Thread: North To Alaska

Default North To Alaska

Good morning gentlemen;
    I am a newbe on this board but am a member of I-Fish in Oregon. I am looking for some pointers and help as myself, son and grandson will be doing the inside passage this year and returning home on the outside. We will be living on board with stops in ports to re-supply. I am looking for tips and places to do some shrimping, crabing as well as fishing.

This is a once in a lifetime trip for the three of us and want to make it something to remember. I am an avid sportsman and will take no more than the three of us can use. I would sooner catch the chicken halibut than the monsters and release anything over 50 pounds.

We will be doing a 45 day trip starting in June with stops in Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Glacier Bay and Sitka.

Any help could possibly be returned with some Albacore fishing off the Oregon coast at a later date.

Run a quick seach on this forum for "inside passage" and you will find a bit of useful information. I have included two of the most recent threads from both the power boating and fishing areas in the hyperlink below. Check it out...good stuff.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44524

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=passage
    Last edited by Larsenvega; 01-01-2009 at 08:22. Reason: add hyperlink

Quote Originally Posted by macushlah View Post
    Good morning gentlemen;
    I am a newbe on this board but am a member of I-Fish in Oregon. I am looking for some pointers and help as myself, son and grandson will be doing the inside passage this year and returning home on the outside. We will be living on board with stops in ports to re-supply. I am looking for tips and places to do some shrimping, crabing as well as fishing.

This is a once in a lifetime trip for the three of us and want to make it something to remember. I am an avid sportsman and will take no more than the three of us can use. I would sooner catch the chicken halibut than the monsters and release anything over 50 pounds.

We will be doing a 45 day trip starting in June with stops in Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Glacier Bay and Sitka.

Any help could possibly be returned with some Albacore fishing off the Oregon coast at a later date.
    Shoot me a PM... sounds like we'll be crossing paths this year. That part about Albacore sounds interesting, as I'm cruising the Inside Passage with my boat, the Can Can, to get to the Charleston/Coos Bay area...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's another source for you to find some good info. Follow these links to some books you can buy off of Amazon.com or go to your local Barnes and Noble to buy. I know if I were to be making a trip like yours, I'd be gathering as much research as possible!

1. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Anchorage...0827090&sr=1-2

2. http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Insi...827090&sr=1-12

3. http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Charlot...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Welcome fellow Ifisher.

WOW, 45 days! That is a trip of a lifetime. Are you going to sail from Oregon or trailer the boat north?

I am planning on doing the trip from Seattle to Juneau in mid May this year, so although I am not of much help now, I may have some recent experience I can share with you after I complete my trip and before your's starts. I will send you a PM with my contact information.

Jim

All;
    Thanks for the comeback. I will be (powering) from Portland sometime around June 1 (dependent on the grandsons last day of school). I have purchased all of Don Douglass's books on doing the inside passage and have been studying for the past year.

We will be traveling in a 45' twin screw C&L trawler. It is an 8 knot boat and not much more, hence the 90 day trip.

I will be carrying two crab pots as well as 2 shrimp pots. Where I could use some help is in the shrimping area as I have never shrimped before. Are there any favorite baits to use and what depths to look for? Any favorite holes that I can hit for a few hours on my way through?

One other question. Does anyone have any experience transporting fish between B.C. and Alaska? I have a small freezer on board that I will be keeping our fish in.

man that sounds like a fun trip, here's the advice I can offer, even though its pretty limited

Herring in the bait box and some hang bait (salmon carcass cod whatever) will catch crabs and shrimp

focus on salmon inside and halibut outside

if you like fly fishing bring yours gear, you'd be suprised

watch narrow areas, the tide gets them ripping sometimes faster than 6 knots

don't be daughted by the fishing regulations they are actually pretty basic

watch out for commercial fishing boats, if the trollers are trolling, troll too

if you are near a hatchery or fish weir in the middle of nowhere stop by and say hi those folks really like visitors
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default We will be traveling in a 45' twin screw C&L trawler

I remember dragging a herring up by Ship Island in Clarence Straight on a slow derby day. Went out on deck to my surprise have a kayak up by my stern. When I asked where he came from he said Seattle. Seeing that he was loaded down for a long haul asked where he was headed and he said Haines. I did not find out how long he had been at it but he was running solo.
    I also know a couple of old timers that did Seattle to Ketchikan, one in a canoe, the other in a Lund skiff, each running solo.

So when you are sitting in the comfort of your 45' trawler, try imagine how the trip must have been for these tough ol salt's.
    For your shrimp try 40-60 fathoms in a trench or bottom of a ledge. Bait cup and hanging bait.

Have a great trip.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Don't worry Acndho, I have nothing but respect for any old salt or old-timer for that matter. I am a working man myself and picked this boat up as a project boat. I have busted my butt getting it in shape as I do all my own work and now its time to enjoy the fruits of my labor since I am no longer working.

My dad did most of the opposite-direction trip a few years back in a 32' Nordic Tug. He went from Homer, AK to Blaine, WA. I think the whole trip took about 3 weeks (I could be wrong about that...I wasn't with him), but he wasn't taking his time or stopping to fish.

A couple of the major things he told me watch for if I ever do that trip:

You're in an already slow boat, so time the tides in the narrowist passages. I know this has already been mentioned, but his boat maxes out at about 12 knots, and he had a couple of spots where he was barely gaining ground due to wicked currents. He was gunning it and going 4 knots...which would mean you would be standing still if your boat only does 8 knots.

The other major thing he stressed: Make sure you let customs know you are entering Canada...they will inspect your boat. My dad is 60ish bookish looking biologist, and they brought aboard a drug-sniffing dog. It works best for everyone if you call ahead and let them know you are coming, your approximate time of arrival, and they essentially pencil you in for inspection. They had a mix-up on times coming back into the U.S. on the WA side and had the CG hailing them...they are really on the ball so it pays if you are, too.

Other then that, it's a beautiful trip (I've done it a couple of times myself on the ferry) and incredible area. You will almost definitely see whales and porpoise, as well as bears on shore. You will definitely see eagles. Probably a lot of other great sites as well. There are a lot of little secret places to go, things to see, trails to hike, hot springs to soak in, streams to catch native cutthroats.....

Have a great trip...I'm totally jealous of you right now just thinking about it.