Thread: 257 wby for sheep

Default 257 wby for sheep

anyone ever had experience with 257 wby mag on rams? wanted to use 100 gr tsx.

Let me just say that I consider sheep to be one of the easiest animals in AK to put down with a well placed shot. They are not, IMO, tough like a goat, caribou, bear or moose. I have no experience with the caliber in question, but I wouldn't worry too much. I do know that a 243 was adequate for my son when he was 12, as he took his first sheep with it. Where have all of the year gone since then, as he is now 42? We still hunt sheep, however.

I think it would make an outstanding sheep cal.
    My usual Sheep hunting buddy uses a 25-06, and its absolutely devastating. The 257 would be a fine choice, nice and light too!

Default My partner

uses a .257 weatherby. It is an awesome rifle! Using tsx's in it, you will be driving tacks and the sheep won't know what hit it! Would not hesitate to use it on most animals as it has some serious penetration. Again, use only top notch bullets like the tsx.

Talking .257 Trekking stick

Your flat shooting .257 Weatherby will kill any ram on earth that you shoot properly in the vitals. When shot in the correct place with any good projectile, dall rams fall over dead.

And your .257 weatherby will also serve you as an excellent walking stick or trekking pole.
    (Joke- Ya got to view the recent trekking pole thread.)

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default My perfect sheep caliber!

Here's a sheep my client shot with MY .257 wby. For me, it is the perfect long-range sheep cartridge for as far as I can confidently make a good hit. I use 115 gr. ballistic tips as they are .5 moa in my rifle. 100 tsx would be perfect as well, but they only shoot 1 moa in my rifle! ;-)

AND it makes a great walking stick! ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to beat the 257 weatherby, not many shoot flatter.
    Paul

Default Good shooter

I wouldn't hesitate using it. I shoot a 25-06 which is similar and I guess I'm just contributing to this thread because I've seen many times the damage a fast quarter bore will do. I also shoot Nosler Ballistic tips in 115 because they are most accurate.

If there is a fly in the ointment.......I'd be concerned about the bullets performance in wind at long ranges. I'm no ballistician but it just seems those little screamers can be fickle way down range. Like 400+