Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goofed with various lubes for the ARs in cool temps

Default Goofed with various lubes for the ARs in cool temps

Played around with some oils and lubes I had in a box which has been in the back of my truck all winter. This stuff was applied cold to cold Bolts and Bolt carriers.
    Since my main job is flying there are a couple of oddball items.
    I cleaned in between with MEK.

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
    Negative 10 to Negative 20 F.

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340---------Very Fluid, Extremely slippery
    Marvel Mystery Oil------------------------- Very fluid, Very slippery
    3 in 1 Oil----------------------------------- Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    LPS-2 ------------------------------------- Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery
    Klean-Bore Formula 3--------------------- Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery
    Tri-Flow----------------------------------- Separated, does not adhere or film on metal
    Break-Free--------------------------------- Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like
    Mil-Tech------------------------------------ Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like
    Outers Gun Oil ------------------------------Very thick syrup. Tacky
    Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil -----------Separated, some was in thick jell state.
    Rem Oil------------------------------------ Thick jell, tacky
    Boe Shield T-9----------------------------- Thick Jell, tacky
    Corrosion X HD--------------------------- Thick jell, tacky
    Ballistol ------------------------------------ very thick jell. Separation
    Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil---------------Very Thick, glue like
    AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil----------- Very thick, glue like
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Interseting

Thanks Float Pilot, your results kind of surprised me in a couple of those. I thought Rem oil would fare better and liked 3 in one, having used this alot over the years. Nice job, Mark

I am still using some of that Tough Guy Oil from Nitroman, works awesome in any temps.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I was really surprised at how good Marvel oil stays at cold temps.

Plus really worried about the supposedly synthetic oil in my airplanes crank case. That stuff was as thick as Elmers glue.

Did you shoot the rifle with those lubes? I think your top three might "burn" off after a few rounds and then fail to lubricate. Some of the ones that were initially a little thick would quickly soften up as the bolt carrier group starts to warm. The military LAW (lubricant, arctic weather) lube is a bit thick at cold temps as well and still protects just fine without any function failures.

I used to use Eezox on my AR's until it started showing the "burn" off that I mentioned. Eezox was proven by the Canadian military to be the best exteme cold weather lube during several tests as well as actual use on semi auto pistols. I've found it to work extremely well on all of my firearms in cold temps, except for gas impingement designs like the AR.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Only 10 shots with cooling in between shots.

When it got down into the 50 below range up at Greely, the LAW stuff was not letting the M2HBs, M-240s or the old M-60s work like they should particularly after they were shot for awhile and then allowed to refreeze.
    I had to clean my M2 on my Track with mo-gas and then lubed it with arctic synthetic brake fluid. It worked for a week afterwards shooting live rounds and lots of blanks. Which are far dirtier than projectile ammo.

We were using a lot of Mil-Tech before I retired from the blue branch reserves. It was trendy but not all that wonderful.

I ended up using whatever I could afford on my Sig220 for my State job. Usually a swipe of Rig grease on the rails since I had a bunch of it. It was really never exposed since I was a suit for the last 11 years of that career. When I was on patrol I think I was spraying it (and the others) down with silicone every now and then.

When I was working in Fort Yukon, I had to clean out all the lube in my revolver and used One Puff silver dry lube. Some sort of graphite stuff.
    At 60 to 70 below my autos did not wrok past one or two shots and my wheelguns froze solid until I took all the oil out of them with acetone or MEK.

Default cold temp lubes

Thanks for the info!

I see most of the new cars use 5W-30 oil now year round. I'll have to cool some of that down and see how it looks.

Regular automatic transmission fluid was fluid down to -40 or below and seems to work pretty good in guns. I haven't tried the synthetic stuff yet but it should be better. Did you ever play with ATF on guns?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

FP, thanks for the info. Gave rep points but forgot to put my name in there.

So what are you using on your rig? Do you recommend these for warmer temps too?

Default Thanks...

...Floatpilot for taking the time to share your observations with us. I enjoyed reading through your data, and it was interesting that Breakfree didn't "rank" nearer the top. I've been using and recommending it for many years, especially for late fall/early winter deer hunts up here. Does anyone know if any of the higher rated lubricants leave a film that will build-up over time?

I have tried Break-Free during the winter up at Fort Greely and it did not do so great. Of course niether did LAW (the arctic weight mil oil) Butt that was at 56 below zero. Plus I often thought that somebody was pouring regular Mil Oil into the Arctic oil bottles. There was a high Bubba factor in many of my units.

Tetra gun oil is supposed to be good stuff and one of our brothers here is testing it. Sounds good so far.

Plus there is some stuff called TW25B has anyone tried that.

This Penn Oil stuff may be too thin for prolnged use in semi-autos. But looks good for bolt actions, lever actions and revolvers.

Default tw 25b

I have been using that for a while. i never have any problems and it doesn't seem tacky but i have never used it at -56

From what i hear tetra is good. i picked up a bottle of otis dry lube today and am gonna give that a whirl when i can get out to the range.

A military buddy of mine said for the extreme cold that he lubes his duty weapon with graphite powder. Anyone heard anythin like that?

(i dont want to do it on a rifle i have to pay for until i get other info lol)

Default Been using Tetra in My AR...

but then, we haven't dipped below zero this year yet when I've had it out. Have also lubed up the Garand, M1 Carbine, 1911's, S&W revolvers, and Beretta 96 and SA XD's with it. Again, we haven't had the bitter cold you fellers get on a daily basis, but I sure like it the bit that I've used it.....
    I 'acquired' a one pound can of powdered dry graphite years ago when I was stationed in Montana at Malmstrom Airplane Patch. There were days when it'd get to around -15 and stay there for awhile, and then the wind would come whipping down out of Alberta to make things interesting. I used it in my .22 semi autos, as well as in my revolvers and bolt action rifles, and had no issues, except that it won't give corrosion protection like a good oil or grease will, so in the end it took more maintenance to keep the evil red dust from forming on the nice blue surfaces. That was also about the time I discovered Johnson's Paste Floor Wax, and started giving the exposed, non-bearing surfaces a good coat of that before heading out for a hunt.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 01-01-2009 at 17:47. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    I am still using some of that Tough Guy Oil from Nitroman, works awesome in any temps.
    Thanks for the plug MARV, but it is called Tough Gun Oil.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman, what is the scoop on your oil? Are you still selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Nitroman, what is the scoop on your oil? Are you still selling it?
    Yes, but the problem is shipping it. I think I am going to have to get an exemption, which will take a while.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Slip2000 is the "bees knees" so to speak. It doesn't freeze or burn off in the higher temps in ARs. It has a temperature range of +1250 to -110 degrees, so I think even you guys in Squarebanks would be safe using it! On top of that it doesn't collect dust and grime like some other lubes.

http://www.slip2000.com/

Default Applications of Slip2000?

Akav8r...what applications have you tried with Slip2000? I used the link you provided (thanks), and did the read-up. It does sound very interesting, and it's apparently not teflon based (good). If I'm reading correctly, it's marketed as a "do everything" kind of product, i.e., cleaner/degreaser, lubricant, preservative, cereal topping, etc.. I'm just curious how people are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Yes, but the problem is shipping it. I think I am going to have to get an exemption, which will take a while.

I'm down to the last little bit of mine Nitroman...

Your oil is a good product. I hope you are able to get around the hurdles and get your product on the market!

I have some stuff that William Geissele from Geissele Automatics sent me with one of his triggers to test for him. It's supposed to be good down to -40 below. I've never used it in anything more than -30 below so it's worked so far.

The stuff that he (Mr. Geissele) sent me is very thick. It's hard to get it out of the bottle. Once you get it on the gun it smooths out and stays on the gun... It seems to work very well, but I don't know who made it... I guess I'll have to e-mail him and find out!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Akav8r...what applications have you tried with Slip2000?
    AR-15, Glock, and holster snaps BTW, they have products for specific purposes in addition to their CLP (called their Extreme Weapons Lubricant). Here's a good write up on AR lubing and cleaning:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Lub...rs-t19367.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast