Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- Large Tents

Default IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- Large Tents

Okay, here's the first category. If you could purchase any large tent for an Alaska expedition trip, what would it be, and why? The definition of a "large tent" is one you can stand up in, sleeps at least two people on cots, and would be acceptable in spring, summer and fall. This is a tent you would use in timbered country or other areas where the tent could be protected from wind by surrounding vegetation.

List your favorite and after a bit, I will collate the results into a poll.

Fire away!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Large tent, my opinion is....

Davis Tent Company, Denver Colorado. I own their 14 by 16 Canvas Wall Tent w/ a Cylinder stove. This is a comfortable home away from home....substantial, warmth with room for four men to live for extended period of time, dry clothing, cook, heat water to bathe, this is "living large" in the back country. This setup instills confidence in my ability to abide comfortably in the backcountry.

Drawback is the weight and bulk. Both tent and stove are heavy as well as bulky. Setup is on average about an hour's worth of labor, but I'm set in base camp from that point forward.

Mike,
    For the desire to keep from overrunning my garage with tents I think that My large tent would be an arctic oven with the maximum amount of mesh window options that AK tent and tarp can install. For a large tent I expect it to work for me year round! I would probably choose an AO 10 with a buddy heater (and spare CO2 alarm). In the summer keep it open and airy with the mesh panels, in the winter zip it up turn the stove on low and sleep soundly in any temp!

I especially like the extended vestibule option!

Nothing better in the winter time!!

Thumbs up Large Tent....

My favorite large tent, an obvious choice for a guide-outfitter camp, where weight in not a concern...Barneys Bombshelter 10 X 10 tent.

Although it weighs in at 52 pounds, an 6 foot tall adult can stand upright, and it is rock solid, as the name Bombshelter implies, in the fierce storms of western Alaska and on the Alaska Peninsula. The newer ones are now vented so that condensation can escape. Two doors, each with a large vestibule areas, provide access from different directions. I have had a 10 X 10 Bombshelter tent tied down by 32 ropes, and the tent withstood a frightening six day "hurricane storm" out at Cold Bay.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

I really like my Cabela's Alaknak 12'X12'. It is great for all seasons and is real roomy with two to three people. When it gets real cold or you are going to be dealing with allot of wet clothes (deer hunting) the wood stove makes a great addition. Sets up quick and has proven itself in some of the nastiest weather.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

If price was not an issue?

North Face 2 meter dome.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...eter-dome.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Kifaru tipi

at least the 8 man size - larger would be ok - with a stove. I have one of the 8 man tipis w/stove - plenty of room for 2 men, cots & all your gear. we've slept 4 men (on cots) in it. holds up to weather (HIGH wind) awesomely. wouldn't mind upgrading to one of the larger sizes. the 8 man w/stove weighs less than 20lbs.
    Gary

Now thats pretty cool.
    I use a U.S.Military 10 man Arctic squad tent.
    1 pole,a bright white inside liner, a stove, the floor of your choice, lots of attachments and repair kits. Even has "How to" instructions sewn inside in "Stick man" pictographs...LOL!

Ive used them for years, in all seasons, they shed wind and rain very well.

this tent came from "reliable tent co" in montana. it is medium heavy canvas, and will shed rain or snow. a nice feature in an outfitter tent over a military model is the light inside! it's great!

we have used this model(this is a new replacement, bears got the last one!) for years and have no complaints. a wood stove tops off the outfit for real cold.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Tipi

I second the vote for a Kifaru tipi. We own one with the "take down" stove. It's a great tent, sets up easily, can withstand wind, and will keep you warm.

The only drawback (as far as I'm concerned) is the lack of floor. Of course, some of the canvas tents previously mentioned are floorless also.

Although I do not have one, there are tons of good reviews on the Arctic oven. This would be one I would like to have if I was going to buy a large tent.

Default large tent

Kifaru 8 man w/liner & take down stove. Only downer is it gets hot inside when the sun is out.

My vote would have to go with the Artika made by Alaska Tent and Tarp, 12'x13'. It's hexagon shape sheds wind well, I've never had any condensation develop, and stays warm with minimal heat source. I had one set up on Adak for over a month in October and November, and it withstood two huge storms very well. A little pricey though: with cooking vestibule, floor saver (a must) and a window (which I wouldn't bother getting again) it cost $1,960. I don't use the vestibule on Adak, but spring hunts on the Peninsula it's nice.
    Mark

I use the Cabela's 8 man alaskan guide tent W/the large vestibule. last spring on Kodiak it blew 45 and snowed and it was fine. We also had the buddie heater. W/O the vestbule it would be tight for cold weather hunting because of the extra gear involved.

I have used the cabelas 6 man guide model without issue. Very nice features and holds up to the wind well. Have the aluminum poles for the lightness and durability.

Its hard to beat a wall tent.
    Onlyt problem is that they are very "Lite" as in they let in sunlight all the time.
    Ever spend months in the miodnight sun? Try leave your house brightly lit, 24/7 for a couple months, and sleep like that. You'll go nuts! People in the Arctic often tinfoil thier windows shut, just to get sleep...LOL!!!
    One tent in summer

Its good to use your Caribou, Muskox or Bear skins for a warm claen floor.
    Or put a 12X14 inna 14X16 and stay all winter.

Good fishing demands you stay till they quit biting....can take days....

1st choice - Kifaru 12 man tipi with Four Dog Ultra-Light I Titanium stove.

2nd choice - Artic Oven AO 10
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I stopped by AO today. Wow! These tents are a cut above. I was looking for a large durable tent that could: shelter my family of 5 or maybe 3 close hunting buddies and me, be warm and dry and stay relatively light weight. I looked at the AO10 and it was too small. The AO 10x20 was awesome but too big. The Artica came close but I'm over 6' and have a high mileage lower back so bending over is out of the question. Kelly told me about their unadvertised AO12. It is a taller (7'9") version of the AO10 but is 12'x12'. Bingo! It has plenty of room for a close family, stove, and basics. 4 hunters would probably need to store some gear under a tarp. She said they don't avdvertise it because most people would have trouble reaching the corner hooks during set up. The AO12 would be the Taj for two high maintenance hunters w/lots of gear as long as one feller was at least 6'2". I need to start soaking pinto beans, collecting walnuts, and picking up soda cans to scrape up enough pennies before fall.

AO 10 for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 12 Man Kifaru Tipi

I'll add another vote for a 12 man Kifaru Tipi based on my very satisfactory experience with the tipi on the North Slope this past fall. Ample room, easy to erect, packs extremely small for the size of the tent, plenty of room for standing, and withstands wind well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast