Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- Small Tents

Default IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- Small Tents

This category is for small mountaineering tents you would use in open country for sheep, goat, caribou or other game found in exposed areas where wind may be a problem. Considerations are: Acceptable for spring, summer and fall on a multi-day Alaska expedition trip off the road system, light weight (for backpacking), sturdy design, good moisture control (condensation and leakproof floor). The tent should accomodate two people. Post your first choice and why.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Black Diamond Guiding Light

I float arctic rivers each year and got what I feel to be the perfect tent. This is a very big tent for two people, which is why I bought it. Also, I wanted a freestanding tent. It is low to the ground which makes it perfect in high winds. I use mesh "rock bags" instead of stakes on our NW trips and it is tight as a drum. It is an incredible design and has served us well on three float trips that were 7-13 days long. Got 30+ mph winds and driving rain and this tent did not budge or let one drop in. It is a single wall tent so no rain fly to flap around in the wind all night. At night, I like to be able to hear well in case we get any four legged visitors. Nothing but good things to say about it. Best part, it weighs 5 lbs and packs to 7"x12". Below is a link to more information if anyone is interested. See the video of the tent in 60 mph winds.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...ding_light.php

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Small tent, my choice is....

Hilleberge seems to be a well made bomb-proof tent. Many sizes/models, but mostly they handle the wind & snow load very well.

for a mere survival light weight I carry a Go-Lite Hex-3 Teepee in my day pack. Gets me out of the rain and dry if I need to be out un-expectantly all night. Huddled under spruce in the rain all night just plain sux without a shelter.

I assume that you are talking about a 2 man shelter and the answer there is too easy!! Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT! Bomb proof, tons of room. While not the lightest tent on the market for the small increase in weight you get a LOT more usable space! It packs to right at 6 lbs but split the weight between you and a partner and you are in buisness!

Default Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I assume that you are talking about a 2 man shelter and the answer there is too easy!! Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT! Bomb proof, tons of room. While not the lightest tent on the market for the small increase in weight you get a LOT more usable space! It packs to right at 6 lbs but split the weight between you and a partner and you are in buisness!

That's the one I had in mind too....

Thumbs up +3 on the Nallo 3GT

This tent is light and big. It is strong and warm. What else do you need in a tent. Oh yeah, a great place to buy it...Barney's!

The nominations to date are excellent in their own right but my preference runs a bit smaller and for a bit more possible extreme conditions. It is sufficiently roomy for too people but there is certainly no excess of space. I have found it to be very weather worthy in windy, wet, and snowy conditions with excellent ventilation if the available options are appropriately utilized and weight is acceptable at 4.5 lb. - the two door version of Black Diamond's Eldorado. http://www.bdel.com/gear/eldorado.php
    For more extreme conditions I have been eyeing Mountain Hardware's EV2 at approx 5# as I recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't been keeping up with tents but have been using a 2 man Bibler for 8 years now and have been happy....light, leak proof, easy to set up internal poles (nice if raining when setting up, just crawl inside and set it up without getting too wet), the walls wick moisture so no condensation to build up and puddle, ..etc...

biggest downfall is no awning...if it doesn't fit inside with you it's getting wet...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have only had tents fail on me two times in my life. Both times it happened on the Alaska Peninsula, and both times a Barney's Bomb Shelter was the failed tent. The 10x10 is the worst. It is too high profile to take heavy wind, and the 4 pole design twists and bends out of the hub too easily.

On both occasions, I moved to a Cabela's outfitter xwt tent and was fine. the bipod corners give the hub-style design the extra support that is sorely needed by the Bomb Shelter. It is more dome-shaped too, making wind roll over it more efficiently.

When I pack out, I love my two-man Sierra Designs, 4-season dome.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Default Gear

All good choices so far. Last year I used a Marmot design it worked ok but it really didnt get tested to hard. A little snow load but no winds to speak of.

Great topic & there is a wealth of info about tents on here,to the OP you might ck in the Gear Forum as well they discuss tents regularly over there.

Default Mountain Hardware

Well if money were not an issue I know I'd be bouncing back and forth between the Helleberg and Mountain Hardwear tents. I'm really undecided but between the two makers I'd find something I'd hang out on a windy and rainy ridgeline with.

A Helleberg, prefer the free standing versions.

Matt M

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I will stick with my Mt hardware 2 man.. LOVE IT>> been down to -30 in it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We love our Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT

I bought a Stephenson Warmlite 3R last year and have been very happy with it. http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

It is amazingly lightweight for it's size - the 3R is HUGE for 2 people.
    If I had to do it over again I would probably add the endliners to the base tent as condensation does seem to occur with the single-walled ends, but all in all very happy with the tent.

UMM dood that is some interesting content on that site.... Looks like some good gear. Interesting choice of model apparel.... I don't think I am going to edit the link because it is a gear site but there may be some images there that could be considered inappropriate for young children.

Quote Originally Posted by kstout View Post
    I bought a Stephenson Warmlite 3R last year and have been very happy with it. http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

It is amazingly lightweight for it's size - the 3R is HUGE for 2 people.
    If I had to do it over again I would probably add the endliners to the base tent as condensation does seem to occur with the single-walled ends, but all in all very happy with the tent.

Default Hilleberg

I have a Ak tent and tarp wall tent for base camp.... but everything else is done in the Hilleberg... and I LOVE it.... has taken arctic winds and freeze, Kodiak rain and Penninsula wind without even a hiccup.

Greg

I love my mountain Hardware Trango 2. It is a little bit heavy, but two vestibules and 4 season design is very nice in the rain/snow storms.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    UMM dood that is some interesting content on that site.... Looks like some good gear. Interesting choice of model apparel.... I don't think I am going to edit the link because it is a gear site but there may be some images there that could be considered inappropriate for young children.

Yeah, I think they like to enjoy the great outdoors "naturally", but didn't think there was to much there that would offend anyone. Now if you order a tent from them their catalog and tent instructions are a little more interesting........

Nonetheless, they make a good tent.

Sorry if anyone gets bothered. I've read this forum for quite a while, and never post. Figures when I finally do that I about get edited.

I still like my Sierra Stretch dome. Been in some rough weather and it held together great. It's a good size for 2 + gear. Little heavy for a sheep hunt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast