Thread: Sportjet winter mooring

Default Sportjet winter mooring

Hello, found this forum....great stuff and an awesome resource. I appreciate all of the info. Quick question......I have an aluminum jet boat with a 200 opti sportjet and I have the boat moored on the river in front of my house. The temps at night have been around 12-15 F with daytime highs in the low 30s.

Should I be concerned with leaving my boat in the water for extended periods of time in the cold weather? I am worried about the block freezing/cracking.

thanks in advance for any input

Thumbs up Good question

Being a single digit boater I have had the same concerns about the above water cooling parts.
    I just found this valve yesterday and it is exactly what I thought I needed.
    It can pull in raw water or hose water or no water. If you turn it to the hose water and plumbed in a bucket of anti-freeze, then you could winterize your boat without pulling it out of the water. My boat will have one next winter.
    I always pull a hose off of the out-drive and it is a pain in the buttal area, especially when it is 4 degrees.
    With this valve I could have the hose left on permanently and shove a large funnel in the end, turn valve, start motor and dump anti-freeze in. Sweet, no more head stands and busted knuckles.

http://www.forespar.com/newProducts/FlushOutRelease.pdf

I don't see it in the catalogue yet, it is a new release.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default sportjet

liners,
    I too have the sportjet. I take it you're still running the river which is why you are keeping it moored or you'd just pull it out of the water? I do not think you'll hurt the motor by leaving it in the water, other than being aware of letting it sit and getting water in the fuel. I think a bigger concern would be snow/rain accumulation, getting down in transom/boat and freezing. If it built up enough I could see it freezing around the base of the motor or lines down though and causing problems, not to mention the weight issues it would cause. If you are right there to watch and take care of it probably not as big a deal though either. I think you'd be fine if keeping a close eye on it, I wouldn't want to leave it unattended for any long duration though. Can always talk to your dealer and get their opinion as well. Typically people who leave their boats in water up here or are running in cold weather leave their outboards down as the water temp is warmer than the outside air temp to keep their lower units from freezing up. Since we've got the sportjets that's obviously moot.
    Not sure what bullbuster is talking about, must be something to do with inboard v-8's as we don't have to drain anything for winterization. I fog mine, treat the gas and good to go. If you talk to your dealer let me know what they say just out of curiosity. Take it easy.
    Cody

Might be I am mistaken. I thought the Sport Jet was an outboard power head setup on an inboard assembly. No way to drain the power head.
    If it is just an outboard, then I withdraw my offer of information. You are correct, I was refering to running an inboard motor.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default thanks

Cody and Bull,

thanks for the replies.......i do use the boat quite often but sometimes it sits for a week. We dont get as much snow/ice as you guys get down here in New Jersey but i do try to keep the snow we get cleared off. I used to have an outboard and i did exactly what you suggested by trimming it down in the water during cold spells....I completely forgot about that and I feel better now about keeping it in the water.....i was just worried that some water may not be able to drain out because the boat remains in the water but i guess thats not an issue with the sport jet as opposed to a regular inboard. Bull--that valve is a great find for an inboard in our situation.

I was also slightly concerned about the bolts/washers attaching the UHMW expanding and contracting....possibly causing leaks but i am pretty confident in the builder/dealer's workmanship and the hull is pretty thick.

Cody---are you running the stock impeller? i was think about switching to the high skew.....heard anything good or bad about them?

thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff,
    I am running stock and haven't felt the need to change, boat does exceptionally well light or under HEAVY load. I do have bennett trim tabs on it though which help a great deal. I'm actually considering selling it though only because I am going almost 99% of the time in the saltwater anymore, like I say the trim tabs help a lot but the sportsman just isn't the ideal hull for the salt. Love the boat, and it's held a bunch of big 'buts and ton of shrimp in her but need something with more of a deadrise, well and a true outboard lol. The power and efficiency for an inboard jet I still believe is second to none, I wouldn't want any other jet on the market.
    Cody

picture is missing one other nice 'but, about 70-80lbs, I'm pointing telling my buddy's son to hoist him up on the hook because I didn't want to lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went to the Hi-skew on my 200 opti SportJon. Improved holeshot and ability to get a load up on step in a big way. I guess you lose a few mph, but I haven't noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Being a single digit boater I have had the same concerns about the above water cooling parts.
    I just found this valve yesterday and it is exactly what I thought I needed.
    It can pull in raw water or hose water or no water. If you turn it to the hose water and plumbed in a bucket of anti-freeze, then you could winterize your boat without pulling it out of the water. My boat will have one next winter.
    I always pull a hose off of the out-drive and it is a pain in the buttal area, especially when it is 4 degrees.
    With this valve I could have the hose left on permanently and shove a large funnel in the end, turn valve, start motor and dump anti-freeze in. Sweet, no more head stands and busted knuckles.

http://www.forespar.com/newProducts/FlushOutRelease.pdf

I don't see it in the catalogue yet, it is a new release.
    With 2 ball valves a tee fitting a couple more fittings and some hose you can rig up the same thing plus this setup can double as a emerency bilge pump as long as your motor runs.
    pumprig.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm far from an expert on anything but I have learned a few things the hard way running the same motor you have...

15 degrees is plenty cold enough to start giving you troubles

the motor is 'supposed' to be self draining...if that drains properly, you shouldn't have an issue with your block...there is a drain hole under the motor that can easily get clogged with small rocks and sand...that happened to mine...I drilled the drain hole out larger on mine...I don't think that the hole has anything to do with the way the motors drain themselves but I had a nice slab of ice under the motor above this hole...

Frozen hoses seemed to give me more grief than anything...I had several hoses freeze , perhaps because the drain hole was clogged, I don't know...but thank goodness for the smart craft gauge, because it only took a few minutes of idling to reach 180 deg...I pulled the hoses that connect the motor to the expansion chamber and thawed them on my truck defroster...

If you have a heater, be sure to drain those hoses when you park..if they freeze up you'll prevent the fresh water from cycling also causing you to overheat very quickly...

If you run a sand trap/particulate filter, be sure to drain that as well...if that freezes you'll have the same result....

Basically, your motor sucks up water, runs it through the motor, sand trap, heater, etc...if you get a blockage in that loop, you'll overheat...if you let the boat idle for a few minutes and the temps aren't climbing fast, then you should be fine...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....