Thread: maclaren to tyone

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default maclaren to tyone

i believe this topic has been covered but i dont think anyone will mind if i bring it up again. i plan on hunting next year out of a 17 foot osagian with probably an 8 horse 4 stroke. motor lift, spray skirt, and tiller extension are on the list for upgrades. i have been thinking about hunting back in the tyone area and tonight the maclaren came to mind. ive heard that the maclaren is good hunting but shallow and basically "airboat country". with the will and probably not too much extra effort im sure the maclaren can be done in the setup i described above but getting back up with a heavy load or the same load i left with im not so sure. the other option would be to get dropped off at the maclaren and float/motor into the big su and cut off at the tyone and arrange to be picked up at lake louise. i havent done any research on this trip as of yet so any comment will come to be usefull. what do you think would be the most logical trip?

Default tyone <-> lake louise

I've been on the tyone <-> lake louise leg of that and its great- its about 25 miles. Also there are some nice camping islands on susitna lake on the way; I could send you gps coordinates if you're interested.

Turn off your motor and listen before going through both of the lake-to-lake channels; the big boats come through there on step and cookin'.

And watch lake louise's weather, especially afternoon weather. getting back to the launch can get a little wet going against 3+ foot waves and wind for 10-12 miles.

Default Trip

it can be dun, you will need a lift on your canoe as the tyone is very shallow in a lot off places, don't miss the Tyone cut off the Big SUE as you will be in deep "DO DO" if you do, on the trip there is a couple of spots on the Maclen river that are bad, the set of rips betow the High way a few miles can give you trouble, the Tyone can give you some trouble low water, you will have to pull the canoe by hand a few spots, [depends on water level] an don't miss the Tyone River Tyone Creek juction as at that spot the creek looks a lot bigger an you could miss it [use map an GPS] few Moose, an a lot of BOO, get to know your canoe befor you go, in Anchorage use 20 MILE river, Little Willow creek, LITTLE SUE, go up from Burmer RD. to train on, it will help, go with a partner with his canoe [2 canoes] the frist couple of times in training use all 3 streams each is a little different
    PS HAVE A GOOD TRIP AN A SAFE TRIP
    MY 2 CTS
    SID

this morning when i woke up i thought about if i got a moose early on the maclaren and if i was able to fit everything in the boat for the trip out, what conditions the big su would have to offer as well as the mouth of the maclaren. im starting to think that leaving form lake louise and going up the su a ways if i need to would be the best option. even go up the maclaren if need be and it was possible. not sure if making the vehicle arrangements for drop off and pick up is worth it.

Default Trip

it is due able ,the problems will be coming up tyone rive, [ lack of water ]
    Maclaren is a pice of cake going up from the Big Sue still need a good lift for you canoe will help a great deal, if money is a problem you can raze the transom up to a point where the Cav. plate is even with the bottom of canoe it will work for you not as good as a lift but it will work you, will have to pull a lot more by hand as the scage bottom will by about 12 inchs below the bottom off canoe [that is a lot] if you don't use something to bring the motor up you will use props up real fast, A lot faster than with one,
    you will still will use up the props no matter what you do [$100 each],
    going up the Big sue from the Maclaren is good a lot of thin water have to look around an find the channel an even at that, you will have to pull by hand even with a lift
    Sid

so it sounds like the least amount of portaging would be to launch at the maclaren and return to the same launch site. where do most the airboats go on the maclaren? is there fishing available from the maclaren to the big su? i generally like to combine fishing and hunting so i dont have to pack so many groceries. sounds like lots of options in this area.

Default You bet on questions

the AIR boats go in at Big Sue an go down the Big Sue from the DENALI HWY, an up the Maclaren they don't go down the Maclaren [none I know of ] an I don't know of any that go down the Maclaren an back up it [canoes] there is fishing at all clear water streams that go into the dirty Rivers, LINGCOD, GRAYLING, WHITEFISH, MOSTLEY, the reason is probley better places to go with the AIR BOATS there was some cabins at the BIG SUE AN Maclaren the last time I was there
    I don't think you will portage no matter what way you go, I would go up the Maclarem but think twice before going down it the frist time
    make a summer time trip an scope out where you want to go don't re lie on some one else to do your leg work for you
    if you want a hunting trip you can enjoy

dont worry sid if things werent just as you described i wouldnt hold it against you . i am only trying to get an idea and give us something to talk about during these slow months. ive been across and into the tyone a ways and seen guys coming out of there so im sure i can handle whatever the tyone has to offer and if not i know when to turn around. the mclaren however i have never dinkered with so thats why all the questions from me. ill be going one of these routes come fall if all my cards fall into place im just trying to find out which one would be best for me. i do appreciate your suggestions and you show wisdom by suggesting that i go up the maclaren before i go down. thats good info.

So going down the Big Su then up the Mclaren worked out or didn't? I'd love to do that loop myself.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I have snowmachined the Maclaren-Su-Tyone-Lake Louise route. About 12 miles downstream of the Denali Hwy bridge is the "canyon" section. It's about 4 miles of boulder garden that look like they'd make for substantial rapids at summer flows. Based on my winter trip I have considered running the route again in my 14' Aire Traveler (HD inflatable canoe-yak).

An experienced whitewater canoist could do it but be prepared to line your boat in some sections
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today