Thread: AA2230 powder in .223

Default AA2230 powder in .223

Anyone have any real experience with using AA2230 powder in .223 using 50 to 60 grain bullets. Thanks

I have used it in the past with 55gr bullets. It worked well.

I just bought a couple more pounds of it, so I'll start playing with it again.

Default AA2230 powder

Thanks, Dan

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hi Mauserboy, hope your new year is off to a good start! I have also used it with pretty good results under 55 gr bullets but it was back before I had a chrono so I couldnt really say how it was velocity wise. Accuracy was prety good but I was shooting them out of a NEF handy rifle that despite every trick in the book doesnt seem to want to group anything under an inch.

Good luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default AA2230 powder usage

And a Happy New year to you and yours! I got this sweet little CZ 527 American for Christmas, well, sort of, and am going to work up some loads for when it gets warmer, if it ever does. I'll be using 50gr to 60gr bullets because of the 1:12 twist rate, and I'm hoping the gun will like this powder. Thanks!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Lucky Dog!

Oh Man………….. Santa must REALLY like you! I have been wanting one of those rifles for a long time now! All I have is a couple of those NEF handy Rifles in .223 and they are super picky as to what they shoot. And you must always full length re-size or the little plunger in the back of the barrel doesn’t have enough poop to pop the fired case out. The triggers also suck something awful and needed a bunch of work.

Send me an e-mail before you head to the range if you want some company. I would love to shoot that new CZ of yours and catch up with some good conversation! I got weekends and every other Monday off.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    And a Happy New year to you and yours! I got this sweet little CZ 527 American for Christmas, well, sort of, and am going to work up some loads for when it gets warmer, if it ever does. I'll be using 50gr to 60gr bullets because of the 1:12 twist rate, and I'm hoping the gun will like this powder. Thanks!

Nice rifle there. But I gotta tell ya, there are much better powders than 2230. That is the original ball powder (in surplus) that was developed for the 5.56 but it was dropped after some time with the M-16. If you are buying powder, gets some BenchMark, it is super clean and delivers some of the best accuracy in the 223. Also the old H322 is a very good powder. Benchmark is good for a greater range of bullet weights. If you've got the 2230 on hand, it will work but it is dirty.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?