Thread: tell me about 35 whelen

Default tell me about 35 whelen

anyone have any first hand knowledge of this cartridge? range, accuracy, animals? thanks adam

Adam,

I have never owned one or shot one, but I have a few friends that do. The 35 is a necked up 30-06'. It has a bit more energy then the standard 06' round (180 vs 200 grain) and ballistics are similar to the 06' out to 300 yards. My friends have killed whitetails to black bears. I would think that if an 06' will kill it so would the 35. Please keep in mind, bullet selection unless you hand load is not as good as the 06' for comparison.

Hope this helps.

Ron

The 35 Whelen has been my go to gun for a couple years now. Mine is a Ruger Model 77 Mk II. I use 250 gr. Kodiaks and IMR 4064. I have been completely satisfied with it. Most loading manuals will tell you that the 35 Whelen is suitable for all North American big game, and I would agree with that based on my own experience. I have killed moose and caribou with mine. One shot kills every time. I haven't killed any bears with it yet, simply because it seems like every time I see a bear I'm carrying my '06. I know there are a few others here on the forums that also hunt with a 35 Whelen, so I'm sure someone else will be able to add their own first hand experience to mine.

I love the whelen. I think I'm on my 4th one (I was stupid for the selling the others). All I have taken were blackbears with it. I havent felt undergunned whatsoever with it, especially loaded up with barnes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My brother had one. Pushed big bullets at moderate velocities. If you want to shoot light bullets at high velocities you'd be better off with an 06. If you want to crush something with a 250 grain bullet the 35 Whelen is a great gun.

what do you think of this gun in a remington 7600 for deer, bear, moose?

Default 35 whelen

I have probably had 10-12 whelens over the years.One of my favorite calibers,I have taken big yukon moose and black and grizzly bears with it.
    A 225gr accubond or partition pushed with RL15 will clear 2700fps and a 250gr with the same powder will do 2550-2600fps.It will shoot as flat as the 30/06 with 180gr bullets.The whelen is one on the best all around calibers for the north with minimal recoil.They have always shot very well for me,I'm a 35caliber guy though as I also enjoy the 350 rem mag and 358 win.

good luck

I'm a big .35 Whelen fan. Mine is a rebarreled stainless Ruger MKII with a Bevan King 1:14 barrel. It shoots under MOA with the Speer 250gr HC and GS. I settled on the 225gr TSX at 2700fps (also under MOA) as my got to load. It is my moose rifle. I've shot a smaller bull with it in 2007.

I really liked my 7600 35whelen. I had my smith cut the bbl to 18" and had the trigger group tweaked. The trigger sucks, I just dont like a shotgun trigger on a rifle. Threw a leupy 1.5x5 on it.

I knocked a bear over at about 210yards with that gun. I tried to buy it back after I came to my senses but the guy wasnt interested in parting with it.

Default 35 Whelen

The Whelen is a super cartridge , the best thing to do with the 06 case . It has a great history and was a favorite of Keith . I had a Ruger 77 , a Remington 700 and a 95 Winchester re-bored to 35 Whelen and they all shot well . The 7600 would be **** interesting in 35 Whelen , always wanted one and would be great for kicking things around in the brush . A great minimum for bears .

Default 35 whelen

Ordered mine. It will be here next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    anyone have any first hand knowledge of this cartridge? range, accuracy, animals? thanks adam
    The Whelen was around a whole lot of years before Remington "made it honest" by releasing a factory version. That's good, because now a whole lot more folks can get hold of it easily without going the custom route. Factory ammo also makes it possible for non-reloaders to own one.

Long and short of it, average American shooters have never been real wild about "medium" calibers without belts. If they wanted something bigger than 300 mags, they went to 338 or 375 mags. Gun writers always moan about it, but most of them jump the mediums too when spewing about their latest greatest hunt and new gear. There's nothing like sponsored writing to pimp new products, however much different it might be if the writers were laying down their own buxx for guns and hunts.

None of that takes away from the non-sexy,blue-collar, "getterdone" mediums in the field. They don't have to be as heavy as the big magnums for comfort, and they shoot flat enough for 95% of hunting shots. They've got ample power for large game in North America. There's just nothing snazzy about them, and it's awfully hard to build an ad campaign and sell magazines touting good-enough performance. There's got to be something SPECIAL to crow about and pump sales. The mediums come up on shooter radar every ten years or so, but a fad for them has never developed that was strong enough to make them a first choice for average hunters.

I throw the Whelen in a league with the 358 Winnie, 338 Federal, and 350 Rem Mag. And that's very good company. Choosing between them usually boils down to availability and personal choices in rifle features rather than any meaningful differences in the cartridges. I've owned half a dozen Whelens over the years, but let them go because the rifles themselves just haven't suited me as well as the rifles I owned at the same time in 358 Winchester. So far! The next Whelen to come along might be just right and stick with me for more than a few years.

Whichever model of rifle toots your whistle, that's the one to go with. I own 760's in three other calibers and love them. Frankly, the 35 Whelen that sticks with me might turn out to be a 7600 when I get a chance to try one. But then again, it might be a scoped (1.5x5 Leupold) left handed bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock, weatherproof finish and a light total weight of around 7.5 pounds. If I was building one right now, that's what it would be. But that might not happen if I try a 7600 first.

Default 35 whelen twist

little disapointed in the 1:16 twist in the rem and ruger rifles. Any old threads or info about shooting the 280 gr a-frame? Anybody have any real data on shooting this bullet? loads.. stability...

hey adam; are you related to ROCKY GIBBS? (the firearms genius)

jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hey adam; are you related to ROCKY GIBBS? (the firearms genius)

jh
    obviously not, if it dont know much about the 35 Whelen.

thanks for all the help guys. i went to go pick up the gun at the shop, and it was gone. i guess i will have to keep my eye out for one. thanks adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    obviously not, if it dont know much about the 35 Whelen.

thanks for all the help guys. i went to go pick up the gun at the shop, and it was gone. i guess i will have to keep my eye out for one. thanks adam
    hey adam; i wasn't pulling your leg! (maybe a little).......but check out the remington cdl which has a medium contour 24" barrel in the famous 35 whelen.

mine shot great groups, about 1.033 with heavy handloads. it's a nice rifle at a friendly price. good luck and

happy trails.
    jh

Adam, you might consider the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen. I bought one when they first became available in August. Mine is the All-Weather model. Very happy with it.

Jeff

i was considering a 7600 or a 750 because of quick shots in the thick deer woods, and then have the ability to use it for bear if needed. for some reason, i like the idea of a pump or semi in 35. i will take a look at the CDL and the hawkeye. thanks for the suggestions.

I have a 7600 with a VXIII 1.5-5 in 35 Whelen so far I have used it just for white tail deer. Its three for three bucks DRT with the 200gr corelokts which are fine for deer but the 225gr accubond or partition is better for say caribou/balck bear and the 250gr partitions for elk/moose.

If your just hunting MI for deer use the 200gr CLPSP and buy some Nosler Ammo for your bear/moose hunting in 250gr partitions.

I would prefer the 700 bolt in the whelen and might buy one some day so I would have both. Also get a good recoil pad the pump and semi has a plastic but plate and it can slide out when leaning it against a tree or cabin wall. I think pachmer and limbsaver make them. And a barrel band for the rifle sling to attach to from Mike's etc..

Default try one on a '03 Springfield

I just had another one put together on a old double heat 03 Springfiled action that I had laying around. The Whelen on a '03 Springfiled is a real classic for good reason. The double heat treat actions are very slick, feed well, have controlled feed, and are reliable enought to take to war. All real milled metal - no pot metal trigger guards, stamped extractors, or plastic parts to screw up.

I'll put one together on a Win. Mdl 70 someday - perhaps a stainless classic. I just can't get turned on to push feed guns for huntings things that I hunt with a .35 Whelen. Ruger MkIIs are push feed but they are just so rough in operation compared to other bolt actions.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK