Thread: Polymer 9mm?

Default Polymer 9mm?

I'm looking to purchase a polymer 9mm in the near future. The two models I'm considering are the S&W M&P and the Springfield XD(M).

Does anyone have any practical experience either or both of these two pistols? Without having access to a range that lets you rent pistols or friends that have them, it can be a costly experiment to see which one you like.

Thanks for the help!

i've shot the XD-M and held the M&P. I liked the XD-M, didn't shoot a whole lot of rounds through it though. the M&P always gets very good reviews. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. northern security in town carries a bunch of M&Ps. they feel good in he hand. it also comes with interchangeable back straps, which some folks have said benefits them. how about the regular XD series? i liked the one i had in .40, but sold it b/c on recoil a tiny little overhang kept rubbing my proximal thumb knuckle raw. i'm sure someone will chime in with the glock suggestion.

I've got a 9mm Glock, and I'm not a big fan. I bought it because it is reliable, but it doesn't point as well, or feel as good in my hand, as the XD does. I'd go with the XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    I've got a 9mm Glock, and I'm not a big fan. I bought it because it is reliable, but it doesn't point as well, or feel as good in my hand, as the XD does. I'd go with the XD.

Gotta go with Rug. on this one. I have a G19, but I honestly prefer the XD9 for how well it points/feels.

That being said, I still prefer a .45

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default .45

I've got a Glock 21, so I want a 9mm know. Cheaper to shoot. I had an XD40 and sold it, and I like the way the XD(M) feels, but like I said without access to a range that lets you rent pistols, it's an expensive way to see if you like a pistol or not.

Default M&P for me

I had a hard time picking between the M&P and XD M. One day I talked two friends, one with a M&P 45, the other with an XD-M 40 into some range time and I shot a box of each. Now I really couldn't decide. Both were better than I had hoped.

Now I'm an old wheel gun hand so going semi was something I couldn't take lightly, I wanted/needed something I could sell the wife on should she ever find it in my safe. ( she did) I also wanted enough knock down power in the event I ever need to stop some drug crazed street maggot breaking into my house. Of course I could use one of my .44's for this but.

I picked an M&P 40. Partly due to all the good reviews and partly due to the "included" interchangeable grips that I know will fit the wifes hand when she's ready to shoot it. I was amazed how easily you can change the inserts. Then too I can't see open sights worth beans lately and have used Crimson Trace laser sights on a S&W 642 snub with good results. I purchased a CT laser for the M&P and it fit like a glove, very close in size to the medium S&P insert.
    I also like simplicity, as in less is more, I ordered my M&P without internal lock or Mag safety, I'm not sure the XD has that option and it does have the palm safety bar. Too much for me.

It's amazing how fast a box of fun goes when you don't have to reload after every 5 or 6 shots. But I still can't get myself to load all 15 in the mag just yet.

You won't go wrong with either pistol, Good luck

I just picked up this FNH FNP9mm and I like it alot. Have not shot either of the two mentioned in the orignal post. Here is the link so you can check it out.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?i...ector=5&detail=

Default polymer pistol

owned and carried and shot many Glocks, have shot and carried the 9mm xd and shot the 45xd.
    My duty weapon is the M&P in 40.
    I no longer own Glocks, compact and full size.
    My personal preference for carry , accuracy, safety, all points including price, the XD, then the M&P, then the Glock.
    Accuracy, the M&P appears to be the most 'pointable' (is that a real word?) I point I hit, the XD and all the safety features really endears me to the pistol.
    For example, traveled down to Florida to visit a friend, there was a 'tactical' range instructor blazing away with his xd 45 standard.
    He asked if I wanted to shoot, I enthusiastically said yes. Full magazine, 10 yard target, he asked me to just shoot the full mag, full mag, no pause but basically dumped the ammo at the target, aggressive weaver stance, all rounds inside three inches no problem, it was awesome.
    The Glock, it is light, well made, one safety feature, ( have known too many a.d's to occur , had an empty chamber a.d for myself, cocked, empty chamber, winter clothing inadvertently inside trigger guard when holstering, very sick feeling to feel and hear ;click.)
    Am Very Happy with my duty weapon, a used police trade in sig 220 or 229 would cost a couple of hundred less than a new Polymer,
    I carry off duty, the xd, and the Sigs, very comfortable with any. Check the weights of the XD M&P and Sig 220, you will be surprised.
    All I can say is, a used Sig is cheaper than a new Polymer, double action, a used Glock or XD can be had for about the same price as the used Sig.

Default Both are good choices

I've heard great things about the M&P, haven't shot one though, the last Smith autopistol I shot was the first gen. Sigma .40 and I hated it, the trigger was horrible. I have a Glock 17 full size and a Glock 26 Sub-compact, both have been utterly reliable and as accurate as I can hold. I had an XD in .45, It pointed more naturally than the Glocks for me, it was just as accurate and I really liked the trigger, but I had problems with the slide locking open with two rounds still in the magazine and I sold it. I have a Glock 30 that has digested over 2000 rounds without a hiccup, and believe me, I've TRIED to make it malfunction, it just keeps chugging.

Get this, I used to HATE Glocks, nothing but 1911s and revolvers would do for me. Until I started to shoot my friends' Glocks, once I got used to the trigger I was amazed at the accuracy, and simple reliability of those ugly pistols, I've been sold on them ever since that first Glock 30. I'm now thinking of trading my 30 in for the new short-frame model, but I hate to part with a gun that has treated me so well.

Truth be told, you can't go wrong with any of the pistols mentioned in this thread, I'd buy whatever felt the best in my hands if I were you. Just curious, is there a reason you're not considering the Glock 17?

Best of luck with whatever you pick!

Jay

Default Good Question

Jay,

I own a Glock 21 and love it, I don't know why I haven't considered a Glock 9mm. I'll have to do some more research.

I don't own a 9mm, but I do have a Glock 23 and 20, a Smith and Wesson M&P .45, and a XD 45. It's a toss up which fits my hand better between the XD and the M&P. The Glock 23 fits my hand fairly well, but it's not as pointable as the XD or M&P.

I don't think you can make a bad choice here. Any of these will be a great 9mm. pick them up, fondle them a little. If you get a chance, shoot some of them. Pick the one that you shoot best.

Default Will never own another Glock

I have had a 17 Glock brake apart at the ejection port on the slide and will never again trust one. Glocks are the worst pointing gun I have ever had in my hand.

I have an XD.40 Compact that is an ok shooter and fair to conceal. I own several Sigs and to me, the ultimate carry gun is the P228 and then the P6. The sig P6/225, 220,226,229 in a da/sa action, are one of the finest pistols a man can own and I have at least one of each. Sigs Aluminum alloy frames are about the same in weight as the polymer framed models out their and they will still be punching tight groups thousands of rounds after the plastic stuff has been retired for safety.

I would also add that a Colt, Springfield or custom 1911-A1 is a tough gun to not have in your collection....Big