Thread: pound of powder

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default pound of powder

after reading another thread about the amount of powder available for reloading here in southcentral ak it got me thinking. how much powder do you go through? seems to me that a pound would last for a while. how many loads are you getting out of a pound in what caliber. seems a little odd that someone would need to purchase a whole pallet of powder in fear that he would be able to get any more in the amount of time its gonna take him to use that supply.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    after reading another thread about the amount of powder available for reloading here in southcentral ak it got me thinking. how much powder do you go through? seems to me that a pound would last for a while. how many loads are you getting out of a pound in what caliber. seems a little odd that someone would need to purchase a whole pallet of powder in fear that he would be able to get any more in the amount of time its gonna take him to use that supply.
    I just herd about this tonight on the wy home frome a buddy (gentlemen buys pallet at SW and peo's everyone off.) Personally I think he's going to black market it. I agree, what the heck do you need "that" much for other then making money.

I would say a pound of what I am looking for (.220 swift) would last for a long time.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well it goes kinda like this.....
    IIRC, a pound of powder consists of 7000 Grains. I load my 338 with 67 grains of H4350. Divide 7000 by 67. I can get 104 loaded rounds, before needing another can of powder.

I do a little better with 57 grains, (different powder) in my 280 Rem.,

AND, Worse in my 7mm Weatherby, 74 grains, (different powder)

ONE pound of powder won't go too far loading for a rifle, especially a Magnum. BUT, say you use 7 to 15 grains (of Whatever), in a 357, it'll go a lot further.

Load 20 grains, (of Whatever), in a 44 Mag. and get 350 rounds per pound.

That "Whatever" powder, besides going a long way, is a good powder too. Hyuk, Hyuk.

By all means stock up on powder, but wait until I get mine first, because it's gittin scarce.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

When I was shooting competitively, putting thousands of handgun rounds and hundreds of rifle rounds downrange each month, I was going through 2-3 pounds of unique a month and about the same amount of rifle powder. Call it 50-60 pounds a year. And I was shooting all day every Saturday and Sunday and a couple of evenings a week to do that.

Now I'm mostly shooting muzzleloaders. I shoot them a lot too, but at the expense of time with my centerfires. Because of the slower loading and all, I'm spending way too much time at the range if I go through more than a couple of pounds a month of black powder or Pyrodex. Call it 20-25 pounds a year.

Buying a pallet? Get the guy's name and keep an eye on him. He's a hoarder, and he's going to have to dump most of it next time he moves. Make sure you show up at his garage sale for some real bargains. Last time I got wind of one of these guys he moved 4 years after the big buy. I joined with friends and bought his whole inventory at $1/pound back when most powder was going for around $10/pound.

Aint inflation a bugger? I bet you have to give the guy over $2 a pound to buy him out. And I bet most of the cases aren't even opened.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

my post was more to find out how much powder everyone goes through and why it seems to be so hard to come by. i wasnt looking to put the guy that bought the pallet "on the spot". though its unfortunate for everyone else he didnt do anything wrong buy purchasing a whole pallet. now he could be doing something illegal with it but noone knows that for sure. the real problem to me anyway seems to be directed towards the supplier, in this case SW but i suppose that since no one seems to be able to get a regular supply then the problem lies elsewhere. 50- 60 pounds of powder a year for everyone that likes to shoot that much around here dosent seem like it would be that hard to supply them with multiple shops throughout southcentral alaska that carry powder.

Default Other States

Does anybody know if other states are having the same issue. I have found many suppliers online that are stocked up on powder. I think it may have to do with the poor job of the wholesaler up here and the issues with Sportsmans.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Does anybody know if other states are having the same issue. I have found many suppliers online that are stocked up on powder. I think it may have to do with the poor job of the wholesaler up here and the issues with Sportsmans.
    Right on. Alaska has Obamanoya like no place else I know. My point about the guy buying all the powder is specifically to put him down. He's a fool, unless he's figuring to make a killing selling the stuff out of his trunk. Then he's a double fool.

Compared to the last round of paranoia when Clinton was coming in, there are just a lot fewer places selling powder locally now. Can't compeat with the online sources and the big box stores like SW, so they're getting out of reloading altogether. And when an outfit like SW knocks off the little guys and then are mismanaged and suffering from competition with other big stores, it's worse. As supplies go up and down with fewer stores around, yeah some places are going to run out for a while. Like most fishing ports run out of bread and milk the week before the first salmon opener each spring. But you go back a week later and they're at full stock.

Sad state of affairs all around with fewer stores selling reloading supplies, but we've done it to ourselves chasing the last nickel of savings buying at the big stores and online. It's even worse for black powder guns and supplies-- You almost can't find them anywhere else now. I buy from the small stores and figure the extra cost is support of local business.

I'm predicting the inventories of powder are going to go right back up before long. I also predict that once it does, it's going to sit on the shelves and gather dust because so much was already bought up. If we get real lucky, they'll throw the stuff on sale to get it moving again. That's what I'm waiting for.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I really try not to keep a whole bunch of powder on hand but I do agree with Smitty (as I nearly always do ) in regards to the larger cartridges as you can go thru a pound in pretty short order. I like RL #7 for my 45-70 and 375 Winchesters and although these are not huge cases compared to some of the ultra magnums, I can still do away with a full pound in an evening worth of reloading. Now with my 45 Colt I only use like 9 grains of Unique…………. So at 9 grains per cartridge, you can load a pile of them for every pound of powder.

I do think the hording thing has gone a bit overboard as many folks have obviously gone into full blown panic mode………… That said, it does aggravate the crap out of me that I cant even get one lousy pound of my favorites. On the other hand I have at least 20 lbs of various powders that I have tried for various reloading projects and for what ever reason did not like the performance of them in those particular cartridges, so there they sit in the cabinet 90% full waiting for I don’t know what, because I am not likely to acquire many new calibers as I am pretty well content to just add more rifles chambered for cartridges I already have in my battery. I guess they did work good enough, that I could use them if I was really in a pinch……
    Now before anybody gets a hankering to ask if they can buy some of this powder from me, I must respectfully note that I will never sell an open container of powder to anyone for any amount of money. I personally think it’s a bad practice and don’t condone it, nor do I participate in it as a seller or buyer. I know a lot of guys don’t have an issue with opened powder and I always see a fair amount of it for sale at the gun shows, but I always think to myself, “is that really H110, or did the guy that sold this powder to his buddy who sold it at a garage sale to this guy who is selling it at the gun show fill this empty container with some OTHER powder?” You guys know what I am saying, the world abounds with fools and idiots and who’s to say that, that particular can didn’t pas thru some fools hands at one time or another. I know my powder is good, but I don’t want to encourage the practice by selling it if you know what I mean.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default I do know what you mean Alangaq...

...and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I will not buy or sell powder second-hand for the good reasons you noted. I also don't want to support the practice of personal profiteering off of the membership of our handloading community. I expect businesses to profit from us...that is what business does. However, I wouldn't look kindly upon individual endeavers to gooble-up limited supplies for the sole purpose of personal profit seeking at our expense.

AKriverrat asked an honest question as the thread starter, and you guys have given excellent answers. I can only add that generally (there are exceptions) I feel it's none of my business to know or judge the powder consumption of my fellow handloaders in their pursuance of shooting/hunting activities, and IMO it's not my place to call someone a "hoarder" or "paranoid" when they stock-pile for their future needs. To each his own...some people wait until the wood pile is near empty before they cut more firewood, others start cutting when it's half full...and others are already cutting for next year.

I use 8-12 pounds a year.
    Tennessee

Default pound of powder

There is 7000 grains in a pound of powder. So it all depends what you are loading to how many rounds you get out of a pound of powder.

The bigger the gun the bigger the bang.