice. Polartec tops and bottoms, fleece mid layer top, winter coat, gloves/cap, some nice boots. If you plan on being out for extended periods of time, perhaps you hunt white tail in Texas. You may have some hunting clothes that will be warmer. If you want something more, buy something to take with you. Perhaps if you plan on hunting, you go ahead and buy that kick butt parka/pants you never could justify paying $400 for. If not, there are some other options. While living in Nome, my wife got a suit that goes on over your casual clothes. Pretty warm with appropriate underlayers, gloves, cap. Below is a link. Pretty cheap too. I would suggest looking at the land in Spring myself. But I am not a patient person either, so go for it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...862&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Man, I wouldn't buy land up here based solely on what you see in the winter. With the snow cover, you won't know if you're buying swampy wetlands that you couldn't possibly build on and that no one would want to buy from you when you try to get rid of it.

Good luck!

i am doing the basic looking around to get idea about the areas that iam want to live in for right now..then when i come back in may i will start with a realty agent with what i want in the land to buy..

i have talk to several realty agents about diff areas up there and they have sent me packets of the land areas that i was looking for..
    they seam to think it funny that i do not want on a lake or near ocean front areas..
    they keep trying to steer me told lake front areas and i have to keep telling them no lake fronts areas

iam takeing two duffle bags with me one for my cloths and one for my winter car cold weather survival kit with all the things that you guys have told me to get for keeping in the car..i plan on picking up the food part up there in anchorage area..

the winter car cold weather survival kit bag is going to be packed with snow suit along with boots and extra jacket and some other odd and ends for driveing up there..
    i bought a one piece snow suit for cabalas and some other cloths

danattherock thank you for the cabalas store info
    and to the other guys thank you for the info on the land

it just spent about $.2000.00 dollars at cabalas online store for my cloths
    for that trip and to get some updated cold weather gear anyway
    it was time to update the wardrobe anyway with new cloths for cold weather liveing ,...

Sounds like you've got a plan. Just know that you don't have to be anywhere near lakes or oceanfront here to have wetlands. Might look at topo maps of areas that you're interested in.

Default looking

And don't forget Google Earth as a resource.