Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hand?

Question Which Hand?

This has always confused me guys. So, when I fish, I hold the rod in my left hand, and I reel with my right hand. If I wanted to order a reel, would I order a left handed reel, or a right handed one? I've never been absolutely positive on this. Is there anyone out there that can clear this for me? Sorry, its just always confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    This has always confused me guys. So, when I fish, I hold the rod in my left hand, and I reel with my right hand. If I wanted to order a reel, would I order a left handed reel, or a right handed one? I've never been absolutely positive on this. Is there anyone out there that can clear this for me? Sorry, its just always confused me.
    You are describing a right-handed reel.

I'm kinda confused on this myself, I'm right handed through and through, but I hold the pole with my right hand and reel with my left.

More hook-setting power that way

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

What you should find that is most reels are Bi reelable they go both ways.

Usually you just back the handle out and switch sides on it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    What you should find that is most reels are Bi reelable they go both ways.

Usually you just back the handle out and switch sides on it
    Chuckie, show me a bait caster that goes both ways!!

Ok dave your right. I was just thinking spinners. I guess if I owned a baitcaster i would have know that. LOL Thanks for saving my butt on that one

I know you have lead a sheltered life Chuck.

Hey shoot me a PM with your Address. I got a couple of things I want to send you.

I have never owned a baitcaster. I have 2 ultra light spinning rods. One red spinning rod as back up. The rest are fly rods. So june likes here new TFO 8'6 5wt. She is eager to use it all ready

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    You are describing a right-handed reel.
    Thanks for that larsenvenga and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Thanks for that larsenvenga and everyone else.
    No problem, glad to help. I found myself asking the same question a few years back when ordering a Shimano Calcutta over the internet, which is what led me to finally figure it out.

my right handed fly reels put the rod in my right hand but my right handed baitcasters put the rod in my left hand when I reel, but I still cast right handed... Not sure if I'm just stupid or this is how it works
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Patrick-

You just hit on my first question reading this thread. What sort of reel are we discussing here? I'm "right handed" (meaning that's my stronger hand.) When I fish a trolling or bottom fishing rig I hold the rod in my left and reel with my right. When spinning, the rod is in my left, and the reel is worked with the left hand. When I use my baitcaster the rod is in my right hand for stronger casting, but I switch hands quickly after the cast to retrieve or fight a fish just as with a trolling rod. Fly fishing goes similar to spinning... cast with the right arm, reel and strip/mend line with the left hand.

I THINK these are all pretty standard setups for us right handers. For anyone wrong handed (oops... I mean LEFT handed!) each scenario would reverse. Having only purchased one left handed reel in all my days, I can only assume that a "left handed" reel is whatever is opposite the usual setup. I've heard fly reels referred to as left and "right handed retrieve" which seems to clarify things just a bit.

Clear as mud?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    I'm right handed through and through, but I hold the pole with my right hand and reel with my left.
    Hmmm, im right handed, hold the pole with my left and reel with the right...everyone has always said i was backwards!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Do it right/not left

If you fish with your rod in your right hand you should use a left handed reel .If you hold your rod in your left hand and reel with your right hand then use a right handed reel.I'm talking strictly baitcasters here.To do otherwise you have to switch hands after you cast,thereby wasting time and energy.It aint rocket science.......duh!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    thereby wasting time and energy
    are we talking sport fishing? time and energy??? im cracking up over here... im picturing this guy (any guy) casting and reeling as frantically fast as he can... no time to switch hands mark! haha just messin with ya

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    Hmmm, im right handed, hold the pole with my left and reel with the right...everyone has always said i was backwards!

You are I am the opposite I am right handed but I reel left, fight the fish with my strong hand. I have friends that do it the opposite of me. Which ever side of the reel the handle is that is which handed the reel is. Handle on the right, right handed reel.

Klickman

Default Ok

I guess I'm not so different as my fishing buddies would say.. I hold the rod in my left hand and reel with my right. When I bought my baitcaster, years ago before sportsmens, I was told I had bought a left handed baitcaster. I'm not complaining, I'm glad to be finaly set right. Seems simple enough, if the handle is on the right...right handed reel.

Thanks for clearing this up

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Default My Bad!

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to confuse anyone. I probably should have included that I was infact refering to a baitcasting reel. I've been told that I've been doing all of it backwards by some people, so I just wanted to clarify that I was reeling right handed, not left handed.

yeah well everyone is quick to judge at my backwardness but i tell ya what, everybody shuts up real quick when i put the first fish in the boat! that always happens when people tell me i fish wrong (so please, tell me im wrong).
    last year while waiting for 6am to start fishing deshka my pole is in its holder and my buddies were laughing at my home made lure... got the wrong pole got the wrong reel got the wrong lure...paul your never gonna catch anything like that... 6:05 im tagging my king. nobody else, that does it all right, caught anything.
    whatevers comfortable is good with me!

For baitcasters and fly reels, right-hand crank = right hand reel. Luckily, just about every spinning reel can have the crank switched from one side to the other by simply unscrewing it. It is very common for people using spinning reels to do the opposite of what seems would be the norm. I am right handed, and when using spinning reels, crank with my right hand. My wife, a lefty, also cranks with the right. In the end, it just boils down to whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Hopefully this settles the matter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast