Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster suggestions

Default Holster suggestions

I'm looking to buy a shoulder or chest holster for my S&W 500 4" barrel for carrying during fishing and hiking, any suggestions?

you owe it to yourself to check david johnstons web on the guide' choice chest holster. it is the best! expert craftsmanship, best quality leather AND the design is so functional that you will wear it everywhere.

david made one for my smith .44 and i couldn't be happier! it wears inside or outside your coat so weather is not a problem. check it out.

**it's also listed as diamond d custom leather

happy trails.
    jh

i don't remember the name of it, but i got a cordura chest holster for my S&W .44 mag at Northern Security on Old Seward in Anchorage (not sure where your live). it was a 4" and the holster was 6", so i took it to that boot store on Old Seward (closer to the Dimond end), on the left as you head south. They sell lots of boots and also do boot work. they trimmed it down for me and made the holster shorter. it is great as there is no leather, so it dries quickly after sweating on it or getting it wet in rain, etc. I would check Northern Security out and see what they have. i got mine over 3 years ago.

i would also go with a chest holster if using it for fishing and hiking. it sits out of the way and a lot higher on your body versus a shoulder holster. i can sometimes wade pretty deep and i don't have to worry about burying my revolver in water.
    Last edited by hre814; 01-02-2009 at 08:47. Reason: extra info needed

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That'sa good way to put it. You OWE it to yourself.

I use a "Guide's Choice", for my Beeg 44.

Dave also makes a Bandolier holster. That might work pretty good too.

My wife has one. They're great for the ladies.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Talking Chest Holster

I have a black cordura chest holster and love it. It holds the gun very secure,yet you have quick and easy assess to the weapon. It lays very comfortably on your chest. I bought it at Sportsman Warehouse.

Default Alaska Sportsman holster

I like the chest holster made by these people....http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/Order.html

Talking Thats the one

Coaldust, that's the one I have and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    you owe it to yourself to check david johnstons web on the guide' choice chest holster. it is the best! expert craftsmanship, best quality leather AND the design is so functional that you will wear it everywhere.

david made one for my smith .44 and i couldn't be happier! it wears inside or outside your coat so weather is not a problem. check it out.

**it's also listed as diamond d custom leather

happy trails.
    jh

this is it!!

The Alaska Sportsman's Holster is the best choice for the big gun. I had one for my 500 for the first year up here. The 500 is gone as it was pretty darn heavy to pack around. Good luck!

This is the one I went with.....carries great with a backpack or fishing pack.

http://www.wwlholsters.com/chest-carry.asp

i just ordered a Simply Rugged holster for my Ruger ALaskan. I have heard nothing but good things about them and i also ordered the chesty puller strap so i can use it as a chest holster. this was i can hip or chest carry

Thumbs up

My brother just got a diamond d custom leather guide holster for his ruger alaskan and after trying it on I think it is what I want. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cohobones View Post
    My brother just got a diamond d custom leather guide holster for his ruger alaskan and after trying it on I think it is what I want. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    I think you'll be happy with it. That's what I own. I sold the Alaska Sportsman Holster I had before it.

Quote Originally Posted by cohobones View Post
    Diamond D does not have prices on their site. do you know what he paid for it?

I just bought a Grizzly Tough black nylon chest holster for my SRH 44. http://www.grizzlytuff.com/

I considered the ones the other folks have already mentioned and really like the looks of the Diamond D holster. However, I figured if it gets soaked on a trip it's gonna be tough to dry a leather Diamond D holster in a tent and I don't wanna carry my pistol for several days or a week in a wet holster. I figure the nylon ones will dry quicker. That Diamond D sures looks nice though...

Thumbs up guides choice

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I gave 140 at the palmer gun show, dave does exellent work, I soaked it with alcohol and it stretched to fit
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Just to say this about that

I really don’t want to offend anyone with my, not so humble, opinion, but by making comparisons, I hope to point out some important considerations in choosing a holster.

I am a big fan of Dave Johnston holsters. He makes leather holsters, not nylon bags, or pack sacks to carry handguns in.

After using his "Guides Choice", I wouldn't even consider one of those nylon canvas things with all the straps, loops and buckles. I don't want my gun flopping around inside, and wearing the bluing off, or having to undo a plastic fastener to get to it either.

That "Guides Choice", is easier to take on and off, than a belt around your waist, yet it holds the holster as tight as you like.

The gun is also tight inside the holster, and doesn't require a hammer loop or strap to hold it in there, so you don't use either, when you're wearing it. It's comfortable to carry and quickly accessible when you need it in your hand. Just grab it and yank it out.

The only thing I did with mine except to just use it, was fiddle with the Tension Screw, which was really unnecessary.

The Nylon-Canvas things are cheaper, and possibly more water proof, but I doubt it. When it's rainy, like it is so often here in the Greatland, I wear my Guide’s Choice, under my rain jacket, with the front partially unzipped.

To my way of thinking, choosing a holster that holds your gun securely, yet also makes it quickly and easily accessible is at least as important as which cartridge you choose.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post

david put cartridge loops on my rig, and the total was about $155.00. i suggest you call him with your questions and requirements, then get the information from him.
    907-688-0366 907-223-4755

happy trails.
    jh

Great point Smitty of the North. I had my mind set on the Dave Johnston holster then I saw this http://www.wwlholsters.com/video/video01.asp
    and now im not shore what to do, that looks like a comfy versatile holster I guess I'll just have to think about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    david put cartridge loops on my rig, and the total was about $155.00. i suggest you call him with your questions and requirements, then get the information from him.
    907-688-0366 907-223-4755

happy trails.
    jh
    Got a S&W .44 that I need a new holster for. Have seen multiple threads on this, discussed it with my bro and we are thinking of going with David's holster. Do you mind posting some pics of yours with your rig in it and pictures of the cartridge loops?

How do these holsters wear in regards to bowhunting? I wear my .44 whenever I bowhunt (just in case I cant get a shot off with the bow, but could dispatch something at close range with the pistol) and am wondering if it might be in the way of drawing the bow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast