Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- top gear

Default IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT- top gear

Okay I thought a series on gear would be nice... I'm going to call it "if money were no object". In other words, if you could afford the "best", what would you get? I'd like to do this with some of the things we've talked about before, and then collate the data for folks who are looking to rent or purchase gear for Alaska. yes, I know we've worn some of these discussions out, but we get new folks in here alla time... so it's for their benefit. It could be something we can keep in its own forum too, perhaps.
    Here are the categories:

1. Large tents
    2. Mountaineering tents
    3. Packs
    4. Hiking boots
    5. Jackets
    6. Raingear
    7. Hip boots / waders
    8. Sleeping bags
    9. Sleeping pads
    10. Large water filters
    11. Small water filters
    12. Headlamps
    13. Backpacking stoves
    14. Campstoves
    15. Knives
    16. Trekking poles
    17. Inflatable canoes
    18. Large rafts / catarafts

My plan is to get a list of your top choice in each category (we'll do a separate thread on each one, so don't list the gear in this thread!) and then do a poll for the top ten in each category (if we get that many). We will list the final "winners" in each category as the "forum users choice". Feel free to post your reasons for the ones you recommend, too. We might include that in the final writeup.

I know a lot of this is personal preference, but the point is to say that if you could afford what you consider to be "the best", what would it be, and why?

Can you think of other items that should be on the list?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default one additional...

Mike,
    you forgot Optics in your list of gear.....

Default Great idea

But I really think that you should add in "The Next Best Thing" Not everyone can afford the best but they could get ideas from them but having a next best thing would probably fall into alot more budgets. This kind of info would go hand in hand.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default just tell us...

the 18 things you have Mike and we'll know which ones to get.

Default Oh, you bad man...

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
    the 18 things you have Mike and we'll know which ones to get.
    Yeah, the intentions are good, but I've gotta work on the delivery...

Actually there are some things on my list that I don't have yet, but eventually you have to put the brakes on. I like the Arctic Oven and the Bombshelter, but don't own either...

It will be interesting to see what pops up in this one. Hope it helps folks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Great thread idea Mike!

It would be nice if all the related threads were stickies as well.

Mike,

Methinks this is best suited for the Alaska outdoors gear forum instead of cluttering up the hunting forum, especially if you are gonna do a separate thread on each one! But just my opinion.

Default topic

2nd as well. Great topic just not well suited here.

Great list. How about listing the biggest piece of junk for each catagory. Sometimes mistakes are the best teachers. Other times 2 or three replacements after years of wear and tear seems better than one ruined super dollar gem. My .02

Default Water filter: Katadyn Base Camp

From: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=336854

We used the Katadyn Base Camp filter last year to filter plenty of water from the silty Tanana River. To reduce silt, we used a settling pond first, then let the water drip through a nylon sack to reduce filter clogging - until finding a tannin-stained creek later with less silt. The rest was set it and forget it; fill and drip 5 to 8 gallons was effortless during our 8-days out. Worked flawlessly for us. Vance in AK suggested wrapping a coffee filter around the filter element too, which made good sense.

Default Rifle Holster?

The most important piece of equipment is a rifle.

Default Water filter

I am a huge fan of the MSR Miox, which just purifies the water, it is not a filter. I used this for all of my water for a 10 month period in 2007-8. All you need is batteries and salt. It is about the size of one of those large sharpie markers. I think it cost about 100 bucks in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    I am a huge fan of the MSR Miox, which just purifies the water, it is not a filter. I used this for all of my water for a 10 month period in 2007-8. All you need is batteries and salt. It is about the size of one of those large sharpie markers. I think it cost about 100 bucks in 2007
    certainly an interesting product, but having to wait 4 hours for the destruction of Cryto is just too long IMHO. At least for an active hunt where water may be hard to find, like sheep or goat.

Default Tips for this thread

Michael~ maybe you can put a suspense for the categories (you originally listed 18 items, but more surfaced RIFLE/OPTICS). As with any "gear" junkies there are different types of gear for a specific hunt. I don't take my cataraft on a sheep hunt, nor would I bring trekking poles on a moose hunt. I admire your intent, but think this post should should be tweaked to read "to encompass everyone's wish lists for any outdoor outing." This could include hiking, hunting (sheep, grizz, moose, bou, whatever), rafting, fishing, ect. Since this post is on the gear list, I'd suggest going with the "wishlist" approach, set a time to add your catagories (your 18 + are a great start) and once the equipment items are identified/charecterized to have the gear junkies "VOTE" on their dreamy expensive (money's not an option) gear; the Best of the Best... Sir! Lol...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Anyone with any ideas on where I can get info on large expedition tents like the North Face 2 Meter or the North Face Dome 8???? Looking for detailed reviews, pictures, and other pertinant info...

Quote Originally Posted by Elksack View Post
    The most important piece of equipment is a rifle.
    I take (I will dream about) a black on black D'arcy Echols in .338WM topped with a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    certainly an interesting product, but having to wait 4 hours for the destruction of Cryto is just too long IMHO. At least for an active hunt where water may be hard to find, like sheep or goat.
    Would a filter be better? I have been thinking about buying a good large filter lately.

for most of my travels I take a Katadyn hiker though I would prefer a hiker pro. If light weight and a solid alpine adventure where clear streams are common was in order I would take the aquamira 2 part drops. MSR also makes good filters by all reports but I haven't played with them.

Default My top gear

This is not really my list of TOP gear, more like a list of my gear but it seems to work good for me.

Here are the categories:

1. Large tents-16x20 Colorado Canvas wall tent with Outfitters stove
    2. Mountaineering tents- Hilleberg Nallo GT 2
    3. Packs- Danner Trophy
    4. Hiking boots- La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX
    5. Jackets- Rivers West/ Back Country Silver Edition
    6. Raingear-Grundens foul weather
    7. Hip boots / waders- Sourdough slippers Barney's hip boots
    8. Sleeping bags-Marmot Helium +15 1lb. 15oz.(for backpacking), North Face Goliath for all other.
    9. Sleeping pads-Therm-a-rest pro light (for backpacking), large cot with Therm-a-rest Base Camp pad for wall tent
    10. Large water filters- Hiker Pro
    11. Small water filters- Hiker Pro
    12. Headlamps-Princeton Tec Apex Pro
    13. Backpacking stoves- Jet Boil and Pocket Rocket
    14. Campstoves- Colman Stove
    15. Knives-Buck Vanguard and a Custom Knife
    16. Trekking poles- MSR Denali II
    17. Inflatable canoes- Dont own any
    18. Large rafts / catarafts-Dont own any

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast