Thread: When to Fish Kenai Penin May/June??

Default When to Fish Kenai Penin May/June??

Hi,
    I've fished the Kenai Peninsula in late June and July and want to try something a little different this year. I would like to fish a 10 day period between the middle of May and the middle of June. My goal is to catch Kings and Halibut. I love to eat the fish as well as catch them, so I'm looking to put something in the freezer. I am willing to fish from the bank or get a charter. I am thinking Deep Creek and Kenai/Kasilof but not limited to those. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for dates and/or charters/guides that you might have.

Thanks in Advance

Default may fishing

You have chosen a challenging endeavor but doable nonetheless.

First of all, the Kenai water is very low and slow in May with daily counts being very low. The water is cold, in the mid 40's and the fish are very tight lipped. But, the pressure is very low, the expeirence is incredible. A person can find success in May and early June but you have to definitely work for it.

The Kasilof on the other hand should be doing very well durin that time. The fish are small, but the limit is 2 per day (both hatchery, except for Tue, Thur, and Sat where one of the two can be native)

what I would recommend is a salmon/halibut combo out of Deep Creek. The saltwater trolling should be going really good in that window and the halibut should be just turning on.

So, if you are looking for a very relaxing and pleasant Kenai experience with a chance of catching... that would work well. If you are looking for meat, go with a Kasilof drift trip or do the combo out of Deep Creek.

Oh, by the way, check the regulations/dates for the Ninilchik/Anchor/Deep Creek chinook fishing.... this is a DIY bank fishery.

Cheers

Someone is running a buy one get one free out of Ninilchik for halibut May to mid June. You can find it on Alaska Craigslist boats. If you will be there after memorial day, you can fish the Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik River for kings on weekends. Before memorial day weekend, you will have to fish the Kasilof. The Kenai fishery is a tough go during May but can be done. The offshore fishery is always challenging in May because of rough weather. I've spent many days hunkered down in Whiskey Gulch waiting for the wind to die so that I could beach launch.

I went on the Kasilof last week of May last year. Got skunked. I did not see any fish hooked. From the guide's comments, we were a week or two early. This was only the second time I had tried, the other in early June on the Kenai 3 years ago. Both had the same results. I would do some research and contact some of the guides before booking a king trip in May.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default June

I had a cousin and his best friend come up last June and had a blast and caught more fish than they ever expected. They fished the Russian for reds, both caught kings on the Kenai and Anchor Rivers. They also stayed at a cabin in Ninilchik and fished three days in the Inlet and caught kings and halibut till they were tired. The got to Soldotna on the 11th of June and left the 22nd. They fished every day but one and still missed out on some rainbow fishing and never touched the Kasilof river, though the Kasilof was hit and miss last year from what I saw. I really think you can have a great time in June. Some of the guides here on AOD are very reputable and from what I have seen have some decent rates for lodging and fishing in June. June is my favorite time to fish around here.

What time in June?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I used to routinely make a trek to the KP the third week of June.

The itinerary would typically go something like this.

Fly into ANC, grab the rental RV and drive all the way south to fish either the Homer Lagoon or Anchor/Deep Cr/Ninilichik depending on which areas were producing and/or open. The Anchor was usually open the longest... sometimes Deep Creek would get an extra weekend opener, and Ninilchik now routinely goes into July for hatchery fish. While there, we would try to work in a day of halibut fishing.

From there we would just work our way back north.

Next stop would be the Kasilof.... usually just past peak, but if you're willing to tolerate releasing some darkies, action can be very good.

Next stop would be a day or two (or three depending on the action/conditions) on the Kenai for kings. You are at the mercy of the Killey that time of year as the Kenai typically suffers a mid-June dump. Seen it happen as early as June 11 and as late as June 23... and it can take the river out for as short as 4 days or for the rest of the month. Even in turbid conditions, fish can be caught, but expect to expend lots of rod-hrs to git'er dun! But with the latest regs for allowing bait at the lowest end of the escapement goal, it's almost an expectation that bait will be legal by mid-June. Just to give you an idea of how good or bad it can be, my all-time best June day was 17 fish with bait back in 1999 . My all-time worst June trip was immediately after a Killey dump in 2001 with no bait... averaged 38 rod hours to put each of three kings to the boat in three days fishing .

Next stop would be the Russian for the peak of early run reds (or just shy of it). This would usually coincide with the day or two leading up to Father's Day. Let's just say the Russian is lights out during that time frame.

If we were feeling extra adventurous (and still had the energy) we would make one final suicide run up to one of the east-side Susitna tribs for the midnight king opener. Crazy yeah? But it sure made for a full week of non-stop fishing.... and full ice chests to boot!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Crowr,

I work for a very nice lodge in Ninilchik that does six pack king/halibut combos that time of year. While our lodge guests get first priority, we do book day trippers as well. PM me for contact info, if you like.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Your Kasilof first-run peak normally falls right around the middle to end of the first week of June ... one year it'll be the 2nd, the next the 6th or 7th ... but usually pretty close.

You should be safe for decent activity for 7-10 days on the front, and about 10-12 days on the backside.

Most of the combos will finish up around the 1st of June in a normal year ... but sometimes (such as last year), the fishing remains good enough that the Capts. will keep at it for a few more days. Normally, we set our cut-off for the Deep Creek combos on the June 1 date.

Both rivers actually fished quite well last June ... the Kenai, perhaps the best it has in many moons.

Kasilof can be hit/miss in late may or very early june.... really didn't start fishing real well last year until the 5th or so, and peaked around the 10th. The Kenai fished pretty well all the way through June, but once again, it can be hit/miss during the first run. Saltwater salmon is usually best around mid/late may, and slows considerably once june rolls around. Halibut are always there to be had between May-Sept.
    Some other things to consider - do you want to fish sockeye? do you want to fish trout? if so, come during late june when the first run of sockeye show up and trout season opens as well.
    each time of year has its benefits and drawbacks, and nothing is guaranteed, but if you know exactly what you're wanting to do/catch, you can narrow it down quite a bit and give yourself good odds.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Peak fish runs for Kenai Peninsula Salmon

Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Peak fish runs for Kenai Peninsula Salmon

The chart for Deep Creek is a 13 year average, but as Bob Ball said this year the fish were late and it fished good into June, but we did get our Biggest on May 13th (47 lbs) Go Figure!!
    http://www.wildroselodge.com/Peakfishruns.html
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com