View Poll Results: Depending on the situation, what weapons would you prefer to carry on a trip?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Large-caliber revolver (.357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, etc.)

32 36.36%
  • Small-caliber revolver (.22 LR, .22 WMR [Winchester Magnum Rimfire], .32 S&W Long, etc.)

3 3.41%
  • Large-caliber semi-automatic pistol (10mm Auto, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm Luger, etc.)

9 10.23%
  • Small-caliber semi-automatic pistol (.380 Auto, .32 ACP, .25 ACP, .22 LR, etc.)

2 2.27%
  • Large-caliber rifle [.30 caliber and above] with a manual action (lever, pump, bolt, etc.)

61 69.32%
  • Large-caliber rifle [.30 caliber and above] (.30-06 Springfield, etc.) with a semi-auto action

6 6.82%
  • Small-caliber rifle [less than a .30 caliber] with a manual action (bolt, lever, pump, etc.)

4 4.55%
  • Small-caliber rifle [less than a .30 caliber] with a semi-auto action

1 1.14%
  • Shotgun of any gauge (.410, 20, 16, 12, 10 gauge) and any action type

12 13.64%
  • Crossbow, Black-powder pistol/rifle/shotgun, compound/recurve bow, or any other weapon

10 11.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Greetings! A new member here with a poll question...

Default Greetings! A new member here with a poll question...

For more information about myself (if you'd like to read it, that is), check out the Introductions forum.

In short, I am a long-time young Alaskan with a passion for hunting and target shooting. As such, I'd like to get a few opinions from everyone on here about what you folks like to carry in your excursions. Bear in mind that the poll question is meant in the context of a practical weight limit for the choices that you would make. That is, even though you can make multiple answers in the poll, choose the answers that make sense (i.e., how many of us could carry three rifles, a shotgun, and four pistols practically?...although I know a few folks who would try...). Also, feel free to elaborate on your answers with some added text in your post explaining your choices.

Thanks for viewing! And I hope to post more soon!

Sincerely,

alaskajag

Default New member

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll spend many hours browsing and find lots of useful info. happy New Year.

Default My choices...

I personally voted for four choices: a large-caliber revolver, a small-caliber semi-auto pistol, a large-caliber rifle, and a shotgun (12 gauge, pump-action). The two pistols are easy to carry (especially the .22 LR pocket pistol that I tote in my cargo pockets for small game), and the long arms are easy to switch off from depending on what I am doing (for brush hunting and alder thickets, the mighty 12 gauge is perfect, while for long range shots the rifle is much more suited to the task). All of these firearms normally accompany me in my vehicle when I am outdoors, although if I am just doing a day trip, such as a hike, where a long-range weapon is not a necessity, the rifle stays home and just the shotgun and pistols accompany me (or just the pistols, if concealment/ease of carry is the primary factor being considered).

What are your thoughts? Feel free to elaborate!!!

Later!

alaskajag

Well dang, I didn't see the bow option until after I voted .30 caliber...

Circumstances dictate need for me.

I chose one pistol and one rifle.

Wish you had a category for 12 guage alone... I'd have chosen that too.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Always carry my .44 mag 329pd and will take whatever rifle the hunt dictates. I really like my Tikka T3 7mm mag with leupy scope.

Arghh...this is one of those polls that goes nowhere, but I still have an opinion

When I hunt I carry the appropriate firearm for the occasion.

Anything larger than a Sitka Blacktail deer I carry my 30-06 bolt.
    for wolves and coyotes it's my 22-250 bolt.
    smaller than that it's my .22LR bolt.
    for birds it's a .22LR or 12 ga.
    bear protection alone...12ga w/slugs.

I only carry handguns for bad humans and I can't remember the last time I've carried a handgun into the woods.

I will, on occasion, carry a 45-70 lever action for big game.

When I bowhunt I don't carry a sidearm at all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default resoning

i chose the "large caliber" semi auto for protection from the species with two legs.
    i always carry the .44 pistol with me while in the woods for my own warm and fuzzy feeling, that and the wife would holler it was a waste of money if i didn't!
    as far as long gun it all depends on what i'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    When I hunt I carry the appropriate firearm for the occasion.
    ...When I bowhunt I don't carry a sidearm at all.
    +1

When I am Rifle hunt season, i carry a 30-06 with a Sig Arms 40 as a side arm. When i am Bow hunting or hunting during the winter time (after the bears have all denned up) its just me and the Compund.

I carry a Mosin Nagant M-39 everywhere, as well as a .22 Romy trainer. These both go on my snowgo and in my boats.

I seldom carry a pistol, like only trail riding my snowgo to the next village or I carry a Browning HiPower or Gp100 .357when Im picking Greens of Berrys, or walking creeks and mud.

12 Gauge for birds, Its usually in the boat, but I like to hunt ptarmigan in winter as well.

Mostly its my M-39.