Thread: New Scope for a 338

Default New Scope for a 338

Had a 3x9 scope on my 338 for years. Used it for a long time hunting in Wyoming and shot several elk at just under 300 yards. I've changed things up a little and started reloading 250 grain bullets and plan to use the gun for moose and bear. Will be a gun for shorter range hunting. Thinking about putting on a smaller scope, something like a 2x7 for close range in the brush. Would also be nice having a smaller scope to snag the alders less. In my searching I've found a ton of 3x9 scopes, but not many in the lower power range. Any good recommendations? Who thinks I should just slap on another 3x9? I put the old 3x9 on my wifes new 30-06 so that scope is taken (good way to get a new scope). Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Love the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20

I have a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20 scope in matte finish on my .458, and I love it! It has a nice wide field of view, very clear and bright glass, a low, small profile, and of course, it has the renowned Leupold lifetime warranty and factory service if you ever need it.

I own some much more expensive scopes, and I still really like this one for just the purposes you mentioned. It is definitely worth considering when making your choice. You should be able to buy a new one for around $325-$340 if you shop carefully, and used for $240-$280 if you don't mind a light ring mark or two. The warranty carries over with no hassle at all.

Best Regards,

Jim

I put a Leupold 1.75 x 6 on my 338 and really like it. Also as a Cabelas club member, I saw in my statement yesterday where they had many of the Leupold VXIII scopes list as sold out still available. I know because I called and ordered 2 scopes listed as out of stock. They were also cheaper than previously advertised. This scope was $299 new.

yooper, do you have the heavy crosshairs........I really like them on my 1.75x6................at dusk and dawn, they look like rail road ties, what ever is in the scope goes right to the center!

Bruce,

Yes I do have the heavy duplex in this scope and also like it in the brush as the crosshairs stand out well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    I have a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20 scope in matte finish on my .458, and I love it! It has a nice wide field of view, very clear and bright glass, a low, small profile, and of course, it has the renowned Leupold lifetime warranty and factory service if you ever need it.

I own some much more expensive scopes, and I still really like this one for just the purposes you mentioned. It is definitely worth considering when making your choice. You should be able to buy a new one for around $325-$340 if you shop carefully, and used for $240-$280 if you don't mind a light ring mark or two. The warranty carries over with no hassle at all.

Best Regards,

Jim
    ditto on the leupold 1.5X5. this is my favorint hunting scope....plenty of power and wide field of view! i took an elk this year at 400yds (wounded) and it worked great! also carry's well in a scabbard. pass on the large optics.
    happy trails.
    jh

Zeiss Conquest has two options, 1.8-5.5x38 and 2.5-8x32. Both can be had for the same price as a VX III of similar power but offer better optical quality and are just as reliable as a Leupold.