Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting.

Talking Moose hunting.

BEST BOAT FOR MOOSE HUNTING.

There a million answers to that question. Some prefer a raft, some a canoe or small skiff with a mud buddy or go-devil surface drive, still others find a zodiac or jet ranger with a small OB jet to be the best. There is a whole other class that likes big river jet boats that you could almost live aboard. There is another class that prefer a boat designed to run in a stream 1/2 the width of your morning leak. Then there is that group of nuts that can't decide between a plane and a boat so they mate the two together and make a ton of noise going places where no boat has any business being!
    Which group has the perfect boat? The answer is they all do! Don't believe me? Just ask em!

I have to agree with LuJon, but, if I only had one choice in the world this is what I would have for a "moosehunting boat."

Lowe flat bottom, Model 1960 (19' long, 60" bottom) with a Honda 90hp or 115hp outboard jet, stand up counsel mounted in the back/center. The rest of the boat would be wide open.

Light weight, hauls a great payload (including 4 wheeler) , great on fuel with this set up and easy to get unstuck in those "tight spots."

Quote Originally Posted by moosehunter View Post
    BEST BOAT FOR MOOSE HUNTING.
    The big question is "where do you plan on doing your moose hunting?"

Default Air boat.

I had a 1960 with a merc 115 jet and now i owen an air boat it is the only way to go. You can go any where you want at any time. It is the only boat for me.

I had a 1960 with a merc 115 jet and now i owen an air boat it is the only way to go. You can go any where you want at any time. It is the only boat for me.
    And there is no telling an airboat guy different.... Well you can try but they will never hear you

I've been driving airboats of many kinds for 18 years now. Can you imagine I was driving airboats solo before I hit double digits, what was my ol' man thinking? And I completely understand what you are saying Lujon. I was there, that's until I spent a bunch of time in an XS with a driver that will show what the boat is capable of. An XS with a good driver can follow me in my airboat, lets say %98 of the places I go. The advantages of an airboat are obvious, but the more time I spend in these shallow running jet boats the more I realize they are better suited for all around Alaskan river conditions.

An airboat simply allows you to get into waterless swamps, They jump on step in the shallowest of water, and allow for more margin of error. Enter rough water, wind, or deep deep water and the boat is out of its element. It's a give and take, just like it is with any other boat. There are times I'm unbelievably happy with my airboat and other times I'm so bitter I'm ready to just give it away. But I wanted a boat that would would get me through the Jim Creek flats and into the swamps, so I went with an airboat.

Someone on this forum awhile back said airboaters make good jeboat drivers, I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

Btw Lujon, there's still a spot available for you in my boat this spring when Knik opens. Sorry that didn't happen last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    And there is no telling an airboat guy different.... Well you can try but they will never hear you

Hi All I Have Tryed Them All And They All Work Good But As I Get Older And Wiser I Find It Nice That I Stay Warm And Dry And I Don't Hurt My Back Trying To Pick Moose Up And I Can Go Just About Any Where I Want To Go Winter Our Summer And Still Be Warm And Dry And I Run A Airboat, I Use To Cuss Them For Being Loud But Over The Years With Diffrent Motors And Diffrent Props The Noise Level Has Came Down. But Everone Has There Ways They Like To Hunt And The Ways They Like To Get There. And Thats What Counts The Most. Skip

[QUOTE=Water_Gremlin;401669]
    Someone on this forum awhile back said airboaters make good jeboat drivers, I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

They both have to be a bit nutz! Happy New Year

Because We Will Try To Go Places That Most People Will Not Go
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you measure? My measureing criteria would include that a boat would get you to the moose and back year after year. Put you in an area with some solitude and moose available. Make the trip as warm, comfortable, and safe as possible. Be able to haul everything you need in and haul all meat out without loss or damage to the elements. Only time can tell if it was the best boat when you look back at the years of success and possibly failures. Mabey it is a simple formula - Moose Hauled with serious deductions for engine failure and meat loss.

So...........why did you ask "BEST BOAT FOR MOOSE HUNTING. "
    If you already knew the answer?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ive been using a 21 foot northriver commander for a few years now. fast, warm, comfortable, big payloads, and i even been to the gulf via PWS a few times with it banging the big lings. now im starting to realize the drawbacks. limited access to privacy, expensive to operate, not stealthy at all, the most that affects me is the operating costs. i am going to sell the beast and get set up with a squarestern and get back to the basics. ill have to fight the elements and not get myself in a hurry but the places you can get to and the cost of operation will be worth it. looking at the 17 foot osagian with an 8 hp, motor lift, and a spray skirt to keep things dry.

The only thing I have against airboats is:

They are expensive to purchase, maintain, fix and feed!

A year back I use to run across the flats here in a friends airboat that he later sold. It was nice, no doubt. Shoot a moose and put the boat in front of the critter while idling to keep the mosquitos, gnats and white socks off you so a guy would be drivin' out of his skull.

Last year was a bank breaker for you airboaters at close to 5 bucks a gal. Ouch!
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

who knows a good site to veiw air boats in action? who sells 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by pineridge View Post
    who knows a good site to veiw air boats in action? who sells 'em?
    You can hit youtube and search for airboat or alaska airboat and watch dozens of vids

I Build Them Here In Fairbanks And Leanard With Alaskan Airboats

Here's my boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LX1EZnyH04

This is the first style airboat I ever drove. They are a blast and get into the narrowest of places. Can you imagine a boat that weighs next to nothing, pumps out 150hp, and burns 4gph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDakmD3v0sQ

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Here's my boat
    Too bad the good vid got yanked...Maybe I'll try to upload it again...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

When I first read this thread I thought it was a question thread not an opinion. Every boat has it's place but I will say I have been hunting the interior for quite some time and I have never seen an airboat while hunting. That would lead me to believe they have a much shorter range than I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast