Thread: Firearm's related fatalities of Police lowest in 50 years!

Default Firearm's related fatalities of Police lowest in 50 years!

The end of year reports are coming in and 2008 marks the lowest in Police Officer fatalities by firearms since 1956!!! There were 41 Police Officers killed by gunfire in 2008. A total of 140 Officers were killed in the line of duty last year, which is a decrease of 27% over 2007 and the lowest year total since 1965. About 30% of those fatalities were by firearm, which is considerably less than historical trends of over 50%. All good news for our Police Officers.

And this all happened in spite of the Assault Weapons Ban sunset and with both increased gun ownership and relaxing of concealed carry laws nation wide. Go figure.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

From the NRA.. http://www.nraila.org/issues/factshe...=206&issue=007

Less Violent Crime: Since 1991, the nationís total violent crime rate is down 38 percent. (Murder is down 43 percent; rape, 29 percent; robbery, 46 percent; and aggravated assault, 35 percent.) Violent crime dropped every year from 1991-2004, to a 30-year low; increased slightly in 2005 and 2006; and decreased to nearly the 2004 level in 2007. Every year since 2002, the violent crime rate has been lower than anytime since 1974. Every year since 1999, the murder rate has been lower than anytime since 1966. States with RTC laws, compared to the rest of the country, have lower violent crime rates on average: total violent crime by 24 percent, murder, 28 percent; robbery, 50 percent; and aggravated assault, 11 percent.5
    Mark up another good thing that happened while Bush was in office.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Over the next year or so, it will be interesting to see how stats get twisted to support more infringements on our various rights.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    ....Mark up another good thing that happened while Bush was in office.
    The Left will continue to besmirch the President's legacy for years, despite all the good things that have occurred, in order to continue to justify their lies.

The power of propaganda is amazing.

Default statistics

suprising that gun related deaths for young black males rose... funny how things work

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    The end of year reports are coming in and 2008 marks the lowest in Police Officer fatalities by firearms since 1956!!! There were 41 Police Officers killed by gunfire in 2008. A total of 140 Officers were killed in the line of duty last year, which is a decrease of 27% over 2007 and the lowest year total since 1965. About 30% of those fatalities were by firearm, which is considerably less than historical trends of over 50%. All good news for our Police Officers.

And this all happened in spite of the Assault Weapons Ban sunset and with both increased gun ownership and relaxing of concealed carry laws nation wide. Go figure.
    Dont start with fact and figures. Soon you will try that logic thing it wont work with the Libs. The Libs will never get it. An assault weapon ban again would acomplish what the first one did.. Nothing, ZERO. They banned Crack, Coke and Meth, made it a felony in many cases and still you can buy all you want. Gun bans just dont work. All they do is provide saftey for criminals who prey on law abiding citizens. You know it was funny, when my son and i were out west hunting where everyone has a loaded rifle in their truck, he looked at me and said '' I bet car jacking does happen here" as he pointed at a truck with two guns in the back window. He was right!

Thanks for posting the statistics Joat...I'll use them as I speak with those who advocate for additional gun restrictions. I expect to hear their voices much more often in the years to come. Unfortunately, I often don't get a chance to speak with them other than a few sentences. As kgpcr already stated, those who want further gun restrictions do not often argue their position from a logical point of view.

It almost always goes like this for me:

1. Someone tells me that they want to see all "assault weapons" banned.
    2. I eagerly and calmly respond by saying, "I would enjoy that discussion with you, but please define your use of the term "assault weapon" so that I can understand your position before responding."
    3. Invariably, they look at me dumb-founded, because at that moment it is clear they don't know (even though they use the term often).
    4. Usually at this point I pause for a couple of seconds, and then I respectfully say, "That's OK, get back with me with your definition because it's a really interesting and intelligent discussion of facts that I would enjoy having with you...I don't want to talk politics."

The whole thing lasts about 10 seconds...just don't take the bait to keep talking about it with someone who obviously wants to talk politics rather than facts. I really try to stay calm and respectful, although I have failed miserably in that effort a few times...mostly with my wife's sister-in-law after too many beers on my part.

More statistics for ya... Anchorage had a 52% reduction in murders last year. Shall carry anyone?

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/642113.html
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

...I do as often as possible.