Thread: water tips

Question water tips

Ok folks how about sharing water tips creek river big water holes like looking at the thread see thoose machines the guy wheeling through the water hole i cant do that let alone with the wife on her machine so what are some things to know with a standard machine fro dealing with water
    because i am pretty sure cats can't swim which i am proof of
    hehehehe

Well, crossing creeks or rivers you should all ways cross in a angle down river, when crossing deep water holes, ease into them and keep steady throttle. When you get stuck, winch out.

This is BigHineR, he managed to NOT make it through this little puddle lol, ok my 6x6 was floating so not so little. Yes, I came back through it and saved him. I will admit though, his seal on the belt drive was not sealing well, we had to wait for 5 minutes to drain the belt drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or just get you one of these
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Well, crossing creeks or rivers you should all ways cross in a angle down river, when crossing deep water holes, ease into them and keep steady throttle. When you get stuck, winch out.

This is BigHineR, he managed to NOT make it through this little puddle lol, ok my 6x6 was floating so not so little. Yes, I came back through it and saved him. I will admit though, his seal on the belt drive was not sealing well, we had to wait for 5 minutes to drain the belt drive.
    The next time I went out there (Eureka), I made it all the way through that "puddle" that was up to the headlights. Make sure everything is sealed up tight, keep 'er upright and stay steady on the throttle. You're gonna start paying copyright fees Dog. or we could just take it off my rescue tab with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    You're gonna start paying copyright fees Dog. or we could just take it off my rescue tab with you.
    HA!!!!!!!!!!!! The rescue tab is mighty long for that one, O' yeah and "pulling you across nelchina" and O' yeah......... LMAO, The list is long my friend.....

With a list that long you'll never make any money on copyright fee's!

Default So

The best answer i see is have buddy to give you s&*t for a long time cause he did what you can't

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    HA!!!!!!!!!!!! The rescue tab is mighty long for that one, O' yeah and "pulling you across nelchina" and O' yeah......... LMAO, The list is long my friend.....

With a list that long you'll never make any money on copyright fee's!
    That was all in the same day, so it's all on the same tab.

Thumbs up River/creek/stream crossing

Before I cross any creek or river that looks to be deep, I get off my machine and try to find the shallowest spot to cross. I always wear waders when I ride so I'm able to cross without getting wet. Also, when crossing, go at an angle if you can, if you can't, the try keeping the machine pointed slightly up current and go slow and steady. That's how I cross river and creeks and I have yet to drown it out. Maybe i'm not trying hard enough??

Default Wife in deep water

Hey Happy you mean to tell us that you can't get your wife in deep water while shes about 5 months pregnent (see pic) the best part was I was never in "deep water" since I walked out and carried her to dry land with out getting her feet wet.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

My best advice is to stay the hell out of the water…………. Your ATV is not a BOAT.

My second best advice is that when you ignore my best advice, at least make sure the water is neither too deep nor moving to fast. When your ATV sinks and is washed 2 miles down stream you will know it was both too deep and too swift.

My third best advice is to always bring along a buddy who is dumber that you are to “break trail” and let him cross all the water obstacles first. That way you will be able to tell when the water is too deep or too swift without getting wet!

Ok………. Seriously, my rule of thumb is this: If I can walk across easily in my hip boots without worrying about getting swept down stream or filling the waders then I am good to go. I drive an 06 KQ 700 and the belt drive and airbox intakes are higher than the tops of my waders by a good 6 inches. If I can maintain forward momentum with a good rocky bottom the ATV will actually make a wake pushing water away from the two intakes. Keep in mind that ATV’s are actually more buoyant that you would expect and have a lot of side area for current to push against and plan your river crossings accordingly. It does not take much current to push them down stream and I often find myself kind of “crabbing” across with the front end pointed up stream. If your pulling a trailer the effect is even more pronounced. And what ever you do, don’t get a “water tight” meat trailer. They float and will drag you down stream with them. Not good!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio